Class 2 Fax Reception

Post by Victor Lopes Di » Sun, 15 Nov 1992 02:37:35

Hi everyone,
I'm writing an inbound fax program with a class 2 modem and i'm having
the following problem:
After the reception (Phase C), i get all the proper responses from the
modem saying the fax was received without errors, and the program stops
execution normally. However, when i try to convert the fax file i
received into something displayable (like postscript for example), i get
several sequencing errors that shouldn't be there.
I'm using isode-8.0's fax2ps utility and after a few errors it stops
converting, so i never get to see the whole page, even with the errors.
What i need is either a converter (preferably to postscript, or jpeg, or
even gif) that will ignore the errors and try to convert the image no
matter what; or an explanation WHY the modem receives the data
correctly, but my program doesn't. Is there any special format class 2
modems use to transmit the data to the DTE ? What can be the problem
here ? Even simple images (like a white page with "TEST" hand-written on
it) get several sequencing errors. Is there a special way class 2 modem
"pad", "fill" or "align" the bits that could make the fax2ps utility
fail to recognize the proper t.4 codes ?
Thanks, Miguel.

Class 2 Fax Reception

Post by tni.. » Tue, 17 Nov 1992 18:52:03

Quote:(Victor Lopes Dias) writes:
> I'm writing an inbound fax program with a class 2 modem and i'm having
> the following problem:
> After the reception (Phase C), i get all the proper responses from the
> modem saying the fax was received without errors, and the program stops
> execution normally. However, when i try to convert the fax file i
> received into something displayable (like postscript for example), i get
> several sequencing errors that shouldn't be there.

Are you scanning the incoming data for DLE codes, and replacing
DLE-DLE with a single DLE and doing the other substitutions called
for in the text of the version of the document supported in your
modem?

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer      | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 401243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.  | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

1. ZyXEL Elite fax reception in Class 2.0/2

Has anybody found out how to get ZyXEL E2864 analog to receice faxes in class
2 and 2.0 mode reliably? Since f/w 1.08 I'm only able to receive fax in Class
1 mode. I'm currently using f/w 1.11 and as it really has V.34 improvements
I'd like not to revert back to 1.08.

Osip Mikunis
______________________________
// NoerreBro'nx, Copenhagen DK
// Fax/BBS +45 3183 5188
// Fidonet 2:235/206

2. programs double running

3. Fax Class 1 versus Fax Class 2.0

4. sendmail MX > Newbie

5. Faxing with Class ... aka Class standards for faxing

6. What is FTP WINDOW SIZE - Need Help !

7. Class 2 Fax? class 1 fax?

8. VPN querks, NEED HELP!!!

9. Fax modems -- class 1, class 2, class 2.0 -- whats going on?

10. Fax Modem Fax reception problems: Any Ideas?

11. fax reception problem with s/r fax/modem

12. Fax Class 1 and Class 2

13. Class 2 and Class 2.0 Fax