diff. between V.FAST & V.

Post by Bruce Rober » Mon, 22 Aug 1994 03:34:00

MO>   Could you tell me what problem will possiblly occur when connecting
MO> with V.FAST modem (e.g. Supra ) and comming V.34. I mean what the
MO> difference is between them...

 V.FAST was the working name for what is now V.34.  V.FAST CLASS (a
 Rockwell proprietary protocol) is what the Supra uses now.  V.FC and
 V.34 are not compatible but many folks expect *most* V.34 modems will
 also support V.FAST CLASS.

 TTFN -br-

 * RM 1.3 01036 * Mimic the turtle: to get places it sticks its neck out!

diff. between V.FAST & V.

Post by ssatchell on B » Mon, 22 Aug 1994 08:15:59

> V.FAST was the working name for what is now V.34.  V.FAST CLASS (a
> Rockwell proprietary protocol) is what the Supra uses now.  V.FC and
> V.34 are not compatible but many folks expect *most* V.34 modems will
> also support V.FAST CLASS.

Lurkers, please note:  "*most*" does not mean ALL.

So far, the only V.34 modems which have the announced ability to also talk
V.FC are those modems based on the Rockwell V.FC and V.34/FC chipsets (and
that's if the Rockwell customer enables V.FC mode, as most if not all will),
and USRobotics Courier V.34 modems.  I don't know if the USRobotics
Sportster V.34 modems will support V.FC or not, but I suspect they will.
(USRobotics representative strongly encourged to speak up on this point.)

Modems developed using other chipsets (AT&T for sure, and Sierra if they
do a V.34) most likely will *not* support V.FC modulation.

This is a licensing issue.  Rockwell would have to be willing to let
other algorithm houses get access to base documents and perhaps sample
implementations.  Remember, though, that the Rockwell Semiconductor
Division is in the business of selling silicon, not algorithms.

(If in response to this posting I get a press release from Rockwell
saying that they will licence V.Fast Class on reasonable and non-
discrimniatory terms, I will post the essence of that press release
for all to see here.)
--

1. diff. between V.FAST & V.34?

  Could you tell me what problem will possiblly occur when connecting
with V.FAST modem (e.g. Supra ) and comming V.34. I mean what the
difference is between them...
Masato Ogawa                                    Sony corp.

2. GetOpenFileName API

3. &&& PLAY AND EARN MONEY FAST &&&

4. FS: 100 user 4.1 (unopened Red box)

5. Looking for a program to calculate Soccer League Tables?

6. Supporting OS/2: What's in it for ISV's

7. diff. between V.FAST?????

8. diff icmp replies to diff routers...

9. diff.c:173: unexpected error: unexpected non-minimal diff

10. Speed/Duplex Paradox - Fast is Slow & Slow is Fast

11. Trumpet B24 + Netscape = fast.fast.fast