Need Info on Old Modems

Post by Alan, VE3N » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

 I picked up a couple of old modems at a recent Ham Radio fleamarket. There
are a couple of things about them that I found curious, and would like to
read some opinions on the subject.

 Modem #1 is an internal 14.4 FAX/data modem for an 8-bit slot. I've ran it
through some tests, and it works great. The component side of the board has
ZEON 2 94V-0 marked on it, and also 80-2008200 REV.4. The copper clad side
has two stickers on it, one says V1414VH-L, and the other gives the FCC
info: FCC ID H8NV1414VH, and FCC Registration No. H8NTAI-21119-MM-E.
The modem uses the Cirrus Logic chipset, and there's a 28 pin IC on a
socket labeled HYUNDAI HY62256ALP-10.

 The modem came with the origional documentation, although it makes no
mention of the product name whatsoever. It uses such generic phrases as
"Congratulations on your purchase of this outstanding Fax/Data modem". So
I suspect that it's been printed for a wide range of models. What has me
curious is that the modem has two mono audio jacks, one labeled SPK. and
the other MIC. The user's manual makes no mention of these connections at
all, and the "installation guide" (a two-leaf folder) simply shows a
pict*diagram with a microphone to the MIC jack, and a speaker on the
SPK jack. Typical product info - point out the obvious, and ignore the
rest!

 Nowhere in either of the docs does it mention being a VOICE/Fax/Data
modem, and I've never associated a 14.4 with voice capabilities before.
Is this thing REALLY capable of voice mode??? The modem came with
complimentary software, SuperVoice 2.0 from Pacific Image Communications.
SV v2.0 is a terminal program that supports voice mail, has a mini PBX
feature, and comes with pre-recorded .VOX files for answering the phone
and so forth. I haven't installed its multi-megabyte package yet, and was
wondering if someone could let me know where I stand with the modem first.
BTW, I paid 10 bucks.

 The second modem is marked ZX9624S2 REV 1.01, and ZMD-67238-111 on the
component side, and nothing on the copper side. It's an internal for an
8-bit slot. FCC ID:H4TZ1896S, and FCC registration:IB9HKG-18754-FA-E.
The guy told me it was a 9600bps modem, but I know him to be a real weasel
so I can't bet on it. For 3 bucks, I took a chance. When dialing in, the
modem ignores the faster-speed pilot tones, and does its handshake and
connect at 2400bps. I haven't tried it on FAX, yet. I suspect that it is
probably a 2400bps data/9600bps FAX unit, but with no docs, I can't be
sure. I initialize the thing with an ATZ, and I haven't tried hurling
AT commands at it yet to see if someone simply programmed it wrong. Anyone
know for sure what this thing can do?

I suspect that there's a website someplace where you can get a modem's
specs simply by typing in the FCC info. Anyone know of such a place?

I do not have e-mail. I use the account from work to dial into the 'Net
during the off-hours, and cannot release the address for personal use.
So please make your replies here. I always found the requests for
personal replies *only* to be annoying anyway.

                            Thanks! - Alan, VE3NNM

Need Info on Old Modems

Post by Franc Zabk » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 05:12:33 GMT, Alan, VE3NNM put finger to keyboard
and composed:

Quote:> I picked up a couple of old modems at a recent Ham Radio fleamarket.
>I suspect that there's a website someplace where you can get a modem's
>specs simply by typing in the FCC info. Anyone know of such a place?

http://www.sbsdirect.com/fccenter.html

- Franc Zabkar

Need Info on Old Modems

Post by Jan-Kee » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

check this out: http://www.veryComputer.com/
Real neat FCC-search engine!!

> [...]

> so I can't bet on it. For 3 bucks, I took a chance. When dialing in, the
> modem ignores the faster-speed pilot tones, and does its handshake and
> connect at 2400bps. I haven't tried it on FAX, yet. I suspect that it is
> probably a 2400bps data/9600bps FAX unit, but with no docs, I can't be
> sure. I initialize the thing with an ATZ, and I haven't tried hurling
> AT commands at it yet to see if someone simply programmed it wrong. Anyone
> know for sure what this thing can do?

> I suspect that there's a website someplace where you can get a modem's
> specs simply by typing in the FCC info. Anyone know of such a place?

> I do not have e-mail. I use the account from work to dial into the 'Net
> during the off-hours, and cannot release the address for personal use.
> So please make your replies here. I always found the requests for
> personal replies *only* to be annoying anyway.

Need Info on Old Modems

Post by Tony Hurs » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

> check this out: http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Real neat FCC-search engine!!

> > The modem uses the Cirrus Logic chipset, and there's a 28 pin IC on a
> > socket labeled HYUNDAI HY62256ALP-10.
> > I suspect that it's been printed for a wide range of models. What has me
> > curious is that the modem has two mono audio jacks, one labeled SPK. and
> > the other MIC.

> >  Nowhere in either of the docs does it mention being a VOICE/Fax/Data
> > modem, and I've never associated a 14.4 with voice capabilities before.

Cirrus did make a 14.4 modem chipset with voice capabilities. I have an
old one* around here too.

The trouble was that the Cirrus used AT commmands for the voice
functions that  were similar to, but not compatible with, the ones
used by the more common Rockwell voice modems, and most people
(including me) thought that the sound quality was considerably worse
as well. I can't compare it to the USR voice modems since I don't
have one of those. Also, I seem to recall that Cirrus was stingy
with programming information for a long time.

Besides the lower sound quality mine seemed to have an
unfortunate tendency to hard-lock my machine when in
voice mode. I don't know if this was a problem with the
modem itself or the software.

If you're interested in looking for the voice AT commands
you should be able to find 'em at:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Need Info on Old Modems

Post by Denny Salati » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

>check this out: http://www.sbsdirect.com/fccenter.html
>Real neat FCC-search engine!!

>>  I picked up a couple of old modems at a recent Ham Radio fleamarket. There
>> are a couple of things about them that I found curious, and would like to
>> read some opinions on the subject.

>>  Modem #1 is an internal 14.4 FAX/data modem for an 8-bit slot. I've ran it
>> through some tests, and it works great. The component side of the board has
>> ZEON 2 94V-0 marked on it, and also 80-2008200 REV.4. The copper clad side
>> has two stickers on it, one says V1414VH-L, and the other gives the FCC

                             Thanks! - Alan, VE3NNM
**********
The V1414VH is a Quicktel/ Logicode technology inc. modem
I don't know about the other one. Logicode went out of business not
too long ago.
Denny.

Need Info on Old Modems

Post by haptic » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

was marginal at less than 8 bits

second one:  i tried to look up through the fcc registration database also
with NO luck. as with the other devices i have searched in the FCC database.
i have multitudes of miscellaneous modems from local industry trashbins.
they work, but are just too slow for the technogeeks that work there, so
they heave them out at ridiculous waste! . mostly isa, 9600 and 14.4.

yer best bet is to save them squandered pennies and sink it into a current
modem.  i like to be frugal too, but have found most of the stuf ends up
right back where it came from.