DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Booj » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:14:44



Since establishing DSL service (with SBC/SNET), my dial up connections
have gone from always getting v90 at 49333 or 52000 to always getting
v34 connections at 28800 or 31200.  (Actually, the change occurred
about a week before the official turn on date.)

Is this normal?  Though I use dial up far less frequently now, I still
wonder if there is any way of getting v90 back?

B.

 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Todd Copelan » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 00:36:00


Modem connection speeds at anything higher then 28.8 should never be
used as a measure of a "good" connection. It's the transfer speed that
matters (as long as a V.90 connection is being established).

> Since establishing DSL service (with SBC/SNET), my dial up connections
> have gone from always getting v90 at 49333 or 52000 to always getting
> v34 connections at 28800 or 31200.  (Actually, the change occurred
> about a week before the official turn on date.)

> Is this normal?  Though I use dial up far less frequently now, I still
> wonder if there is any way of getting v90 back?


 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Alex Voyto » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:20:45


not normal.
Check your filters

Alex

Quote:> Since establishing DSL service (with SBC/SNET), my dial up connections
> have gone from always getting v90 at 49333 or 52000 to always getting
> v34 connections at 28800 or 31200.  (Actually, the change occurred
> about a week before the official turn on date.)

> Is this normal?  Though I use dial up far less frequently now, I still
> wonder if there is any way of getting v90 back?

> B.

 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Dr Arm » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:49:33



> Since establishing DSL service (with SBC/SNET), my dial up connections
> have gone from always getting v90 at 49333 or 52000 to always getting
> v34 connections at 28800 or 31200.  (Actually, the change occurred
> about a week before the official turn on date.)

> Is this normal?  Though I use dial up far less frequently now, I still
> wonder if there is any way of getting v90 back?

> B.

Same thing happened to me. I used to get 51,666 connections until just
prior to the DSL actiive. Now I see to get 28k at best. Data transfer
dropped accordingly.

da

 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Manue » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 20:01:08


I had the same problem and I finally found out that I had inopportunely
connected my modem after the DSL micro-filter which seriously degrades the
performance of classic V90 dial-up connnections.

The problem was solved once I moved my dial-up modem connection before the
DSL micro-filter.

Hope it helps

Manuel

 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Charles » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:46:56


When you go through the filter, you will be degrading the signal and
lowering your speed.
If you bypass the filter you will have the interference from the DSL signal
possibly messing up your modem speed.
Catch 22.
Some filters may be better than others, I found that X-wire filters do a
better job of filtering out the dsl audio noise on the phone line than the
Excelsior units. - don't know if that would make a difference with the modem
signal.

Best choice is to use a different phone line for the modem.

Charles


Quote:> Since establishing DSL service (with SBC/SNET), my dial up connections
> have gone from always getting v90 at 49333 or 52000 to always getting
> v34 connections at 28800 or 31200.  (Actually, the change occurred
> about a week before the official turn on date.)

> Is this normal?  Though I use dial up far less frequently now, I still
> wonder if there is any way of getting v90 back?

> B.

 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Jack A » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 02:47:40


I use an internal USR Winmodem and get consistent 49333 bps connections
using a DSL filter on the line.   The connect speed remains the same throughout
the session.  V.90 modems create tones below the cutoff frequency of a DSL filter.
My filters have the word SIECOR on the bottom.

j. ak


> I had the same problem and I finally found out that I had inopportunely
> connected my modem after the DSL micro-filter which seriously degrades the
> performance of classic V90 dial-up connnections.

> The problem was solved once I moved my dial-up modem connection before the
> DSL micro-filter.

> Hope it helps

> Manuel

 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Macy Hallo » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 08:14:05



Quote:> My filters have the word SIECOR on the bottom.

This is one of the best designed microfilters on the market.
Many are not nearly as good, but work fine for typical applications.

--

  APK Net, Inc. 1621 Euclid Ave. Suite 1230 Cleveland, OH 44115 USA

 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Booj » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:54:13



>not normal.
>Check your filters

The drop off occured before any filters were installed on premise.

>Alex


>> Since establishing DSL service (with SBC/SNET), my dial up connections
>> have gone from always getting v90 at 49333 or 52000 to always getting
>> v34 connections at 28800 or 31200.  (Actually, the change occurred
>> about a week before the official turn on date.)

>> Is this normal?  Though I use dial up far less frequently now, I still
>> wonder if there is any way of getting v90 back?

>> B.

--
 
 
 

DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Post by Booj » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:57:59



>Modem connection speeds at anything higher then 28.8 should never be
>used as a measure of a "good" connection. It's the transfer speed that
>matters (as long as a V.90 connection is being established).

Well, as noted, no v90 connection is established.


>> Since establishing DSL service (with SBC/SNET), my dial up connections
>> have gone from always getting v90 at 49333 or 52000 to always getting
>> v34 connections at 28800 or 31200.  (Actually, the change occurred
>> about a week before the official turn on date.)

>> Is this normal?  Though I use dial up far less frequently now, I still
>> wonder if there is any way of getting v90 back?

--
 
 
 

1. DSL and v90 (SBC/SNET)

Since establishing DSL service (with SBC/SNET), my dial up connections
have gone from always getting v90 at 49333 or 52000 to always getting
v34 connections at 28800 or 31200.  (Actually, the change occurred
about a week before the official turn on date.)

Is this normal?  Though I use dial up far less frequently now, I still
wonder if there is any way of getting v90 back?

B.

2. Keeping FS98 Settings

3. 250-300KB downloads on a 1.5Mb SNET/SBC DSL link??

4. Sun SunPC 486 Sbus Card WANTED

5. snet/sbc dsl in ct is I any good

6. SuperDOS

7. SNET/SBC DSL

8. SNET DSL(division of SBC)

9. 675 with SBC / SNET

10. ADSL vs ISDN ILEC (SNET/SBC) vs Covad/Concentric... etc

11. pppoe and win 2000 on snet/sbc

12. Why did SBC/SNET lower their distance limit to 12,000 feet?