Can you use one phone line for www and telephone at same time?****

Post by A. Valen » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I've heard you can use one phone line to answer the phone while you are
using the same phone line to surf the www.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Is
this true?

Post by VtB » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

> >I've heard you can use one phone line to answer the phone while you are
> >using the same phone line to surf the www.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Is
> >this true?

> No.

> --
> Best regards,

>       28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

  Would ISDN line do that ?

Post by Vern Burk » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I've heard you can use one phone line to answer the phone while you are
>using the same phone line to surf the www.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Is
>this true?

no

Can you use one phone line for www and telephone at same time?****

Post by John Nav » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>I've heard you can use one phone line to answer the phone while you are
>using the same phone line to surf the www.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Is
>this true?

No.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Can you use one phone line for www and telephone at same time?****

Post by Craig Siebel » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Yes, try again John. Point your browser to this:

http://www.iglobal.net/phonedoubler/

Of course, it helps if you're in a first world country like Texas:-) And
here is an article about it from a third party:

_Place and Receive Phone Calls While Surfing the Internet Without a_
                      _Second Phone Line_
http://technology.321media.com/321/articles/read_it?story1=TexasTechn...

Post by Picket » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

> >I've heard you can use one phone line to answer the phone while you are
> >using the same phone line to surf the www.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Is
> >this true?

> No.

> --
> Best regards,

>       28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

This is possible with ADSL service which is available from Bell in the
Ottawa area where you seem to be located.

        see http://www1.sympatico.ca/help/FAQ/adsl.html

Bill

Post by Ben » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> >I've heard you can use one phone line to answer the phone while you are
> >using the same phone line to surf the www.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Is
> >this true?

> no

NOT TRUE....expensive, but not true.

With the xDSL products you can surf the 'Net while you talk on the
phone.  I have ADSL at my desktop.  It's essentially a T-1 downstream
and 768K upstream...with a jack for a phone.  Both connections can run
simultaneously on the same twisted pair.

Thing is...ADSL will run a pretty penny for the equipment alone.  Plus
internet access...$300+ per month is not expensive.

Ben Gumz

Post by M » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> >I've heard you can use one phone line to answer the phone while you are
>> >using the same phone line to surf the www.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Is
>> >this true?

>> no
>NOT TRUE....expensive, but not true.

 Not so fast. Read the question first!

 You can connect to your ISP and surf the net and
 if somebody calls you may set yourself up to
 disconnect from ISP and answer the phone.
 But you need two things: call waiting service,
 AND program the modem to disconnect
 in such cases because usually they are programmed
 to ignore call waiting beeps.

 In general it is possible to have an ISP provide switched
 telephone service and Internet service on the
 same line but it has to be provided by your ISP.
 But this kind of service is called "sucker service"
 and not worth anything to anybody with 3-digit IQ.

 All the above assuming regular analog phone lines.

Can you use one phone line for www and telephone at same time?****

Post by c.. » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Thing is...ADSL will run a pretty penny for the equipment alone.  Plus
> internet access...$300+ per month is not expensive.

ADSL (384K) is running $85/month fro PacBell in the Silicon Valley,
with ISP accounts running ~$80.  See www.pacbell.com,
www.concentric.com, and www.dnai.com.

Can you use one phone line for www and telephone at same time?****

Post by beic » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I beg to differ in one important sense!  Namely that a person( I CAN right now!
) might well wish to let an occasional incoming call interrupt the modem
connection at the minor cost in time of having to mouse press the RESUME button
of their dialer when the call is over and they wish to resume the www access
from where they were without fuss.

The only requisite for me here in San Diego was that I acquired an older
technology 14k CirusLogic or USR Sportster( although some USR 14k modems with
other chips don't allow the S10=1 trick), or 14k Rockwell chip based modem!
Try setting the initialization string to 'S10=1' as I have right now... it
work's great on my line, even though everyone in the computer stores I asked
said it can't/couldn't be done!  Try it and report back.  But do use an older

and very few don't work with S10=1, save for some USRs.  And I have set up two
dialup profiles successfully to allow for two modems being installed on the
motherboard.  It's cute because you can have two windows, one for each modem,
talking separately to others, or each other if your in some silly experimental
mood... ;)

Enjoy and report back after testing done with a friend calling you while your
online to verify accessibility,  provided you of course have 'Call waiting'
enabled and get rid of any '*70' in the dialing stuff.  You can do a
'ATDT########' based manual test in hyper-terminal by calling another modem/bbs
if need be, to insure that no *70 is sent.

Enjoy, and PLEASE report back... ( older 14k modems only?  Or better yet, if you
find a 33.6k or 56k modem chip set that REALLY works this way like the 14k
ones,  PLEASE let us all know... I want ~200+ of them maybe...! )

Ben

Post by tapio san » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

> >I've heard you can use one phone line to answer the phone while you are
> >using the same phone line to surf the www.  Doesn't make sense to me.
Is
> >this true?

> No.

You heard someone talking about ISDN, with 64k for data and the other 64k
for voice.

1. Using 2 line phone jack with modem intended for one line

I have a friend that has a modem and whenever they try to dial out they get
a NO DIALTONE error message. I brought his modem to my house and installed
and tested it. It dialed and connected fine.
My friend explained that they had tried both phone jacks on the back of the
computer.  He explained that they are set up on a 2 line phone system and in
order for there phones to pick up they have to select a line.

Can a regular analog 56K modem be used on a phone line like this?

2. Mouse driver for Emacs?

3. Using more than one Analogue lines as one line

4. I'm looking for hobbyist VAX stuff Near BELGIUM!

5. How to connect three computers on the Internet by using one phone line

6. VAX C, Flex, Bison, and two CRs

7. Two phone lines, one works one doesn't

8. FS: Amiga 500's

9. STROWGER - Telephone Exchange WWW Page http://www.seg.co.uk/telecomm

10. Need to Convert One Line Phone to Two Line

11. Two-Line Adaptor Wanted For One-Line Phone

12. analog line + digital (ISDN) line = one phone

13. Using One ISDN Line As A Leased Line