zoom 28.8 modems will not auto answer properly

zoom 28.8 modems will not auto answer properly

Post by trial and err » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

i am trying to connect zoom 28.8 modems as my dial in lines. i can connect but
i will not get any response back. any ideas on how to setup modems..

modems are connected to cisco 2511 async lines. also have us robotics modems
they work fine..

zoom 28.8 modems will not auto answer properly

Post by Valt » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>i am trying to connect zoom 28.8 modems as my dial in lines. i can connect but
>i will not get any response back. any ideas on how to setup modems..

AT&F&C1&D2S11=40S95=47

That's what I ran a BBS with using a Zoom 28.8 modem (V.FC piece of junk), for a year
and a half....Worked just fine answering the phone (connecting to other modems is a
WHOLE other matter...) and recieved over 3000 calls before I finally said "Enough!"
and shut it down...If you need auto-answer, add S0=<# of rings> to that string.

If that stuff doesn't work, check the setup of your board software or host mode...

Also, I heard the Zoom V.34 modems were EXTREMELY buggy in early release.  Maybe hit
Zoom's WWW site and leave a tech support request with your current ROM issue on those
modems (ATI3) and your mailing address, and ask 'em if they can send you anything
newer...

WWW.ZOOMTEL.COM is their Web site....

1. New USR 28.8 (33.6) will not auto-answer

: We have two new USR 28.8 externals, neither will auto-answer.
: Dip switches:   1 UP    - Normal DTR
:                 2 UP    - Verbal result codes
:                 3 DOWN  - Display result codes
:                 4 UP    - Echo kybd
:                 5 UP    - Auto answer on 1st ring or higher if
:                           specified in NVRAM
:                 6 UP    - Normal CD
:                 7 UP    - Load NVRAM defaults
:                 8 DOWN  - Smart mode
:
: Using Procomm Plus for DOS at 9600 N81:
:     &B1 &C1 &D2 &M4 Q0 V1 X4 Y0  S0=1  are displayed on ATI4 screen.
: Typing AT gives OK.  Should now be in auto-answer.  AA is lit.
: Other modem calls in.  Modem will not auto answer.  It WILL answer
: if I type ATA.  Then everythings fine.  Can type text both ways.
: Whats the secret to get these to auto-answer?
: I've read the USR Technical Reference Guide with no clues.
: Thanks for any comments!

You're gonna love this! Here's what you need to do:

Set the NVRAM to what you wish and, at the port speed desired, WRITE it.
That is, make sure the settings are correct then check the port speed
current in the term program and, if it is the speed you normally operate
it when you want the auto-answer to work, write that to NVRAM.

In short, the modem's settings must be saved at the port speed you will be
using. Check this with the ati5 command, it will show the default port speed.
This is absolutely necessary if the modem is reset between calls with ATZ
or by power cycle.

If the modem is simply given an initialization string other than ATZ then
it *should* answer a ring at the speed that the initialization string was
given.

Now, could I ask why you are using a 33600 bps capable modem at 9600???

2. Unable to open db connection

3. HELP: Old Zoom modem not working properly!!!

4. Critique of new Logitech mouse drivers

5. Zoom 2400 s/rfax wont auto answer modem mode

6. SQA and ISO 9000

7. ZOOM 28.8 info -- ZOOM 28.8 owner , Read this

8. What are these?

9. modemsurfr 28.8 doesnot auto answer

10. USR 28.8 Auto Answer

11. USR Sportster 28.8 Auto answer default (S00=01) HELP!

12. Microcom DeskPorte FAST ES 28.8 serial port & auto-answer

13. Sportster 28.8 Vi won't auto-answer