Problems maintaining connections, please help

Problems maintaining connections, please help

Post by John Nava » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

Your connection was actually at 31200.  What's killing you is that your
modem is trying to retrain excessively, 8 times in only 8 minutes.  It
looks like the quality of your phone line has gone to hell.  Try the
3Com/USR Line Test to see if that works any better.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

1. Help. Modem maintains connection but no activity?

I've got a USR External 56K Voice Fax Modem Pro. It's connected to my Server. I'm using Win Proxy on the server. All settings are correct.  I connect from my workstation and everything is fine. Then after times ranging from 5 minutes to 2 hours. All of a sudden all I get are 404 timeouts, mail connection errors etc. It's as if I'm no longer connected to the internet. Yet the modem is still connected and on line. The only way to fix it is to hang up and redial. Then everything is fine again until it happens again. It happens to my daughters machine on the network too at the same time mine stops, so I know it's something with the server/modem.

What I've done to fix it. Uncheck use FIFO, clear all cache on both server and workstation. Uncheck Hardware flow control and then recheck when I discovered it didn't work. Did the same with error correction. Changed the Port speeds. Put AT&F in "extra settings", then changed everything back, all to no avail. I do have a 50 foot RJ11. I thought this could be the problem, but why aren't I just disconnecting.

2. TechEd 1997 NetShow feeds

3. Help w/5200 to call and maintain connection to 776

4. Why am I still getting SPAM?

5. Help. Modem maintains connection but no activity?

6. What's with the unintelligent postings?

7. Problem maintaining ADSL connection

8. Lan clients lose connection with 4.11 server; but maintain ms lan connection...

9. Cisco 2610 back to back serial connection problem - please help

10. Help please! Serious connection problems

11. Modem Connection Problems: PLEASE HELP!

12. Connection problem - please help!