Wake on Ring PCI Modems anyone?

Post by Hugh » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Many  mother boards feature "wake-on-ring".  While searching for
modems, I can't find ANY PCI modems that support this feature.  (I
suppose a wire goes from the modem to the mobo.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Mike

Wake on Ring PCI Modems anyone?

Post by Man-wai Chan » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

With the power-supply turned off, how could the internal
modem gets electricity to signal the motherboard?

> Many  mother boards feature "wake-on-ring".  While searching for
> modems, I can't find ANY PCI modems that support this feature.  (I
> suppose a wire goes from the modem to the mobo.)

Wake on Ring PCI Modems anyone?

Post by Nancy Padbe » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[This followup was posted to comp.dcom.modems and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

Quote:> Many  mother boards feature "wake-on-ring".  While searching for
> modems, I can't find ANY PCI modems that support this feature.  (I
> suppose a wire goes from the modem to the mobo.)

Creative Labs Modem Blaster.  My friend had a mobo that supported this
feature and this modem.  The thing is you have to order the wire that goes
from the modem to the mobo.  He never did, so I don't know if it worked.

Good luck,
Nancy

--
Prime Images Photography
Zigzag, Oregon

http://www.primeimages.com

Wake on Ring PCI Modems anyone?

Post by Hugh » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On ATX motherboards, there is always voltage going to the motherboard.
It is important to unplug it from the wall before installing cards.
The "power-off" button isn't enough now-a-days.

-Mike

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:10:00 +0800, Man-wai Chang

>With the power-supply turned off, how could the internal
>modem gets electricity to signal the motherboard?

>> Many  mother boards feature "wake-on-ring".  While searching for
>> modems, I can't find ANY PCI modems that support this feature.  (I
>> suppose a wire goes from the modem to the mobo.)

1. PCI hardware modem & wake-on-lan/wake-on-ring swap

I am thinking of getting an internal PCI modem.  Seeing that I also
want it to run on Linux, it has to be a hardware modem (ie. non
WinModem).  I also want it to start the PC up, that is boot up.

1) Can anybody suggest such a modem (or a shortlist)?
2) I've noticed that my motherboard only has the wake-on-lan connector
and not the wake-on-ring.  Is it OK to connect the wake-on-ring
connector on the PCI modem to the wake-on-lan connector on the
motherboard?  Or is this 'dangerous'?

Thanks,
Gervase

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. MS Money V4.0 database compatibility

3. WOR (Wake-On-Ring) PCI modem - I'm trying to find one......

4. Tired of being hassled?

5. P4B-533E Wake-On-Ring (External *OK*, PCI *NOT* working)

6. buying dials

7. Anyone Have a Identa Ring/Ring Leader/Distinctive Ringing Box

8. MIPS 4640 Emulator. Vendor?

9. Need a modem that supports Wake On Ring

10. Wake on Ring (Internal Modem) - to Connect to Motherboard

11. Do USR v.90 internal modems have wake-on-ring?

12. tp 340 "wake up" from suspend with ring from modem?

13. Wake-up ring on internal modem