Internal Modem Doesn't Like New Motherboard

Internal Modem Doesn't Like New Motherboard

Post by Doug Whi » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm still having a problem with a 28.8K PPI modem working with my new
Micronics P100 motherboard.  I posted a note on this earlier, but
since then, I've tried it on both COM2 and COM3, and I have the same
result.  Once I'm connected, the modem works fine, but every time I fire
up Trumpet Winsock after a reboot, Trumpet (and presumably the modem)
thinks it's already connected, and won't auto login.  This board and
software had been working for months without a hitch until the upgrade.

I've exchanged email with PPI support, and they didn't have any
suggestions other than keeping the board away from the power supply
and the video card (which it is).  I'm going to play games with
shielding and possibly additional supply filtering over the weekend.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with this sort of
problem?  Any suggestions (other than buying an external modem) would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug White

Internal Modem Doesn't Like New Motherboard

Post by Matt F » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm still having a problem with a 28.8K PPI modem working with my new
>Micronics P100 motherboard.  I posted a note on this earlier, but
>since then, I've tried it on both COM2 and COM3, and I have the same
>result.  Once I'm connected, the modem works fine, but every time I fire
>up Trumpet Winsock after a reboot, Trumpet (and presumably the modem)
>thinks it's already connected, and won't auto login.  This board and
>software had been working for months without a hitch until the upgrade.

>I've exchanged email with PPI support, and they didn't have any
>suggestions other than keeping the board away from the power supply
>and the video card (which it is).  I'm going to play games with
>shielding and possibly additional supply filtering over the weekend.

>Does anyone else out there have any experience with this sort of
>problem?  Any suggestions (other than buying an external modem) would be
>appreciated.

>Thanks!

>Doug White

are you sure you dont have forced carrier detect enabled or forced dtr
enabled?

Post by Barr » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

:       Once I'm connected, the modem works fine, but every time I fire
: up Trumpet Winsock after a reboot, Trumpet (and presumably the modem)
: thinks it's already connected, and won't auto login.  This board and
: software had been working for months without a hitch until the upgrade.

This may sound a little dumb, but I had a similar problem where the modem
started trying to handshake before it dialed.  The solution was to add a
carriage return at the end of the modem string - it may be a special key
combination, or part of your login.cmd script (in the case of Trumpet).
And yes, mine only happened the very first time after a reboot.

Good luck.
--
Barry

Nothing is as it seems.

Internal Modem Doesn't Like New Motherboard

Post by Doug Whi » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

<>
[...]
<
<
<are you sure you dont have forced carrier detect enabled or forced dtr
<enabled?
<
Thanks for the clue!  I'd discovered that I could get Trumpet to
behave normally if I ran QuikLink II just long enough to initialize the
modem before trying Trumpet.  Something in the initialization string was
setting the modem into a state that Trumpet was happy with.  After some
experimenting with different setup strings in Windows terminal, I
tracked down the difficulty.  Somehow during all of the swapping around
of motherboards and cards, the modem power-up register got reset to the
factory defaults.  This includes setting the DCD status line high
regardless of it's actual condition.  I had also set Trumpet to use DCD
to detect when to dial.  8 months ago when I got my new modem, I shut
off the 'fake DCD' bit, and Trumpet worked just fine this way.

Once I had isolated the problem, it was a simple matter to reprogram the
modem power-up state to do DCD correctly, and now everything is back to
normal.  I still haven't figured out how the register got reset.  I
thought it was in non-volatile RAM.  One complicating factor is that I
also swapped in a new BIOS chip for the modem, but I'm almost positive I
had the dialing problems before I made that change.  Given that I've
been experiencing other problems with my motherboard, I assumed that it
was the likely source of the conflict.

Now if I could just get my video card to work right...

Thanks again!

Doug

Internal Modem Doesn't Like New Motherboard

Post by Curt. » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> <are you sure you dont have forced carrier detect enabled or forced dtr
> <enabled?
> Thanks for the clue!  I'd discovered that I could get Trumpet to
> behave normally if I ran QuikLink II just long enough to initialize the
> modem before trying Trumpet.  Something in the initialization string was
> setting the modem into a state that Trumpet was happy with.  After some
> experimenting with different setup strings in Windows terminal, I
> tracked down the difficulty.  Somehow during all of the swapping around
> of motherboards and cards, the modem power-up register got reset to the
> factory defaults.  This includes setting the DCD status line high
> regardless of it's actual condition.  I had also set Trumpet to use DCD
> to detect when to dial.  8 months ago when I got my new modem, I shut
> off the 'fake DCD' bit, and Trumpet worked just fine this way.

> Once I had isolated the problem, it was a simple matter to reprogram the
> modem power-up state to do DCD correctly, and now everything is back to
> normal.  I still haven't figured out how the register got reset.  I
> thought it was in non-volatile RAM.  One complicating factor is that I
> also swapped in a new BIOS chip for the modem, but I'm almost positive I
> had the dialing problems before I made that change.  Given that I've
> been experiencing other problems with my motherboard, I assumed that it
> was the likely source of the conflict.

The above situation is an example of the reason you should always initialize
your modem from scratch with each use instead of relying on a string stored
in non-volitile rom.  In the case of trumpet, you simply include the init string in
your script file.

Curt...

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
         Curt's High Speed Modem Page:
 http://www.teleport.com/~curt/modems.html
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

1. Old modem, new motherboard, doesn't work

My modem was working up until last week, when I upgraded my motherboard It
was more like I bought a whole new computer and put a few of the old
peaces in it.  I bought a new motherboard (P5A) and a new proccessor (amd
k62-450) and a new case (ATX (used to use AT)), now I think I am having
trouble with pnp but I am not sure.  Its an ISA modem, 33.6 USrobotics
sporster internal pnp fax modem, thats all I know, now how do I get my
modem running?

2. Is Mitsumi ATAPI-CD-Writer worth waiting for?

3. new motherboard...internal modem problem

4. sorry for the off topic - WinXP CCP

5. Help! Internal Modem Doesn't like New Motherboard

6. Lost Dialup and VPN Connections

7. Internal Modem Works but External One Doesn't !!

8. Font splattering

9. MacPPP doesn't find Internal Modem

10. Wake on Ring (Internal Modem) - to Connect to Motherboard

11. New ISP doesn't respond to my old modem

12. Please help: modem doesn't work in new house

13. new Motorola SB4220 cable modem doesn't work