>>CABLE MODEMS & FREE BASIC CABLE --- FACT OR FICTION?<<

>>CABLE MODEMS & FREE BASIC CABLE --- FACT OR FICTION?<<

Post by Patrick O' Sha » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,

        I've heard through the grapevine that if you do not subscribe
to cable TV, but do have a cable modem, you can put a splitter on and
get basic cable service for free. Is this true?

Shane

Post by Marc Fulle » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Greetings,

>         I've heard through the grapevine that if you do not subscribe
> to cable TV, but do have a cable modem, you can put a splitter on and
> get basic cable service for free. Is this true?

> Shane

Only if the installers fail to put the filter in your line that removes
cable TV services.

Post by Jim Alliso » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> >         I've heard through the grapevine that if you do not subscribe
> > to cable TV, but do have a cable modem, you can put a splitter on and
> > get basic cable service for free. Is this true?

> Only if the installers fail to put the filter in your line that removes
> cable TV services.

If you take advantage of the cableco's mistake in this example, you could be
charged with cable fraud.  It has happened before.

--
Jim Allison
http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~jim

>>CABLE MODEMS & FREE BASIC CABLE --- FACT OR FICTION?<<

Post by Patrick O' Sha » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

     I have no intention of doing this myself. I was just told by
someone where I work who said they did it. I was thinking the same
thing about the fraud thing.

     Although I must say, for years I had a store bought TV that was
able to receive HBO without it being scrambled and nobody ever said a
word. The chances of actually getting caught are about a million to
one, but it's not a chance I'm willing to take.

Quote:>If you take advantage of the cableco's mistake in this example, you could be
>charged with cable fraud.  It has happened before.

1. >>>>>>>A Conspiracy?<<<<<<<

I have suspected some noise problems on my line as well, but without
any hard evidence as of yet; I have, simply, not exhausted every
effort to do so at this time.  However, in my endeavor to find some
valid answers to my particular modem problems, I have been given some
very thought provoking responses by other folks online and various
modem manufacturers.  Most of today's modems have been designed to
work on "voice" grade phone lines.  Yet, when you call the phone
companies about the expected quality of your phone line, they simply
say that, they guarantee that you will be able to clearly talk and
listen on your residental phone lines.  Now, if modem manufacturers
are designing their modems to operate to "voice" grade phone line
specifications, as I'm sure they are, why does the phone company offer
this vague description of residential phone line quality?  Somebody is
not telling the whole truth here!  I theorize that the phone companies
have gotten away with providing substandard phone line quality for
some time now and until the advent of high speed modems these
deficiency have gone unchecked by the average customer.  What I find
even more outragous is that, the phone companies are more than happy
to tell and sell their customers expensive possible solutions to their
current phone line problems.  Am I missing something here?  "It is
possible that you (the phone company) are not giving me the level of
service I am ALREADY paying for."

If any other readers out there feel the way I do, then, please, write
me or post something to support or even discredit these hypothoses.
A lot of us are trying to work at home now-a-days and can't afford to
be jerked around any longer, if, infact, we are.  If this is a real
problem, it needs to be fixed not ignored.

Note:  These are my stong personal beliefs and, as of yet, are not
       proven fact...that's the nature of hypothesis and without it
       we would be still be hudled in caves fearing shadows.

2. "To Workspace" and "From Workspace" in Simulink

3. >>>>>>New Breakthrough!<<<<<<<<

4. Hover Button Error

5. <<<>>> INFORMATION ABOUT SPORTSTER LOCKUPS <<<>>>

6. RMS - and Square root Routines

7. <<<<<<<< Lan Guru's Please Help >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

8. FAQ for g++ and libg++, plain text version [Revised 01 Oct 1997]

9. <<<<<<<<<<<HELP>>>>>>>>>> Is there a place I can find a ...

10. <<<<<Modem Gamers>>>>>

12. >>>>>an important question<<<<<<

13. >>>>> ATLAS Peripherals <<<<<