Telco Error Message

Post by John M. Hun » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me what specific telco problem is indicated by the
recorded voice message:

"We are sorry--- due to network difficulties your call cannot be
completed at this time"

We are frequently getting this message on a local call to a Compuserve
2000 internet phone number, in lieu of the expected modem connect.
The local telco is Southwestern Bell.
-
-

John M. Hunt

Telco Error Message

Post by John Nava » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

Quote:>Can anyone tell me what specific telco problem is indicated by the
>recorded voice message:

>"We are sorry--- due to network difficulties your call cannot be
>completed at this time"

>We are frequently getting this message on a local call to a Compuserve
>2000 internet phone number, in lieu of the expected modem connect.
>The local telco is Southwestern Bell.

That usually means the telco is overloaded.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Telco Error Message

Post by w.. » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Though a _local_ call for billing purposes, it may actually be going to
a CLEC rather than another SWB local telephone line; in this case, the
message indicates SWB does not have enough "trunk capacity" to
interconnect to whatever CLEC has the Compuserve dial-in number.
This may be yet another example of passive-aggresive behavior on Bell's
part ("we have to provide interconnect, but we don't have to provide
_too_ much"); are these "local calls" flat-rate, by any chance? If so,
Bell has a strong disincentive to install more interconnect capacity,
as they will _never_ recover trunk costs on these calls...

Quote:> Can anyone tell me what specific telco problem is indicated by the
> recorded voice message:
> "We are sorry--- due to network difficulties your call cannot be
> completed at this time"
> We are frequently getting this message on a local call to a Compuserve
> 2000 internet phone number, in lieu of the expected modem connect.
> The local telco is Southwestern Bell.

--
W.D.A.Geary  Wardenclyffe Microtechnology
Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Telco Error Message

Post by Casey Gollihe » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

it's like an All Circuits busy I think.

    Casey

> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

> >Can anyone tell me what specific telco problem is indicated by the
> >recorded voice message:

> >"We are sorry--- due to network difficulties your call cannot be
> >completed at this time"

> >We are frequently getting this message on a local call to a Compuserve
> >2000 internet phone number, in lieu of the expected modem connect.
> >The local telco is Southwestern Bell.

> That usually means the telco is overloaded.

> --
> Best regards,

>       28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Telco Error Message

Post by Hooda Ges » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

It's not quite as simple as that though you do have it somewhat correct.

This condition can happen at any time, in any telco. What it means, as John
and Casey stated is "all trunks busy" or "network congestion." What that
actually means in practice can vary:

1. All trunks to the ISP's POP are in use.
2. Too many of the trunks are marked out of service (OOS) and the rest
cannot handle the load.
3. There are problems at the ISP's POP that has caused the trunks to become
marked OOS.
4. There is a network problem within the telco's own network.

I don't think there's any devious motives behind the condition.

Hooda

>Though a _local_ call for billing purposes, it may actually be going to
>a CLEC rather than another SWB local telephone line; in this case, the
>message indicates SWB does not have enough "trunk capacity" to
>interconnect to whatever CLEC has the Compuserve dial-in number.
>This may be yet another example of passive-aggresive behavior on Bell's
>part ("we have to provide interconnect, but we don't have to provide
>_too_ much"); are these "local calls" flat-rate, by any chance? If so,
>Bell has a strong disincentive to install more interconnect capacity,
>as they will _never_ recover trunk costs on these calls...

>> Can anyone tell me what specific telco problem is indicated by the
>> recorded voice message:
>> "We are sorry--- due to network difficulties your call cannot be
>> completed at this time"
>> We are frequently getting this message on a local call to a Compuserve
>> 2000 internet phone number, in lieu of the expected modem connect.
>> The local telco is Southwestern Bell.

>--
>W.D.A.Geary  Wardenclyffe Microtechnology
>Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Telco Error Message

Post by Fred Goodwin, C » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Though a _local_ call for billing purposes, it may actually be going to
>a CLEC rather than another SWB local telephone line; in this case, the
>message indicates SWB does not have enough "trunk capacity" to
>interconnect to whatever CLEC has the Compuserve dial-in number.

Or maybe that the CLEC hasn't oredered enough trunks to handle the load.

Quote:>This may be yet another example of passive-aggresive behavior on Bell's
>part ("we have to provide interconnect, but we don't have to provide
>_too_ much");

Right -- its always the bad ol' Bells' fault,

Quote:>are these "local calls" flat-rate, by any chance? If so, Bell has a
>strong disincentive to install more interconnect capacity, as they will
>_never_ recover trunk costs on these calls...

The FCC rightly ruled that these calls do not qualify for reciprocal
compensation, so at least the Bells will no longer *lose* money on these
calls.

*   Fred Goodwin, CMA          Dallas Cowboys Training Camp Page       *

1. Area Code Splits and Telco Error Messages

Now that the permissive dialing period for the 415/510 split is over,
I've been caught a couple of times still dialing 415 and getting an
intercept from the IXC.  I think the wording of the recordings is
quite indicative of the general character of the IXC's:

AT&T: "The area code for the number you have dialed has been changed
to 510."  Sprint, MCI: "The area code you have dialed has been changed
to 510."

Now come on folks, is this really that hard to get right?  I truely
believe that the wording that Sprint and MCI use will only lead to
further dialing mistakes by those unfamiliar with area code splits.

2. StorageWorks RAID Software for OpenVMS

3. Welcome to comp.unix.questions [Frequent posting]

4. Error messages in /var/log/messages

5. Upgrading 43 Catalyst 1900 from CWSI Campus

6. DNS error message in messages log

7. chapter appearance

8. Error Message"Unknown Queue Error 0x0002 Occurred"???

9. Bind 9.2.1 Error messages on Suse 8.x (Errors in reverse zone file)

10. Error message "error sending response: not enough free resources"

11. puzzling error message: syntax error near <end of file>

12. error message: /etc/namedb/named.boot:1: syntax error near