What does line test really test??

Post by Chad Nesb » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I was curious if anyone knows what line test really tests, a
majority of the time i connect (i'm using a 56k sportster) and it says
"this connection supports x2!" yet i always connect at 26.4K. If it
supports it (i assume that would infer 1 analog link) then why doesn't
if connect at x2? Or is it really just checking signal conditions and
therfore almost meaningless as far as x2 is concerned?? any info would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

Post by Brian Elfe » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>Hi, I was curious if anyone knows what line test really tests, a
>majority of the time i connect (i'm using a 56k sportster) and it says
>"this connection supports x2!" yet i always connect at 26.4K. If it
>supports it (i assume that would infer 1 analog link) then why doesn't
>if connect at x2? Or is it really just checking signal conditions and
>therfore almost meaningless as far as x2 is concerned?? any info would
>be appreciated.

You should get an X2 connect to the test line if your lines supports X2.

I just called with my X2 Courier, and it reported an X2 connect at 33333.
The line test said "Congratulations.  Your line is X2 capable because you
got an X2 connection", or something similiar.

(Due to a problem with the reporting of the USR Total Control rack, you'll
almost always be shown as connected at X2 at 33333, even if you actually
connected at a better rate.  The TC rate shows the correct rate after
about 30 seconds or a minute.)

Brian