USR x2 Phone Line Test Question

Post by jkel.. » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Before purchasing a 56.6 modem I decided to try the x2 phone line test

offered at the USRobotics Web site. I have 2 different computers
connected to the same phone line at separate jacks. The first computer
has a 33.6 Boca internal modem. It flat out failed ("x2 is not
currently possible on this connection, or is likely to be highly
impaired") the line test every time I ran it. The second computer has
a 28.8 USRobotics internal modem. Every time I tested it I got a
qualified ("x2 is possible on this connection, but you are likely to
experience reduced performance") pass. My question is: which
result do I trust? Can the modem used during the test affect the
result of the line test itself? Can different jacks addressing the
same phone line affect the outcome of the test? With the results I got
will investing in a 56.6 modem be a waste of money?

TIA, Jack Keller

USR x2 Phone Line Test Question

Post by John Nav » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>Before purchasing a 56.6 modem I decided to try the x2 phone line test
>offered at the USRobotics Web site. I have 2 different computers
>connected to the same phone line at separate jacks. The first computer
>has a 33.6 Boca internal modem. It flat out failed ("x2 is not
>currently possible on this connection, or is likely to be highly
>impaired") the line test every time I ran it. The second computer has
>a 28.8 USRobotics internal modem. Every time I tested it I got a
>qualified ("x2 is possible on this connection, but you are likely to
>experience reduced performance") pass. My question is: which
>result do I trust?

Both are negative.

Quote:>Can the modem used during the test affect the
>result of the line test itself?

Of course.

Quote:>Can different jacks addressing the
>same phone line affect the outcome of the test?

You bet!

Quote:>With the results I got
>will investing in a 56.6 modem be a waste of money?

Probably, unless you do something to correct the problem.  See my FAQ.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html