Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by BO » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again, this
lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
things to act.

It's a PCI based 56k lt winmodem if you need more info, email me...
Please reply, someone, anyone...

Post by PoG » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
>the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
>lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
>mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again, this
>lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
>things to act.

>It's a PCI based 56k lt winmodem if you need more info, email me...
>Please reply, someone, anyone...

----------------------
To be of any possible assitance, I need to know what ports and IRQs are
being used by your system, starting with:
        What port is your mouse on?
        Which IRQ is assigned to the mouse?
        Same info for your modem?
        Are there any ports assigned to your computer that are open but
not being used?
        Are you using Win 95 or 98?
        What driver are you using for your modem?
        Are there ANY conflicts in Device Manager?

You can get a complete list of device & IRQ assignments by double
clicking on "Computer" at the top of the Control Panel/System/Device
manager screen.

--
PoGo
http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/3133

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by John Nav » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
>the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
>lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
>mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again, this
>lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
>things to act.

>It's a PCI based 56k lt winmodem if you need more info, email me...
>Please reply, someone, anyone...

It sounds like a poorly-written driver.  I've seen this problem on other
Lucent host-based modems, one of their few real defects.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Post by Hooda Ges » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
>the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
>lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
>mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again, this
>lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
>things to act.

It is quite normal. My USR Winmodem does similar things though it only
seems to affect the mouse noticeably at disconnect, lasts no more than a
second or 2. When seizing the modem, it is only momentary.

Not a big problem, I don't think. Just an annoyance.

Hooda

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by PoG » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>>I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
>>the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
>>lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
>>mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again, this
>>lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
>>things to act.

>>It's a PCI based 56k lt winmodem if you need more info, email me...
>>Please reply, someone, anyone...

>It sounds like a poorly-written driver.  I've seen this problem on other
>Lucent host-based modems, one of their few real defects.

-----------------------------
You are probably right, John, and Hooda's comment is also appropiate.

It's coincidental that I happen to be collecting data on a possibly
similar problem affecting modem momentary stops during download wherein
mouse movement restarts the download.

I haven't collected enough yet to even have a defined inquiry direction,
but there seems to be preliminary indications of a motherboard/cache
relationship to the phenomena. I certainly don't wish to complicate what
you and Hooda  point out as a simple issue by my initial e*ment over
a potential new source of data on an only remotely related issue.

Sometimes I do break that valuable rule of "Think first ... Open mouth
second".

--
PoGo
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Don't try to teach a pig to sing ...
It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by John Nav » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>>I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
>>the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
>>lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
>>mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again, this
>>lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
>>things to act.

>It is quite normal. My USR Winmodem does similar things though it only
>seems to affect the mouse noticeably at disconnect, lasts no more than a
>second or 2. When seizing the modem, it is only momentary.

>Not a big problem, I don't think. Just an annoyance.

Actually, it is not normal and can be quite a serious problem depending on
what you are doing, since it effectively shuts down normal multitasking;
e.g., if you were burning a CD-R at the same time, there would be a risk of
underrun that would turn the CD-R into a coaster.  It is caused by sloppy
programming that fails to share the processor properly.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by John Nav » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>It's coincidental that I happen to be collecting data on a possibly
>similar problem affecting modem momentary stops during download wherein
>mouse movement restarts the download.

With those particular symptoms I would suspect a hardware problem, a
conflict and/or a lost interrupt problem.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by Hooda Ges » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>>It is quite normal. My USR Winmodem does similar things though it only
>>seems to affect the mouse noticeably at disconnect, lasts no more than
>>second or 2. When seizing the modem, it is only momentary.

>>Not a big problem, I don't think. Just an annoyance.

>Actually, it is not normal and can be quite a serious problem depending
on
>what you are doing, since it effectively shuts down normal
multitasking;
>e.g., if you were burning a CD-R at the same time, there would be a
risk of
>underrun that would turn the CD-R into a coaster.  It is caused by
sloppy
>programming that fails to share the processor properly.

Why would I be burning a CD-ROM while dialing up the internet (or being
on the Internet) when I *know* my modem causes a big pause when
connecting or disconnecting????

I can't imagine doing something CPU critical and then using a peripheral
which snags exclusive CPU time.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that would be incredibly stupid?

If I needed to be online while burning a CD-ROM, I'd make darn sure I
had spent a decent amount of money on a non-CPU-using modem...

By "normal", I meant for Winmodems... which it is. Someday, when
everyone programs as well as you and does nothing sloppily, this won't
be an issue, I am sure. In the meantime, we muddle along and assign
things like "annoyance" to those things that do not significantly
interfere with our day-to-day functioning.

Hooda

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by John Nav » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>>[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>>>It is quite normal. My USR Winmodem does similar things though it only
>>>seems to affect the mouse noticeably at disconnect, lasts no more than
>>>second or 2. When seizing the modem, it is only momentary.

>>>Not a big problem, I don't think. Just an annoyance.
>>Actually, it is not normal and can be quite a serious problem depending
>on
>>what you are doing, since it effectively shuts down normal
>multitasking;
>>e.g., if you were burning a CD-R at the same time, there would be a
>risk of
>>underrun that would turn the CD-R into a coaster.  It is caused by
>sloppy
>>programming that fails to share the processor properly.
>Why would I be burning a CD-ROM while dialing up the internet (or being
>on the Internet) when I *know* my modem causes a big pause when
>connecting or disconnecting????

Why would I allow hardware on my system that I *know* would prevent me from
doing things I want to do????  ;-)  (I routinely surf the Web while
burning.)

Quote:>I can't imagine doing something CPU critical and then using a peripheral
>which snags exclusive CPU time.

>Is it just me or does anyone else think that would be incredibly stupid?

>If I needed to be online while burning a CD-ROM, I'd make darn sure I
>had spent a decent amount of money on a non-CPU-using modem...

The problem isn't the amount of CPU usage -- there's more than enough
processor power to go around -- it's poorly-written modem drivers that don't
share the CPU properly.  This kind of thing is the source of endless
problems (e.g., modem CRC errors caused by poorly-written video drivers),
which I why I don't allow them on my systems except for testing purposes.

Quote:>By "normal", I meant for Winmodems... which it is. Someday, when
>everyone programs as well as you and does nothing sloppily, this won't
>be an issue, I am sure. In the meantime, we muddle along and assign
>things like "annoyance" to those things that do not significantly
>interfere with our day-to-day functioning.

I respectfully disagree.  This isn't rocket science, and properly-written
alternatives are readily available.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by Stanley Diamon » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hey, a dispute that has some substance to it.  YES!  For what it's worth, I
think both you and Hooda are correct.  I don't know how that can be, but it
is.

Anyway, Mr. N, would you care to reveal to us where the readily available
properly written alternatives can be obtained?

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by John Nav » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>Anyway, Mr. N, would you care to reveal to us where the readily available
>properly written alternatives can be obtained?

Perhaps the best multitasker I've tested was a Motorola "soft" (host-based)
modem.

--

Post by Dennis » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
>the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
>lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
>mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again, this
>lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
>things to act.

>It's a PCI based 56k lt winmodem if you need more info, email me...
>Please reply, someone, anyone...

My Aopen FM56-P with a Rockwell chipset does that on dial-up: haven't noticed it
on disconnect.
It is irritating, like the modem's inability to support s11=45.
Dennis

Post by Hooda Ges » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

[trimmed]

Quote:

>Why would I allow hardware on my system that I *know* would prevent me
from
>doing things I want to do????  ;-)  (I routinely surf the Web while
>burning.)

Not with a Winmodem, you don't. :)

Quote:>The problem isn't the amount of CPU usage -- there's more than enough
>processor power to go around -- it's poorly-written modem drivers that
don't
>share the CPU properly.  This kind of thing is the source of endless
>problems (e.g., modem CRC errors caused by poorly-written video
drivers),
>which I why I don't allow them on my systems except for testing

purposes.

I have to wonder about this. Aren't the drivers for these winmodems
based on modules and objects and standards provided by Microsoft?

To maybe press the point, can you name a windows-modem that does not
cause that annoying (or disastrous, in your scenario) pause?

I think we have all agreed that Windows-modems are not completely
desireable but do have their place in the scheme of things. That is,
they are perfectly fine for use if they work well within the
software/hardware environment you function in.

For example, my Winmodem performs quite well at home for day to day net
surfing but I don't burn CD-ROMs and have no other conflicts.

Quote:>>By "normal", I meant for Winmodems... which it is. Someday, when
>>everyone programs as well as you and does nothing sloppily, this won't
>>be an issue, I am sure. In the meantime, we muddle along and assign
>>things like "annoyance" to those things that do not significantly
>>interfere with our day-to-day functioning.

>I respectfully disagree.  This isn't rocket science, and
properly-written
>alternatives are readily available.

Well, if there are alternatives then the market should force this to
improve, should it not?

Hooda

Post by Satc » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
> the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
> lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
> mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again, this
> lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
> things to act.

> It's a PCI based 56k lt winmodem if you need more info, email me...
> Please reply, someone, anyone...

I've been reading the thread, and it wasn't until I was in the shower this
morning that it hit me:

     Have you checked the IRQ assignments in Device Manager?

Here's what may be happening:  if the modem and the mouse port end up
sharing an interrupt, an attempt to raise an interrupt at the same time by
both devices may cause one to win and one to lose.  Because this is a
controllerless modem and not a host-signal-processing modem (I think) the
loss of an interrupt doesn't disrupt operations too much in the modem.

Frankly, this sounds like a driver design problem more than anything else.

Anyway, to the possible fix:  go to your System control panel, display the
Device manager, and check the properties for both your mouse hardware and
your modem hardware.  If they are sharing the same interrupt line, move one
of them if you can.

I have a silly sneaking suspicion you are using a serial mouse.  If so,
have you considered going to bus mouse?
--
Satch, guy, testing modems since 1984, working ARPAnet/Internet since 1972.
"Shoulder to Shoulder...Heart to Heart...Satchell to Paige!"

Mouse activity during connections AND disconnects? HELP?

Post by Hooda Ges » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>> I have one of those wonderful winmodem LT. When I start the dialing
>> the mouse ceases to function until a dialtone is reached. This only
>> lasts 3 seconds. Then when I disconnect, the same thing happens, no
>> mouse functionality until the phone is completely hung up. Again,
this
>> lasts for only 3 seconds but I *KNOW* It can't be the correct way for
>> things to act.

>     Have you checked the IRQ assignments in Device Manager?

>Here's what may be happening:  if the modem and the mouse port end up
>sharing an interrupt, an attempt to raise an interrupt at the same time
by
>both devices may cause one to win and one to lose.  Because this is a
>controllerless modem and not a host-signal-processing modem (I think)
the
>loss of an interrupt doesn't disrupt operations too much in the modem.

In my case, though mine is nowhere near as severe as his (the pause is
less than 1 second), I am using a PS/2 mouse using IRQ12 and the modem
uses IRQ11.

I think John has the right answer but I just disagree over whether it is
an annoyance or a major problem. If mine paused for 3 seconds, I would
be concerned. Since it is momentary, I consider it nothing more than an
inconvenience.

Hooda

1. Toshiba 653a - disconnects during d/l - hangs during d/l

I purchased a Toshiba 653a ISDN router last week.  It hooked up fine (configured
switch type, found SPID, ie)  All seemed to be well.

When I am downloading, it will go just so far and then disconnect the ISDN
connection (WWW, ftp, news, and mail).  Also, when I am only web surfing,
it will partially load a web page and then hang.  Sometimes it will continue
on and load and sometimes it disconnects.

The event log shows," LCP errors ".  The troubleshooting tips say to, "Check
your settings." DUH!

I previously used a Diamond Supra NetCommander and had a somewhat simaliar
problem until I turned off compression.  I tried that with the Toshiba, but
no luck.

I can send full info my the config. settings.

Anybody else had this problem?  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad

2. Removing Domain from AD

3. -------Of Mice And Modems --- Help Mouse Problems

4. some not reported bugs

5. How do you do background downloads during minimum Winsock activity time

6. MSXML 4.0 SUCKS!!!!!

7. Help. Modem maintains connection but no activity?

8. Looking For UNIX Admin (Solaris/Linux)

9. Winmodem disconnects - freezes mouse

10. Noise Bursts in Digicom Connection Pro during Voice Recording...Help..

11. Help: Modem Connection gets stuck during UUCP transfer

12. HELP Slow connection during remiror disk