Please recommend a good modem

Post by George Ea » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I subscribed to this group to try to find consensus on a handful of
good modems I can upgrade to from my Telepath 14.4k. Now I am more
confused than ever. If I go by users on this list, I hear to stay away
from USR and I read good things about Supra. Then I read a post from
an ISP who says USR are most reliable and Supra's need a clean line to
be good. All I want is a clean upgrade to 28.8, reliable connects, as
few disconnects as possible. I'm not hung up on 33.6.  What do I do?

Please recommend a good modem

Post by c.. » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

If you are concerned with the USR's , try a Motorola Surfer. Motrolora
has a good reputation for reliability although they may not be the
fastest. The Surfers have recently dropped in price and also have a
$20 rebate.

Post by cr.. » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I subscribed to this group to try to find consensus on a handful of
>good modems I can upgrade to from my Telepath 14.4k. Now I am more
>confused than ever. If I go by users on this list, I hear to stay away
>from USR and I read good things about Supra. Then I read a post from
>an ISP who says USR are most reliable and Supra's need a clean line to
>be good. All I want is a clean upgrade to 28.8, reliable connects, as
>few disconnects as possible. I'm not hung up on 33.6.  What do I do?

You could consider MultiTech.  Their price is not that much more than
those "other" modems,  and if you need tech support, you can get it on
the internet, BBS, or 800 voice.

My recently purchased MultiTech has had no problems making 28.8
connections under dos or win 3.1.  I would guess these modems will
work just as well under win95.

If you want to check out some of their products, you can find them at
www.multitech.com.  You should be able to find street prices of 20 to
25% off MultiTechs list prices.

Please recommend a good modem

Isn't the "MultiTech" actually and IBM product?

--

Karen M. Vilt                                                  http://www.maestra.com/index.htm

Post by Carl Baew » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I subscribed to this group to try to find consensus on a handful of
>good modems I can upgrade to from my Telepath 14.4k. Now I am more
>confused than ever. If I go by users on this list, I hear to stay away
>from USR and I read good things about Supra. Then I read a post from
>an ISP who says USR are most reliable and Supra's need a clean line to
>be good. All I want is a clean upgrade to 28.8, reliable connects, as
>few disconnects as possible. I'm not hung up on 33.6.  What do I do?

  Yep! I agree, go with a Motorola, although I think the Power and Premier are
   some of the fastest modems out their, my Premier 33.6 gets a fantastic 3050
   CPS download rate. ( not an error to be found :) And the support is Great as
   well.

Post by Mike Berg » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>   Yep! I agree, go with a Motorola, although I think the Power and Premier are
>    some of the fastest modems out their, my Premier 33.6 gets a fantastic 3050
>    CPS download rate. ( not an error to be found :) And the support is
Great as
>    well.

We also recommend Motorola -- the cheap ModemSurfer, etc. are great for
most normal consumer applications.  If you have special problems, chances
are the pricy but outstanding Motorola UDS V.3400 will solve them.