Crashes After 56K Modem Installed

Post by vjwo » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Just upgraded from Gateway 14.4 internal modem to Hayes Accura 56K
external  data/fax modem.  [Before this I added 32 EDO ram to my 16
RAM=48 & ran it okay for 1 day.]   I have Dunce & Netsonic Accellerator
programs but have disabled them because of the crashes.

I get crashes when I'm online or shortly after exiting.  The new modem's
great when it works, but frequently causes crashes - kernel 32,
mfc42.dll, comctl32.dll, mmpre.exe, etc. - locks up & only way to get
out is to push the On/Off button.  Yet sometimes, like now, I get
illegal operation & can keep browsing (albeit with that stupid warning
window up there - if I close it, I get kicked offline) but eventually
everything will freeze up and I have to get out.  All my .dlls are
current.  Help.

--
Vicki

1. After installing modem, Netscape crashes

I'm having a very strange problem.  This weekend I installed a 56k
modem into a computer (486DX2, 16megs, Win3.1).  After the usual
problems with jumpers and all that, I got the modem installed and
working just fine.  I can connect to the Internet without any trouble
and I can use any number of applications (mIRC, Agent, etc).  The only
problem is with browsers.  When I try to pull up the browser portion
of Netscape Communicator, the computer reboots.  I can pull up
Messenger and check my mail fine, but if I try to send something the
computer reboots.  I tried using a different browser (Opera) but it
also causes a system reboot.  In addition, if I go online with AOL
with a TCP/IP connection via Winsock Trumpet, the computer will reboot
as soon as I try to use the browser built into AOL.  However, if I
dial AOL directly, everything runs perfectly.  It's the strangest
thing I've ever seen.  Any ideas?

Please copy any replies to me via email.  I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Alan Ross

2. memory cards for new 500/505?

3. arowana 56k internal modem crashes system after2 mins

4. Satellite Video Conference: User Interface Strategies '96

5. ((Server crash) or (Browser crash) == client crash)?!

6. audio cd player uses 30% cpu time

7. 3com 56k PCI (3PC5610) modem install question

8. \tableofcontents + egs style file

9. Need help with 3COM OfficeConnect 56k Modem install

10. Rockwell 56K OK after install, restart W98 > modem hangs system

11. Problems installing Newcom 56K PCI modem

12. How Do I Exorcise Old PnP Modem to Install New 56k?

13. Can anyone successfully install and use Diamond SupraMax 56k PCI voice modem in Win98 ??????