Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by Brian D Sta » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 04:23:43

     A friend of mine foolishly purchased a Zoom 24.0 a while back and is now
wondering if he will be able to upgrade to v.34 when it's official.  He
recently called ZOOM and requested the newest EPROMS, which were sent to him.
What's interesting is that the EPROMS are the same kind used in the ZOOM 28.8.
He asked ZOOM if he would be able to upgrade, but the salesperson was unsure,
and mumbled something about incompatible data pumps. His question is whether
or not ZOOM will offer an upgrade option, or even if it's posible with 24.0?
any info greatly appreciated.

--
Brian D Stark

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by dsh.. » Sun, 01 May 1994 02:54:35

>      A friend of mine foolishly purchased a Zoom 24.0 a while back and is now
> wondering if he will be able to upgrade to v.34 when it's official.  He
> recently called ZOOM and requested the newest EPROMS, which were sent to him.
> What's interesting is that the EPROMS are the same kind used in the ZOOM 28.8.
> He asked ZOOM if he would be able to upgrade, but the salesperson was unsure,
> and mumbled something about incompatible data pumps. His question is whether
> or not ZOOM will offer an upgrade option, or even if it's posible with 24.0?
> any info greatly appreciated.

> --
> Brian D Stark

I bought a 24k also but now the 28.8's are as cheap as the 24k! Anyway, could
you please find out what the latest version of the EPROMS are. I would like the
new chips if mine are old. Also, I vote that if Zoom doesn't offer some type of
v.34 upgrade (while offering one for the 28.8's) that we all call them and *
and moan until they do. They can't just abandon the line right after introducing
it. They should offer something like a trade in maybe (at a reasonable price...
not like $100 or something).

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by Brian D Sta » Sun, 01 May 1994 03:29:54

writes:

Quote:>I bought a 24k also but now the 28.8's are as cheap as the 24k! Anyway, could
>you please find out what the latest version of the EPROMS are.I would like the
>new chips if mine are old.

Call ZOOM's technical support line. 1-617-423-1076  9-5 EST
Tell them that you want the newest EEPROM chip for your 24.0. Be sure to have
your serial # handy, so they can identify which chip you need. Besides the
long distance call, it's a free upgrade. They'll also send it to you for free.
Since my friend has yet to recieve his chip, (just requested them yesterday)
I can't give you the number on this chip. Just give ZOOM and they'll handle
everything.

Quote:>Also, I vote that if Zoom doesn't offer some type of
>v.34 upgrade (while offering one for the 28.8's) that we all call them and
>* and moan until they do. They can't just abandon the line right after
>introducing it. They should offer something like a trade in maybe (at a
>reasonable price... not like $100 or something).

I have heard alot of people say that the ZOOM 28.8 chips are all socketed,
meaning that all the chips can be taken out.  That is not the case with the
ZOOM 24.0, only the Rockwell chip and the EEPROM chip are socketed. So a
trade-in is inevitable...that is if ZOOM has one.  Even though some people are
bragging about the upgradeability of some modems, I'd still want one made
specifically for the v.34 standard. It's very posible that the v.34 standard
may be better utilized by adding certain chips not available to fit on the
present 28.8 modems. So I'm all for an available trade in, even though this is
my friend's modem.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trade-in is around
$100, a matter of fact I consider that to be pretty reasonable. (Even though
ZOOM ripped you/my friend off by making the 24.0 available.)

I had the ZOOM 24.0 in my computer and was very unhappy with it. It connected
fine to 24.0>28.0, but when it sat idly on some 14.4 it would just hang up for
no reason at all. On some boards I couldn't conect at all.
    Alot of people have been giving *to ZOOM for their crappy 24.0,28.8
v.fc modems.  Hopefully they will get there act straight with their new 28.8
v.fast modems this summer. I own a 14.4 ZOOM and believe it to be flawless and
perfect. :) I have had no problems with it whatsover. But since I am a heavy
modem user, and because of ZOOM v.fc problems, I plan to upgrade to the ZyXEL
modems when the v.34 is standard. I know they are more expensive, but I'm
looking for the best. I don't care for the USR. :)

What problems/triumphs have you had with the ZOOM 24.0 modem?

--
Brian D Stark

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by dsh.. » Tue, 03 May 1994 03:10:59

> writes:

>>I bought a 24k also but now the 28.8's are as cheap as the 24k! Anyway, could
>>you please find out what the latest version of the EPROMS are.I would like the
>>new chips if mine are old.

> Call ZOOM's technical support line. 1-617-423-1076  9-5 EST
> Tell them that you want the newest EEPROM chip for your 24.0. Be sure to have
> your serial # handy, so they can identify which chip you need. Besides the
> long distance call, it's a free upgrade. They'll also send it to you for free.
> Since my friend has yet to recieve his chip, (just requested them yesterday)
> I can't give you the number on this chip. Just give ZOOM and they'll handle
> everything.

>>Also, I vote that if Zoom doesn't offer some type of
>>v.34 upgrade (while offering one for the 28.8's) that we all call them and
>>* and moan until they do. They can't just abandon the line right after
>>introducing it. They should offer something like a trade in maybe (at a
>>reasonable price... not like $100 or something).

> I have heard alot of people say that the ZOOM 28.8 chips are all socketed,
> meaning that all the chips can be taken out.  That is not the case with the
> ZOOM 24.0, only the Rockwell chip and the EEPROM chip are socketed. So a
> trade-in is inevitable...that is if ZOOM has one.  Even though some people are
> bragging about the upgradeability of some modems, I'd still want one made
> specifically for the v.34 standard. It's very posible that the v.34 standard
> may be better utilized by adding certain chips not available to fit on the
> present 28.8 modems. So I'm all for an available trade in, even though this is
> my friend's modem.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trade-in is around
> $100, a matter of fact I consider that to be pretty reasonable. (Even though
> ZOOM ripped you/my friend off by making the 24.0 available.)

> I had the ZOOM 24.0 in my computer and was very unhappy with it. It connected
> fine to 24.0>28.0, but when it sat idly on some 14.4 it would just hang up for
> no reason at all. On some boards I couldn't conect at all.
>     Alot of people have been giving *to ZOOM for their crappy 24.0,28.8
> v.fc modems.  Hopefully they will get there act straight with their new 28.8
> v.fast modems this summer. I own a 14.4 ZOOM and believe it to be flawless and
> perfect. :) I have had no problems with it whatsover. But since I am a heavy
> modem user, and because of ZOOM v.fc problems, I plan to upgrade to the ZyXEL
> modems when the v.34 is standard. I know they are more expensive, but I'm
> looking for the best. I don't care for the USR. :)

> What problems/triumphs have you had with the ZOOM 24.0 modem?

> --
> Brian D Stark

Well now my 24k Zoom works flawlessly. The only problem is the connection
speed handshaking. At 14.4, it always works fine and dandy. But if I try to
connect to a v.fast, the modem doesn't always connect at 24k. Although many
people say it's line noise, I don't think that's the case with the ZOoms. ALso
since the rockwell chip is socketed, isn't that the only cheap they really need
to swap? What other chips would they need to replace to make the v.34 standard?

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by pum » Tue, 03 May 1994 12:11:30

>writes:
>>introducing it. They should offer something like a trade in maybe (at a
>>reasonable price... not like $100 or something).

Trade-ins cost the company a lot for administration, handling - and you
want it at a reasonable price.  Everyone would probably be better of
selling their old equipment privately and buying a new one.  You can't
expect a manufacturer to sell something for a rock-bottom price, and
then offer you great deals when the next model comes out.  Sure prices
go down or new models come out right after you buy one - that's life.

Quote:>    Alot of people have been giving *to ZOOM for their crappy 24.0,28.8
>v.fc modems.  Hopefully they will get there act straight with their new 28.8
>v.fast modems this summer. I own a 14.4 ZOOM and believe it to be flawless and
>perfect. :) I have had no problems with it whatsover.

Personally, I would stick with someone with a good track record.
It might cost more, but you get what you pay for, generally.

--

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by Brian D Sta » Tue, 03 May 1994 15:31:03

>> What problems/triumphs have you had with the ZOOM 24.0 modem?

>> --
>> Brian D Stark

>Well now my 24k Zoom works flawlessly. The only problem is the connection
>speed handshaking. At 14.4, it always works fine and dandy. But if I try to
>connect to a v.fast, the modem doesn't always connect at 24k. Although many
>people say it's line noise, I don't think that's the case with the Zooms. Also
>since the rockwell chip is socketed,isn't that the only cheap they really need
>to swap?What other chips would they need to replace to make the v.34 standard?

Common sense says your correct, but I know there has to be a hitch somewhere.
Anybody out there care to comment about the upgrading process from a
24.0>28.8 v.34? For example, what new chips will have to be added to your
existing 28.8 modem to make it v.34 standard?

--
Brian D Stark

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by Brian D Sta » Tue, 03 May 1994 15:45:47

>>  writes:
>> They should offer something like a trade in maybe (at a reasonable price..
>>not like $100 or something).
>Trade-ins cost the company a lot for administration, handling - and you
>want it at a reasonable price.  Everyone would probably be better of
>selling their old equipment privately and buying a new one.  You can't
>expect a manufacturer to sell something for a rock-bottom price, and
>then offer you great deals when the next model comes out.  Sure prices
>go down or new models come out right after you buy one - that's life.

Good point, but honestly, how many people do you think are looking for a Zoom
24.0 v.fc modem. Any offers anyone... ;)
--
Brian D Stark

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Sun, 08 May 1994 09:04:29

Quote:> Common sense says your correct, but I know there has to be a hitch somewhere.
> Anybody out there care to comment about the upgrading process from a
> 24.0>28.8 v.34? For example, what new chips will have to be added to your
> existing 28.8 modem to make it v.34 standard?

The RC240DPi/VFC or /RC288DPi/VFC data pump, respectively, need to be
replaced with a "RC288DPi/V.34" or whatever Rockwell are going to call
their V.34 data pump.
Probably new firmware will be needed, too.

--

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by Juan Carlos Le » Tue, 10 May 1994 09:55:14

>  Did ZOOM promise that it would (or could) be upgraded? Why should ZOOM
>upgrade at all, and why would they give you more than $100 for your
>modem? The 28.8 is about $150, I presume you paid about $125 for yours,

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>unless you bought it at full list somewhere. Vendors have to make a
>profit to stay in business, so live with you decision.
>--

>    TMR Associates, +1 518-370-5654  |  acquisition, device drivers.
>_____________________________________|______________________________________
>New England Winter 93-94: Many are cold but few are frozen

Only $150!!! really?!?! where? I just went to a Computer Show & Sale and the
lowest price I could fine was $199+tax.  Are you serious or just doing
"aproximations"?
Damn! I wish I could find a good price like that.

Juan

--

Major in Electrical Engineering, Computers |    empty until I have time to   |
University of Southern California          |    think on a new signature     |

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by THE JAGU » Wed, 11 May 1994 02:27:00

>>  Did ZOOM promise that it would (or could) be upgraded? Why should ZOOM
>>upgrade at all, and why would they give you more than $100 for your
>>modem? The 28.8 is about $150, I presume you paid about $125 for yours,
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>unless you bought it at full list somewhere. Vendors have to make a
>>profit to stay in business, so live with you decision.
>>--

>>    TMR Associates, +1 518-370-5654  |  acquisition, device drivers.
>>_____________________________________|______________________________________
>>New England Winter 93-94: Many are cold but few are frozen

>Only $150!!! really?!?! where? I just went to a Computer Show & Sale and the
>lowest price I could fine was $199+tax.  Are you serious or just doing
>"aproximations"?
>Damn! I wish I could find a good price like that.

>Juan

        I think He has sysop deal . I got my ZOOM for $139+tax

        Jaguar

>--

>Major in Electrical Engineering, Computers |    empty until I have time to   |
>University of Southern California          |    think on a new signature     |
>Los Angeles, CA.  USA                      *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*

Zoom 24.0 > Zoom v.34

Post by dsh.. » Thu, 12 May 1994 04:30:41

>>  Did ZOOM promise that it would (or could) be upgraded? Why should ZOOM
>>upgrade at all, and why would they give you more than $100 for your
>>modem? The 28.8 is about $150, I presume you paid about $125 for yours,
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>unless you bought it at full list somewhere. Vendors have to make a
>>profit to stay in business, so live with you decision.
>>--

>>    TMR Associates, +1 518-370-5654  |  acquisition, device drivers.
>>New England Winter 93-94: Many are cold but few are frozen

> Only $150!!! really?!?! where? I just went to a Computer Show & Sale and the
> lowest price I could fine was $199+tax.  Are you serious or just doing
> "aproximations"?
> Damn! I wish I could find a good price like that.

> Juan

Yeah i don't know where he got those prices from...the cheapest the zoom 288 is
selling for is about 190-195...and the 24k is still 169.