Slow setup and Dialing

Post by Ron Mor » Mon, 08 Aug 1994 05:17:59

I am trying to resurrect an old XT
compatible for telecom work and am trying to use a US Robotics Sportster
2400/PC MNP
Baud modem and CROSSTALK V.1. Everything works but it takes 2 to 3 MINUTES
for the modem to setup and dial. What is the problem?
Is it the XT? The Factory setting set up Iuse is:
AT&F&B6X4&D2&C1&H1&R2&WE0V1
Can anyone help?
* Ron Morin        Nepean, Ontario, Canada    *

1. Setup a modem on Sun 4/280S for both dial-in and dial-out

Hi,

In my SunOS "System & Network Administration" dated Nov 1988,
Ch. 15 - Electronic Mail Communication, there is this mention:

        To set up your modem for both dial-in and dial-out
        on the same serial port, the flags bit corresponding to the
        serial bit corresponding to the serial port has to be set to
        zero in the kernel.

Now, I check with SunOS's answerbook, and I see no mention of such.

My machine is a Sun 4/280S, uname -a gives this:

        SunOS hto-e.usc 4.1.3-PL 8 sun4

my eeprom is this:

hwupdate=Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
memsize=56
memtest=56
scrsize=1600x1280
watchdog_reboot=true
default_boot=true
bootdev=xy(0,0,0)
kbdtype=0
keyclick=false
console=b&w
custom_logo=false
banner=
diagdev=(0,0,0)
diagpath=
ttya_no_rtsdtr=false
ttyb_no_rtsdtr=false
ttya_use_baud=true
ttyb_use_baud=true
ttya_baud=38400
ttyb_baud=38400
columns=80
rows=34
secure=none
PROM bad_login=15

I am hell confused. If someone has successfully setup a modem
for both dial-in and dial-out on the same serial port, please
help me! The manual says one thing, and the answerbook says
another, and my common sense says another.

Tip gives "all ports busy", "can't sync with hayes" message at
all times(even right after reboot)

I can dial-in, but can't dial-out. If I "off"/disable ttya, then I can
dialout.

Also the manual mention that I should mv ttya to ttyd0 and so on,
then ln cua0 cua1, why?

Again, thanks for any help!

sincerely,

-RK

2. Can't log in to Hotmail

3. slow network : wrong setup hubs and servers ?

4. web cam problem

5. Is my setup slowing things down?

6. PCI-X nontransparent bridges

7. BA Account Setup, Slow!!!!!!!

8. Blanking CGfx screen...

9. Slow throughput on dial-out

10. PPP (dial-up) connection suddenly slowed down

11. 5224 dial up is slow

12. DNS fails due to slow ISDN dial

13. Dial-Up Networking 1.2 does NOT fix the slow speed problem!