X2: My local POP connects 28.8; in-state long distance POPs all 48.3!!

X2: My local POP connects 28.8; in-state long distance POPs all 48.3!!

Post by Richard Shelto » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

My local ISP (North American Internet / www.nai.net ) recently upgraded to
X2 at all of their Connecticut POPs.  They're using a SNET Frame Relay
setup and USR's "total control rack".  They have 15 POPs in CT and one
local POP on a neighboring exchange (less than 3 miles away).

All in-state long distance POPs connect between 43-48K;  my local POP only
syncs at 28.8-31.2!!  They all use the same equipment on the same network.

I'm guessing there is a difference in the way local and in-state long
distance (1-203-...) calls are routed.  All out of state POPs connect at
high rates every time.

Any ideas or suggestions out there???  Where do I start with the phone
people?  Any way to reroute local calls through the other path?

Rich Shelton
Westport, CT

X2: My local POP connects 28.8; in-state long distance POPs all 48.3!!

Post by NORGEF » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Well, your local POP may only have one 56kbps phone, and the other
in-bound lines are answered by older 33.3 kbps modems.   Or the local POP
may have no 56kbps modems up and running.  Your test of out of state POPs
at 56kbps proves the local loop from your site to your central office is
of good enough quality that you can connect, but there's always a chance
that the local loop from the vendor's modem bank to the central office may
not be of sufficient quality to support 56 kbps traffic.

X2: My local POP connects 28.8; in-state long distance POPs all 48.3!!

Post by John Nav » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>Well, your local POP may only have one 56kbps phone, and the other
>in-bound lines are answered by older 33.3 kbps modems.   Or the local POP
>may have no 56kbps modems up and running.  Your test of out of state POPs
>at 56kbps proves the local loop from your site to your central office is
>of good enough quality that you can connect, but there's always a chance
>that the local loop from the vendor's modem bank to the central office may
>not be of sufficient quality to support 56 kbps traffic.

If the "vendor's" connection to the central office is digital, then it
will be capable of x2 connctions.

--
Best regards,

      28800 Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

1. Help: X2 on long-distance/No X2 on local calls.

I have recently upgraded my USR Winmodem to 56k after checking USR's 1-888 bbs
and they said my line was good.

Connecting to two different local ISP's gets me a 31,200 connect *every* time.
 I connected to USR's long-distance BBS (the one with X2 modems) and got a 52k
and a 50k connect.

Before the X2 upgrade I *always* got a 28.8 connect going into a digital
switch.  This is the same number the ISP is using for the X2 now.

I called Bell-Atlantic and predictably they claim that they can do nothing.  I
think that if I can actually call them with possible solutions I may have more
luck getting things changed.  I have read all about SLC-96's and digital pads
in the newsgroup but could someone summarize the possible solutions the phone
company may have please?

Thanks,

Jeff Stevenson

2. Unable to install Help files with SQL Server7

3. Is inter-state US long distance, distance sensitive for monthly invoices?

4. Help me find a workable emulator

5. find distance from CO to ISPs POP

6. histgram of two data with unequal size

7. POP Distance

8. Cabletron - Spectrum Network Management

9. KFlex at 44000 to X2 Pop

10. HELP! Long Delay reaching USWest.net POP server

11. X2 Line Test reports X2 capable but can't connect to ISP above 28.8

12. Connecting POPs on Frame-Relay