USR 56K Winmodem in another computer doesn't connect at 56K

USR 56K Winmodem in another computer doesn't connect at 56K

Post by SimMik » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I got this WinModem when it was still 28.8.  I upgraded to X2 for over $50,
not sure exactly how much. When V.90 came along, I upgraded to this for
free. This modem always connected at 48K+  on my computer. Now I put it in
another computer and use the V.90 drivers and the modem will not connect at
anything above about 31K. This is on the same exact phone line that got 48+
in my apartment, so I know it isn't the phone line. Both computers are
comparable and working fine.  I even re-installed some old X2 drivers and
used the Modem Update wizard to find better drivers. USR said the modem
already had the highest upgrade.

So what am I doing wrong? I want to sell this modem to my sister but she
doesn't want to buy a 33.6 modem! I paid damn good money to upgrade this to
56K. Why is USR continuing to be so hide and seek with driver upgrades? They
won't let me download the V.90 drivers, I have to use the stupid modem
update wizard.

Mike

USR 56K Winmodem in another computer doesn't connect at 56K

Post by R Collin » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I got this WinModem when it was still 28.8.  I upgraded to X2 for
over $50,
> not sure exactly how much. When V.90 came along, I upgraded to this
for
> free. This modem always connected at 48K+  on my computer. Now I put
it in
> another computer and use the V.90 drivers and the modem will not
connect at
> anything above about 31K. This is on the same exact phone line that
got 48+
> in my apartment, so I know it isn't the phone line. Both computers
are
> comparable and working fine.  I even re-installed some old X2
drivers and
> used the Modem Update wizard to find better drivers. USR said the
modem
> already had the highest upgrade.

> So what am I doing wrong? I want to sell this modem to my sister but
she
> doesn't want to buy a 33.6 modem! I paid damn good money to upgrade
this to
> 56K. Why is USR continuing to be so hide and seek with driver
upgrades? They
> won't let me download the V.90 drivers, I have to use the stupid
modem
> update wizard.

Your message is confusing.  You say "the problem isn't the phone
lines" because you're using "the same exact phone line that got 48+ in
my apartment".

Simple question: is the second computer "in your apartment" connected
to the same wall jack as your previous computer?

1. USR 56k winmodem cant connect at 56k - ive read the posts

I just bought a USR 56k winmodem. I installed it correctly, unplugged
all the jacks in the apartment. I even downloaded teh USR line test
utility and IT PASSED - and said I was able to connect to the USR
computer at 56k but for some reason,I cannot connect Flashnet, my
provider who is 56k (I know people connecting to it at 56k). The highest
ive been able to connect is 36k (usually only 31.2). I tried the upgrade
wizard from USR but there isnt one for my modem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ryan

2. Help: Connecting a joystick to an SGI

3. 33.6 or 56k My ISP DOESN'T support 56K

4. Where is orbeline?

5. New 56k modem wont' connect at 56k.

6. Windows Update Down Again?

7. USR 56K connects 56K to some but not others..

8. Vuescan problems

9. ZOOM 2925 56K-PCI doesn't connect > 26.5K

10. USR Winmodem 56K connects at 33. in win2k

11. USR 56K ISA Modem doesn't work in Win2000

12. usr 56K winmodem connects slow in win98se

13. Lucent v.90 winmodem or USR 56k winmodem?