Modem w/ Wake on Ring feature

Post by micke » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

 My motherboard has the Wake on Ring (WOR) feature (Bios) but my modem seem
needs a connection which I cant see.
Is WOR on modems standard?
Which modems or brands has WOR?
Would I know just by looking at the box of the modem if it supports WOR?

My modem is the generic type - Diamond. I can find any connections to
accept the BIOS set up for WOR.

mickey

1. A Modem featuring Wake-On-Ring ?!

Hi there
I'm really interested in startingstarting my computer from anywhere by a
phone.
On most recent motherboards that went through my hands, I could always see a
Wake-on-ring header .
Someday I started to wonder if I could find a Modem that uses this WOR
header, in an as easy way, as the Wake-on-LAN header is used by NICs.
But I just couldn't find any Modem at all, that even mentioned the existence
of that WOR header ?!

Now I'm just looking for  a ( external ?) Modem that powers on my PC
whenever my phone rings.
I'm using a standard analog telephone line (no fancy digital stuff like
ISDN). I have an ATX compliant Abit KT7 Mobo (Award Bios). I'm using linux .
Maybe any serial device can poweron the PC , when I enable "LPT/COM" under
"wake up events" in the BIOS ?! (=> serial modem ?)
Of course it would be best if One could tell it only to power on the PC
after a certain number of telephone rings or a certain combination.
I just want to turn my PC on from distant places by phone, if you know a
non-modem-device that just controls a power outlet by telephone that would
also do the job ...

ANY ideas suggestions are welcome
Thanks a lot
Alexander

2. Journey to the Planets (Oh, no! Not again!)

3. PCI hardware modem & wake-on-lan/wake-on-ring swap

4. Bug in DBI module for Perl 5.8.0 under Win 2k

5. Need a modem that supports Wake On Ring

6. Tweak UI for WIN98

7. Wake on Ring (Internal Modem) - to Connect to Motherboard

8. good sources for CCITT documents??

9. Do USR v.90 internal modems have wake-on-ring?

10. tp 340 "wake up" from suspend with ring from modem?

11. Wake-up ring on internal modem

12. Wake on Ring PCI Modems anyone?

13. modem wake-up on ring (Lt winmodem)