USR Winmodem 5683 vs. Data/Fax 5687

Post by Phil R Lawrenc » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two modems?  They seem to offer
the same capabilities.  I am especially concerned about the Winmodem... will I
be able to use it with Linux as well as Windows 9x?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phil R Lawrence               phone: 610-758-3051

194 Lehigh University Computing Center
E.W. Fairchild - Martindale, Bldg. 8B
Bethlehem, PA  18018
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Hooda Ges » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hello,

>Can anyone tell me the difference between these two modems?  They seem
to offer
>the same capabilities.  I am especially concerned about the Winmodem...
will I
>be able to use it with Linux as well as Windows 9x?

The Winmodem, as its name implies, works within the Windows environment
only. There are some exceptions based upon 3rd party drivers written for
DOS. I don't know of any for Linux. If you intend to use the modem
outside of Windows, or with non-Windows comm/terminal programs, I would
strongly suggest you get a regular modem, either external or internal,
rather than a Winmodem.

USR Winmodem 5683 vs. Data/Fax 5687

Post by Rick Colli » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:50:17 -0400, "Phil R Lawrence"

>Hello,

>Can anyone tell me the difference between these two modems?  They seem to offer
>the same capabilities.  I am especially concerned about the Winmodem... will I
>be able to use it with Linux as well as Windows 9x?

If I answer your last question I can probablt ignore the rest:  the
Winmodem works _only_ in Windows.

Rick (remove X from e-mail address)