Serial port settings....

Post by Bill Moo » Wed, 21 Dec 1994 07:55:29

Do the serial port settings on my computer really have any effect
on a modems ability to communicate at various speeds?
i.e. if my serial port that feeds my external modem is set to
9600, will that limit my modems ability to communicate at
faster speeds?

Serial port settings....

Post by Anthony Hi » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 09:57:06

Quote:> Do the serial port settings on my computer really have any effect
> on a modems ability to communicate at various speeds?
> i.e. if my serial port that feeds my external modem is set to
> 9600, will that limit my modems ability to communicate at
> faster speeds?

        Yup, you're modem can only send characters as fast as it receives
them (or only receive them as fast as it can send them through the serial
port).  When your serial port is set to 9600bps, the fastest you're modem
will send characters at is 960cps (9600 bits/10 bytes).  For any modem
that supports error control and data compression, you'll want to set the
serial port rate to higher than the modems actual speed (ie set the serial
port to 19.2kbps for a 9600 modem), even if you're only using error
correction and not data compression..

Anthony

--

1. BIOS serial port settings

On an Acer AP5C motherboard I find a wrong I/O base address for the
second serial port in the (AMI) BIOS setting window. The setting
fields for the two serial ports are gray and not black. I cannot
double click them in order to change the settings. Win95 detects 3
serial ports but, because of the wrong BIOS settings, only the first
one is really operational.

How can I correct the BIOS settings ?
--
Claude Frantz

2. install win2k without acpi?

3. Panasonic KX-TVS100 Serial Port Settings

4. Software: EmTec Network Suite Updated

5. basic question: possible to connect router serial port to pc serial port?

6. TV cable over UTP Cat-5?

7. Serial Port to Serial Port file xfer DOS

8. Windows XP Pro laptop login problems

9. MTU Setting on Serial Ports

10. setting up USR v.everythings on cisco's 2501 serial ports...HELP!

11. Setting Modem Serial Port Baud Rate

12. Setting up JMOD connector for serial port B for Packard Bell

13. setting LineLink 144e serial port speed