FatPipe - Anyone using for modem bonding?

FatPipe - Anyone using for modem bonding?

Post by Rich Kozio » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 07:32:42

Hi,

I have a multilink setup with 2 modems and connect to my ISP.  Wanted to try
3 modems, by connecting the 3-rd to teh same or another ISP, by using
another username.

Downloaded a demo of FatPipe but do not see that all 3 modems are working in
tendem.  My download speeds are not faster than the 2 modems I already use.

Has anyone setup up FatPipe or similar app successfully>

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 23:59:36

> Using MidPoint here, has been working good so far, but have not tried over

2 lines/modems with it, if current operation  is any indication it would
work well with more.
Quote:

> Not sure how the mix of MLPPP and Teaming would work.

> I was unable to get fatpipe to work with Win2K. Hoping you have, as it

seems the better way of doing it.
Quote:> (had multilink, but PhoneCo changed way ISP access is done, and it went

out with the dishwater!)

Well, I quickly gave up on FatPipe and tried MidPoint.  Same story.
MidPoint seems more ackward to work with.  One of my modems is a dual
SupraSonic, so I'm really using 2 physical modems, but making 3 connections.
I get two connection icons, one for the dual modem with both connected, and
second with the third modem.  They still do not work together.

Rich

FatPipe - Anyone using for modem bonding?

Post by Rich » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 05:02:43

me...

Quote:> Are you using SupraSonic's software?

No, have not installed it.  It has a lot of b/w for connecting and
disconnecting modems, which I'm not interested in.  It also has the shotgun
stuff, which was needed before multilink was in win.

Quote:> and/or can it be accessed as 2 separate modems?

Yes.  Both modems can be treated separatly in terms of dialing.  They use 2
coms and 1 IRQ.

Quote:> Midpoint's download trial is limited to 2 modems,may be a problem?

You may be right.

Quote:> Will MLPPP ISP allow separate logins without MLPPP for experimentation?

Don't know?

Quote:> Thoughts that occur to me...
> I just use stock windows DUN settings for each connection,make sure they

work individually, then mangle as necessary,

Quote:> setting up MidPoint for redial,etc.

Did all that.  I can connect independantly twice in win98, but not more.
One of those is a a double modem.

Quote:> I may be reading you wrong, but my setup on 2 lines has 2 systray icons,

one for each DUN, both will flash as midpoint

Quote:> load balances (per connection, not overall as the MLPPP does)

Got that too, but the transfer speed did not indicate 3 modems.  One icon
seemed to be doing all the work.

Quote:> From midpoints "display communications activity" view, you should see a

graphical web page load from both DUN
Quote:> connections, with blue/green indication of what line data is arriving on.
> -vs-  logging on with Forte Agent to one server, should show just one

connection (assumed on MLPPP)

Maybe I did not spend enough time with it.  Tests I did indicated that only
one "link" was takig the load.

Quote:> If MLPPP ISP supports it, and the SupraSonic supports it, set them up as 3

individual modems, and MLPPP all three.

I have a multilink account with one ISP and added another temp account to
same ISP for test, but Midpoint did not combine all the 3 modems under these
circumstances.  Mind you the 2 Supras were indicating only one icon.  When I
split all three, only two would connect - think it's a win limit.

Quote:> IIRC MLPPP supports 256? modems? and will add bandwidth without the

problems associated with additional software.

Is this on the server side?

Rich

FatPipe - Anyone using for modem bonding?

Post by Kevin Sharp » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 07:24:28

We had limited success with FatPipe... however, we have successfully used
the Vicomsoft SurfDoubler
(http://www.vicomsoft.com/surfdoubler/surf.main.html) with a four port
RockForce2000 board from Mainpine (http://www.mainpine.com/prodr2k.html).

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a multilink setup with 2 modems and connect to my ISP.  Wanted to
try
> 3 modems, by connecting the 3-rd to teh same or another ISP, by using
> another username.

> Downloaded a demo of FatPipe but do not see that all 3 modems are working
in
> tendem.  My download speeds are not faster than the 2 modems I already
use.

> Has anyone setup up FatPipe or similar app successfully>

> Rich

FatPipe - Anyone using for modem bonding?

Post by Kevin Sharp » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:19:29

We tested with 98SE and ME.  However, both SurfDoubler and the RockForce2000
have Win2K drivers..... a trial version can be downloaded from
http://www.vicomsoft.com/ftp_site/surf.demo.ftp.html

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:24:28 -0000, "Kevin Sharpe"

> >We had limited success with FatPipe... however, we have successfully used
> >the Vicomsoft SurfDoubler
> >(http://www.vicomsoft.com/surfdoubler/surf.main.html) with a four port
> >RockForce2000 board from Mainpine (http://www.mainpine.com/prodr2k.html).

> By any chance on Win2K? I am still hoping I missed something, and it

really does work under Win2K.

> >> Hi,

> >> I have a multilink setup with 2 modems and connect to my ISP.  Wanted
> >try
> >> 3 modems, by connecting the 3-rd to teh same or another ISP, by using
> >> another username.

> >> Downloaded a demo of FatPipe but do not see that all 3 modems are
working
> >in
> >> tendem.  My download speeds are not faster than the 2 modems I already
> >use.

> >> Has anyone setup up FatPipe or similar app successfully>

> >> Rich

> Woodsy,
> Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...

1. bonding..bonding..

A couple of bonding related questions...

Regarding bonding and I mean BONDING (not Multilink PPP):--

1)  does bonding rely on the B channels being on the same basic rate
ISDN connection or can you bond two B channels which are on different
connections?

2) does bonding require any special equipment/performance requirements
within the ISDN network or is it reliant entirely on Q.931 signalling
and end user equipment?

3) is there any requirement on maximum/minimum synchronisation and
transmission delay between the two B channels?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

RS.

2. IBM System 38 'translator'

3. Cisco vs. Linkproof, F5, Fatpipe

4. Faxing Capability

5. fatpipe kompressor ?

6. Job Role: Project Manager ( Preferred Spanish speaking ) ( Please respond at Ph: 603-324-4008 Ext: 4008 / 603-589-2426 / E-mail: vikramjits@universal-sw.com )

7. FatPipe

8. Job interview questions for Beta Tester?

9. Anyone actually using 'wake on modem' as answering machine/fax?

10. Anyone using a Newcom/Atlas PNP PCI modem with NT

11. Anyone using the Cardinal Voice modem ?

12. Cirrus Logic 28.8 Modem - Anyone used one/opinions?

13. Q: Anyone Using MultiTech Rack Mounted Modems?