Voice and non-voice modems

Post by clairvoye.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know what the difference is?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Voice and non-voice modems

Post by Hooda Ges » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Does anyone know what the difference is?

Well, Clair... I'd say that one has Voice functions (recording/playing voice
messages) and the other doesn't.

Hooda

Voice and non-voice modems

Post by Kevin Balaa » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>>Does anyone know what the difference is?

>Well, Clair... I'd say that one has Voice functions (recording/playing
voice
>messages) and the other doesn't.

>Hooda

Very brave of you Hooda. Goin' out on a limb by saying that, eh? <g>

Seriously, I would be interested in a technical summation of the
differences.  Is it that a voice modem can operate without a carrier and
treats any "signals" at that time as a sound waveform, thereby bypassing any
processing of that signal and directing it to a sound card? If it is a lack
of carrier, then what about FSK modems? Or does the modem chip process the
sound waveform/

Regards,
Kevin Balaam

ICQ#:24195835

Voice and non-voice modems

Post by Jim Hartman » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Voice modem command extentions (AT#V) for Rockwell based modems are
documented in the "1048" manual (see
http://www.zoomtel.com/techsprt/docs.shtml) for a copy.

> >>Does anyone know what the difference is?

> >Well, Clair... I'd say that one has Voice functions (recording/playing
> voice
> >messages) and the other doesn't.

> >Hooda

> Very brave of you Hooda. Goin' out on a limb by saying that, eh? <g>

> Seriously, I would be interested in a technical summation of the
> differences.  Is it that a voice modem can operate without a carrier and
> treats any "signals" at that time as a sound waveform, thereby bypassing
any
> processing of that signal and directing it to a sound card? If it is a
lack
> of carrier, then what about FSK modems? Or does the modem chip process the
> sound waveform/

> Regards,
> Kevin Balaam

> ICQ#:24195835

1. x2 USR Sportster Voice vs. Non-Voice

There is only a $20 difference between the x2 data/fax and x2
voice/data/fax ($199 vs. $219 at CompUSA). And the voice model comes with a
microphone (worth $3-5?).  Is there any reason,  other that cost, that I
should get the non-voice over the voice.  For $20, I figure that I might as
well get the voice model.

2. Making shortcuts

3. Upgrading non-voice capable modem

4. Building xdbx?

5. May I use a non-voice modem as an answering-machine

6. Sorry: I had to try it!

7. <e>Voice: The First Voice-to-Voice Service

8. ddattext help

9. using non voice modem as answering machine, can I?

10. full-duplex voice streaming of voice modem

11. Voice modem with voice mail ?

12. Voice Interpreter Error with Gateway 2000 Telepath II Voice Modem

13. Full Duplex voice through serial voice modem