Call waiting doesn't kick me off and I want it to!

Call waiting doesn't kick me off and I want it to!

Post by Jason Wagne » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hey all.

Are the place where I work, we have a fax machine and my computer sharing
a phone line.  When I'm online, customer's can't fax through.  So we put
call waiting on the line, hoping that I'd get kicked off the line and the
fax would be free.  Well, that only works about 25% of the time.  The rest
of the time it rings and rings for the customer, and my connection through
the computer isn't touched at all.

I called US Waste and they told me that they have no idea why this is.
All the lady could tell me was that it was in the computer, not the line.
She said they get this questions often, and the answer is always the same.

So my question is this: Is there any way to make a call waiting beep drop
my modem carrier every single time, opening up the line for the incoming
fax?  Our customers are tired of busy signals and RNAs on our fax line,
but I've got to be online for several hours a day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

often )

P.S.  Please don't suggest another phone line... In this building that
would be extremely expensive.

Call waiting doesn't kick me off and I want it to!

Post by Anthony Hi » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Are the place where I work, we have a fax machine and my computer sharing
>a phone line.  When I'm online, customer's can't fax through.  So we put
>call waiting on the line, hoping that I'd get kicked off the line and the
>fax would be free.  Well, that only works about 25% of the time.  The rest
>of the time it rings and rings for the customer, and my connection through
>the computer isn't touched at all.

        Do a DejaNews search on this subject, the question has been
answered MANY times over the past few years (it's usually asked about
3 or 4 times a week).  I think John Navas' FAQ also talks about this
briefly.

Anthony Hill          |  My opinions are those of the small

Call waiting doesn't kick me off and I want it to!

Post by Boyd Porte » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------msA25F8B3E737A36FF886C213B

<HTML>
In another thread it was suggested that M2 be put in the additional options
box.&nbsp; This has the effect of turning on the sound throughout the entire
connection, and you could then hear the beep of call waiting and manually
hang up the modem.

<P>However, the person that tried this indicated it was quite noisy --
a "low roar."

<P>A second line might be your only option.
<BR>&nbsp;

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hey all.

<P>Are the place where I work, we have a fax machine and my computer sharing
<BR>a phone line.&nbsp; When I'm online, customer's can't fax through.&nbsp;
So we put
<BR>call waiting on the line, hoping that I'd get kicked off the line and
the
<BR>fax would be free.&nbsp; Well, that only works about 25% of the time.&nbsp;
The rest
<BR>of the time it rings and rings for the customer, and my connection
through
<BR>the computer isn't touched at all.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&lt;SNIP></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>So my question is this: Is there any way to make
a call waiting beep drop
<BR>my modem carrier every single time, opening up the line for the incoming
<BR>fax?&nbsp; Our customers are tired of busy signals and RNAs on our
fax line,
<BR>but I've got to be online for several hours a day.

<P>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<BR>often )

<P>P.S.&nbsp; Please don't suggest another phone line... In this building
that
<BR>would be extremely expensive.

<P>--
<BR>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<BR>Jason Wagner&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
bsp;&nbsp;
www.primenet.com/~jason</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<BR>bp3
<BR>--
<BR>Boyd Porter, III

<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------msA25F8B3E737A36FF886C213B

<encoded_portion_removed>
3ksUX9UKdRCbSsv3hWo=
--------------msA25F8B3E737A36FF886C213B--

Call waiting doesn't kick me off and I want it to!

Post by David Smi » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

For a V.34 modem, unless it is a very bad one it can handle a much longer
break that call waiting, try picking up a handset on the same line and put
short beeps into it.  On my courier, connected to an ascend Max at V.34+
(33.6k usually) it can take 5-10min of the phone being off the hook
playing sounds to drop the connection, because it continues to retrain
down.  Modems are designed to keep the conection.

You can, as I do, set M2 (usually, check your manaul) to turn the speaker
on all the time, with the USR modems there is a dial or lever to change
the volume at any time, the only manufacture that I know of that does
that, it is nice.  I can catch it ~80-90% of the time when I am at the
computer, it is a pause rather the the beep you may expect.  My wife
doesn't notice though, so YMMV.

You can get a cheap 14.4k modem, as at least the ones I have worked with
tend to drop off >75% of the time withen two beeps.

The only way to catch all of them, or even the majority is to get an extra
phone line.  HOWEVER you may not need another pair of wires.  If you have
ISDN you can get two "lines" on one pair of wires, as the two D channels
can be used independly and can have two different phone numbers.  The
would also possable increse your connection speed.

Luck.

BTW whatever you used to post looks like hell, html isn't a good medium
for anything that could possably be looked at by something that doesn't
understand it.

David A. Smith

The box said: "Needs Windows 3.1 or better," so I bought a Macintosh.