This is driving me insane!!!!!

Post by jjd1 » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

    Some of you may remember me posting a message complaining about a
problem I had when I tried connecting to my ISP.  Unfortunately, I did not
provide enough information about it, so this message is just simply
restating the problem with additional information.  (It ain't spam!!)

    This problem all started when I switched to my current ISP.  Actually,
I've had this problem occur with some of my previous ISPs, but how the
problem got fixed was even more of a mystery than how it occured.  Anyways,
whenever my US Robotics Sportster 28800 modem is downloading at 3+ K/sec,
the connection pauses and never comes back.  What really ticks me off is
that I ironically don't get disconnected.  The modem on the other side stops
sending me data and my modem continuously sends requests to the other modem,
but it just stubbornly refuses to send anymore data to me.

    My ISP's modems are digital Bay Network annexes, not a standard analog
modem as a 28.8 USR. These modems are capable of analog, 56K X2 and ISDN
connections.  Someone suggested that certain brands of crappy modems may
easily cause this problem.  Even though I believe that this is mostly my
ISP's modems fault, I still think that I can change my modem's init string
to correct or reduce the possiblity of this problem.  In the Win95 setup for
my modem/DUN, I have error control enabled, data compression disabled, (DUN)
software compression enabled, port speed of 115200, FIFO buffers all the way
up, and the following string for Extra Settings :
"ATS2=255S10=255S12=0S15=128S25=250S27=48S21=200S56=128"
Btw, lowering port speed to 38400 and FIFO buffers
down does not help at all and it dramatically increases
my modem's latency.

    I set Windows to disconnect me after 10 minutes of inactivity cuz I only
have one phone line and I download a lot when I'm not at my computer.  This
problem occurs very frequently when I'm downloading, and when the connection
"ghosts out", my modem still sends data and Windows won't disconnect me
after the 10 minutes.  This really ticks me off when I download overnight
and get up to use the phone only to find it still occupied pointlessly by my
modem.  I have to run back to my computer and disconnect.

    Please give meaningful replies; avoid the type like
"get a better modem/ISP".  Also, I'd appreciate if you
Cc a copy of your reply to my e-mail.  If you've had
this problem before, please share your thoughts about
it.

This is driving me insane!!!!!

Post by Clifton T. Sharp Jr » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>     This problem all started when I switched to my current ISP.  Actually,
> I've had this problem occur with some of my previous ISPs, but how the
> problem got fixed was even more of a mystery than how it occured.  Anyways,
> whenever my US Robotics Sportster 28800 modem is downloading at 3+ K/sec,
> the connection pauses and never comes back.  What really ticks me off is
> that I ironically don't get disconnected.  The modem on the other side stops
> sending me data and my modem continuously sends requests to the other modem,
> but it just stubbornly refuses to send anymore data to me.

Either limit the connect speed to 24000, or shut off error correction.
This seems to happen when Rockwell 28.8 or 33.6 modems are talking to
non-Rockwell units; I had the same problem with my Motorola Power 3400.

|   Cliff Sharp  | Hate spam? Join The Great American Pink-Out!             |
|     WA9PDM     |  http://www.ybecker.net/pink/                            |

This is driving me insane!!!!!

Post by Jimm » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I had this problem for almost a year. Turns out my eeprom was corrupted and
i had to get the modem repaired. USRobotics Sportster Winmodem 28.8/33.6

>Hello,

>    Some of you may remember me posting a message complaining about a
>problem I had when I tried connecting to my ISP.  Unfortunately, I did not
>provide enough information about it, so this message is just simply
>restating the problem with additional information.  (It ain't spam!!)

>    This problem all started when I switched to my current ISP.  Actually,
>I've had this problem occur with some of my previous ISPs, but how the
>problem got fixed was even more of a mystery than how it occured.  Anyways,
>whenever my US Robotics Sportster 28800 modem is downloading at 3+ K/sec,
>the connection pauses and never comes back.  What really ticks me off is
>that I ironically don't get disconnected.  The modem on the other side
stops
>sending me data and my modem continuously sends requests to the other
modem,
>but it just stubbornly refuses to send anymore data to me.

>    My ISP's modems are digital Bay Network annexes, not a standard analog
>modem as a 28.8 USR. These modems are capable of analog, 56K X2 and ISDN
>connections.  Someone suggested that certain brands of crappy modems may
>easily cause this problem.  Even though I believe that this is mostly my
>ISP's modems fault, I still think that I can change my modem's init string
>to correct or reduce the possiblity of this problem.  In the Win95 setup
for
>my modem/DUN, I have error control enabled, data compression disabled,
(DUN)
>software compression enabled, port speed of 115200, FIFO buffers all the
way
>up, and the following string for Extra Settings :
>"ATS2=255S10=255S12=0S15=128S25=250S27=48S21=200S56=128"
>Btw, lowering port speed to 38400 and FIFO buffers
>down does not help at all and it dramatically increases
>my modem's latency.

>    I set Windows to disconnect me after 10 minutes of inactivity cuz I
only
>have one phone line and I download a lot when I'm not at my computer.  This
>problem occurs very frequently when I'm downloading, and when the
connection
>"ghosts out", my modem still sends data and Windows won't disconnect me
>after the 10 minutes.  This really ticks me off when I download overnight
>and get up to use the phone only to find it still occupied pointlessly by
my
>modem.  I have to run back to my computer and disconnect.

>    Please give meaningful replies; avoid the type like
>"get a better modem/ISP".  Also, I'd appreciate if you
>Cc a copy of your reply to my e-mail.  If you've had
>this problem before, please share your thoughts about
>it.

This is driving me insane!!!!!

Post by Rick Colli » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>my modem/DUN, I have error control enabled, data compression disabled, (DUN)
>software compression enabled, port speed of 115200, FIFO buffers all the way
>up,

You don't want them "all the way up".  Set the receive buffer to 14 or
lower. That's probably not the cause of the problem, but it won't
help.

Quote:>nd the following string for Extra Settings :
>"ATS2=255S10=255S12=0S15=128S25=250S27=48S21=200S56=128"

You're playing "init string roulette".  Some of those settings are
useful for certain problems, others are not.  I have no listing for
S56 at all.  It may nt be valid - and if so, the whole string is
probably being ignored.
Replace it with S15=128 (no AT is necessary).

Try that.

Rick (remove X from e-mail address)

This is driving me insane!!!!!

Post by Rick Colli » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 07 Jul 1998 16:59:55 -0500, "Clifton T. Sharp Jr."

>Either limit the connect speed to 24000, or shut off error correction.
>This seems to happen when Rockwell 28.8 or 33.6 modems are talking to
>non-Rockwell units; I had the same problem with my Motorola Power 3400.

Shutting off error correction is a foolish move.

Post by Clifton T. Sharp Jr » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> >Either limit the connect speed to 24000, or shut off error correction.
> >This seems to happen when Rockwell 28.8 or 33.6 modems are talking to
> >non-Rockwell units; I had the same problem with my Motorola Power 3400.

> Shutting off error correction is a foolish move.

It's not a great move, that's true. Theoretically, though, since he's
using it with his ISP he'll at least get the benefit of the error checking
in some of the Internet protocols, and possibly that of PPP as well.

I chose to limit mine to 24000 BPS. Slow, but it didn't stop and require
that I hang up and redial every ten minutes. And I got to keep the error
correction turned on.

I also got nothing but hogwash and doubletalk from Motorola when I asked
them repeatedly for help with the problem, which is why I bought a Zoom
when I went K56Flex. I did take them up on a Tidal Wave 56K modem bought
outright for $50, but it went to a community organization.

|   Cliff Sharp  | Hate spam? Join The Great American Pink-Out!             |
|     WA9PDM     |  http://www.ybecker.net/pink/                            |

This is driving me insane!!!!!

Post by Rick Colli » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 08 Jul 1998 02:43:40 -0500, "Clifton T. Sharp Jr."

>> Shutting off error correction is a foolish move.

>It's not a great move, that's true. Theoretically, though, since he's
>using it with his ISP he'll at least get the benefit of the error checking
>in some of the Internet protocols, and possibly that of PPP as well.

Modem-based error correction protocols increase throughput even on
links that are "perfect" and have no errors.  They do this because
they represent a "character" with 8 bits, rather than 10.  In
practice, they increase throughput by about 13% - even when there are
no errors.

Internet protocols don't do that.

Rick (remove X from e-mail address)

This is driving me insane!!!!!

Post by Dennis C » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Some USR manuals may have provided a setting of s56.5= if you can
believe
that one.  I confirmaed this with a USR Rep. at the time.  I believe
these
were very early 33.6k versions, and the setting was to disable their
prototype v.whatever

I have a old FAX from USR explaining it around here somewhere...

> >my modem/DUN, I have error control enabled, data compression disabled, (DUN)
> >software compression enabled, port speed of 115200, FIFO buffers all the way
> >up,

> You don't want them "all the way up".  Set the receive buffer to 14 or
> lower. That's probably not the cause of the problem, but it won't
> help.

> >nd the following string for Extra Settings :
> >"ATS2=255S10=255S12=0S15=128S25=250S27=48S21=200S56=128"

> You're playing "init string roulette".  Some of those settings are
> useful for certain problems, others are not.  I have no listing for
> S56 at all.  It may nt be valid - and if so, the whole string is
> probably being ignored.
> Replace it with S15=128 (no AT is necessary).

> Try that.

> Rick (remove X from e-mail address)

This is driving me insane!!!!!

Post by Dennis C » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Some USR chipsets reportedly had a "heat" related problem that would
cause
this type of symptom.  One user reported that removing the cover of his
modem and pointing a desktop fan at it for increased cooling did the
trick.  I do not recommend this course of action; rather you should get
your "DSP Rev." and "DSP Date" from "ati7" and then contact USR
Service/Repair.

"Pausing connection" was a BIG thread for awhile...

>     This problem all started when I switched to my current ISP.  Actually,
> I've had this problem occur with some of my previous ISPs, but how the
> problem got fixed was even more of a mystery than how it occured.  Anyways,
> whenever my US Robotics Sportster 28800 modem is downloading at 3+ K/sec,
> the connection pauses and never comes back.  What really ticks me off is
> that I ironically don't get disconnected.  The modem on the other side stops
> sending me data and my modem continuously sends requests to the other modem,
> but it just stubbornly refuses to send anymore data to me.

1. My connection sucks!!! Help am I going insane!!

What kind of service are you paying for?
If you are only getting a 64kbs plan than thats the best you can expect.
But if you are paying for a high service you cable line might be the
problem.  I had a cable tech come out and fix up my cable lines, he got my
lines from a negative 2 up to a positive 9.  He told me that positive 5 is a
good strong signal for a cable modem, and a positive 15 is the highest.

Hope this helps
Luckybob

2. Freezing up

3. Internet/Modem Prob - driving me insane!

4. sample/module playing code needed

5. Am I hacked? Am I at least safe?

6. FF: RISC OS 3 Style Guide and RISC OS 2 PRMs

7. I am a dumbass (No, I am)

8. Output of "netstat -i" ?

9. Help: static NAT should be easy but I'm going insane

10. VPN Client-to-PIX w/ split tunneling - i get insane!

11. Insane Interface Input/Output Rate Counters

12. Sodomy Insane

13. ISDN Liquidation Sale, INSANE prices! :-)