Sportster V.34 & Winfax Pro 4.0 - modem will not auto answer

Sportster V.34 & Winfax Pro 4.0 - modem will not auto answer

Post by Dave Cla » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have just installed a new 33.6 sportster internal. It will not
automatically answer fax calls. It will answer when told to manually pick up
but I'm not always available to do so. It sends faxes ok and receives them ok
with manual intervention. Winfax worked properly with previous 14.4
practical peripherals modem but not with new USR. Anyone run into this and
have solution?

Dave Clark

Post by Jon Krahm » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I have just installed a new 33.6 sportster internal. It will not
>automatically answer fax calls. It will answer when told to manually pick up
>but I'm not always available to do so. It sends faxes ok and receives them ok
>with manual intervention. Winfax worked properly with previous 14.4
>practical peripherals modem but not with new USR. Anyone run into this and
>have solution?
>Dave Clark

Sounds like an init-string problem.  Call USR or WinFax and they will
help.  If they do not, go to the www-page listed below and try FaxMail
for Windows 3.xx, 95, NT or FaxMail Network for Windows NT/95/Win32s
for FREE.

If you can print, you can fax.

All the Fax Machines in the world are your printers with FaxMail for
Windows.

You will get free tech-support whether you register or not.

         Kind Regards,
         Jon Krahmer, ElectraSoft

 Get newest version of FaxMail for Windows or FaxMail Network for NT, free:
 www-page: http://www.blkbox.com/~jonk/
 Author member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)

Sportster V.34 & Winfax Pro 4.0 - modem will not auto answer

Post by Tim Uckotte » Mon, 05 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I just installed one too and I'm trying to use it with pcAnywhere32 and
Winfax Pro 7.0, using the "Call Discrimination" feature.  It worked
perfectly with the Practical Peripheral 14.4 internal modems. It most
definitely doesn't work with the Sportster. I have tried the
"init-string" suggestion I've seen posted on Compuserve...doesn't make a
bit of difference. After seeing all the bad news about Sportsters in
this newsgroup, I'm definitely returning mine and temporarily going back
to the PP 14.4.  Cut your losses, get a different modem, and spread the
word about this business practice
by USR.
--

MIS Administrator  =                               /

Post by Jonathan Radclif » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I have just installed a new 33.6 sportster internal. It will not
>automatically answer fax calls. It will answer when told to manually pick up
>but I'm not always available to do so. It sends faxes ok and receives them ok
>with manual intervention. Winfax worked properly with previous 14.4
>practical peripherals modem but not with new USR. Anyone run into this and
>have solution?
>Dave Clark

I'll assume that you have checked the obvious, and that Winfax is set
to automatic recieve (Sorry if this sounds obvious, but in the name of
thoroughness I had to ask)

If Winfax is showing automatic reception to be enabled, then your
problem sounds like a problem with the modem.

To test this, do the following:
1) Close Winfax.
2) Go into Windows terminal. Type AT and press enter. You should get
an OK response. This will show that you are able to communicate with
the modem properly.
3) Get someone to call your modem line. If everything is working
properly with the modem, you should see the word RING or RINGING
appear on the terminal screen as the line rings.  If you don't then
that is the reason that Winfax isn't answering the line.

 Winfax looks for and uses  these RING prompts to know when the line
is ringing. I suspect that the reason for this is that setting the S0
register would result in an external  modem answering even if the
computer is turned off or did not have Winfax running.

You might want to  reset the  modem back to its manufacturer defaults
to see if that resolves the problem.  With most modems this involves
entering  AT&F and then the command that writes the modems current
settings to non volatile configuration memory. The end result of this
process is that the settings that were in effect when the modem
settings were written to the configuration memory  become power on
defaults.

If the problem persists, call USR.

Regards,
Jonathan Radcliffe

All opinions presented in this message are mine and are not
necessarily shared by my employer

1. Q: US Robotics 28.8 V.34 and Winfax Pro 4.0 for win 3.1

Hi,

    I am using winfax pro 4.0 for win 3.1 and I have been told by winfax user
support that there is a problem with my modem.  I hav a US Robotics 28.8 V.34
external.  When I executed "ATI7" I got the following response:

=================================
Configuration Profile...

Product type           US/Canada External
Options                V32bis,V.FC,V.34
Fax Options            Class 1/Class 2.0
Clock Freq             20.16Mhz
Eprom                  256k
Ram                    32k

Supervisor date        11/30/94
DSP date               11/29/94

Supervisor rev         6.0.4
DSP rev                1.0.5

OK
======================================

Winfax user support told me the Supervisor date was too old.  How do I update
the Supervisor date on my modem??

Please respond by e-mail
Thanks!
Bernie.

Bernie Connors - WaterMark Industries Inc.
115 Ascot Drive, Fredericton, NB, E3B 6G1, Canada

2. .txt <-> DOC converters?

3. Courier V.34/Winfax Pro 4.0

4. relay

5. Delrina Winfax Pro 4.0 and Hayes Accura 288 v.34+fax need strin

6. How do I find the active program?

7. Sportster and Winfax Pro not answering correctly

8. techexplorer

9. Request Help: CommWave V.34 Modem Auto-Answering after Installing Office97 & Plus!

10. Delrina WinFAX Pro 4.0 Problems: USR Courier to Sportster

11. WinFax Pro 4.0 & Windows 95

12. && MODEMS, MODEMS, MODEMS HIGH SPEED LOW COST V.34 **&&&

13. USR V.34 / Winfax 4.0 / Chameleon Win