New SupraFax SFM 288 1.44-12 flasher problems

New SupraFax SFM 288 1.44-12 flasher problems

Post by Bryan Hardi » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I'm wondering if anyone else out there on a Mac has had this problem. I
have been running the -09 beta copy of the 33.6 Supra firmware without any
problems for about a month now. I ran the new flasher -14 and everything
indicated that the flash was successful. Checksums were OK. Modem seemed
to work just fine. My only problem was that I began getting hang-ups. At
first I thought it was just a fluke. Then I ran some tests dialing into
several numbers for my ISP as well as AOL. Every one disconnected after
about 3-5 minutes. I tried upping the S38 number back to the old default
of 20. Still disconnected. I re-flashed back to -09 and everything is back
to normal and working just fine. I have been connected over 15minutes now.
I'm running on an 8500. There was a mention in the docs that there were
problems with PCI macs. What it didn't say was what kind of problems. I
assumed the flasher would die not flash a bad ROM set.

Anyway if anyone else experiances this kind of problem with a sudden rash
of disconnects following the upgrade to -14 please let me know. Until then
I'm staying with -09!! (BTW I flash the -09 version using SoftWindoz )

Bryan C. Harding

New SupraFax SFM 288 1.44-12 flasher problems

Post by Bryan Hardi » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I'm wondering if anyone else out there on a Mac has had this problem. I
> have been running the -09 beta copy of the 33.6 Supra firmware without any
> problems for about a month now. I ran the new flasher -14 and everything
> indicated that the flash was successful. Checksums were OK. Modem seemed
> to work just fine. My only problem was that I began getting hang-ups. At
> first I thought it was just a fluke. Then I ran some tests dialing into
> several numbers for my ISP as well as AOL. Every one disconnected after
> about 3-5 minutes. I tried upping the S38 number back to the old default
> of 20. Still disconnected. I re-flashed back to -09 and everything is back
> to normal and working just fine. I have been connected over 15minutes now.
> I'm running on an 8500. There was a mention in the docs that there were
> problems with PCI macs. What it didn't say was what kind of problems. I
> assumed the flasher would die not flash a bad ROM set.

> Anyway if anyone else experiances this kind of problem with a sudden rash
> of disconnects following the upgrade to -14 please let me know. Until then
> I'm staying with -09!! (BTW I flash the -09 version using SoftWindoz )

> Bryan C. Harding

Before I get slammed the -14 should have read -12 in the message
above...sorry...

--Bryan

New SupraFax SFM 288 1.44-12 flasher problems

Post by David Wel » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyway if anyone else experiances this kind of problem with a sudden rash
>of disconnects following the upgrade to -14 please let me know. Until then
>I'm staying with -09!! (BTW I flash the -09 version using SoftWindoz )

I am getting the same problems in Win95 (haven't tried Linux, yet).

Disconnected after 5-10 mins consistently.  Now I need to find a way
to "flash back".

        Fuzzy.

Post by Jeff Ram » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Anyway if anyone else experiances this kind of problem with a sudden rash
> of disconnects following the upgrade to -14 please let me know. Until then
> I'm staying with -09!! (BTW I flash the -09 version using SoftWindoz )

> Bryan C. Harding

   I also have had several disconnects in the past couple of days after flashing
 with the official 33.6 SFM 288 flasher. I use a Power Mac 7500.
   I haven't had more than one or two disconnects in the last 9 months of using
this SFM 288 modem, so it would seem to me that these disconnects are
quite possibly related to the new flash rom code.
   That said, I have been able to stay connected for several hours a
couple of times
since the flash upgrade, so I guess I'll keep this flash rom code around
for awhile
to see how it pans out.

J.C. Ramer

Post by Bryan Hardi » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >Anyway if anyone else experiances this kind of problem with a sudden rash
> >of disconnects following the upgrade to -14 please let me know. Until then
> >I'm staying with -09!! (BTW I flash the -09 version using SoftWindoz )

> I am getting the same problems in Win95 (haven't tried Linux, yet).

> Disconnected after 5-10 mins consistently.  Now I need to find a way
> to "flash back".

>         Fuzzy.

Fuzzy, just re-flash with the -09 Beta. I did this and I'm having no
problems. I'm still kind of perplexed as to why the -12 firmware wouldn't
hold the connections. The may be somthing about one of the new default
settings that needs to be modified. I figured I'd let the rest of the
world figure this one out and re-flash when everything settles. I upgraded
to -12 at first primarily because I hadn't had any problems with any of
the betas that preceeded it.

Bryan C. Harding

New SupraFax SFM 288 1.44-12 flasher problems

Post by David Wel » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Fuzzy, just re-flash with the -09 Beta. I did this and I'm having no
>problems. I'm still kind of perplexed as to why the -12 firmware wouldn't
>hold the connections. The may be somthing about one of the new default
>settings that needs to be modified. I figured I'd let the rest of the
>world figure this one out and re-flash when everything settles. I upgraded
>to -12 at first primarily because I hadn't had any problems with any of
>the betas that preceeded it.

I wish I could find my copy of the -09 Beta.  When I searched around
the Supra archives, all I found was an old 13.xxx flasher, so I did that
and (while I now have a slightly slower connection) I now stay connected.
If anyone can point me to a -09 Beta site/URL/whatever, I'd appreciate
it.

        Fuzzy.

Post by DrMo » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>    I also have had several disconnects in the past couple of days after flashing
>  with the official 33.6 SFM 288 flasher. I use a Power Mac 7500.
>    I haven't had more than one or two disconnects in the last 9 months of using
> this SFM 288 modem, so it would seem to me that these disconnects are
> quite possibly related to the new flash rom code.

Add me to the list of folks having disconnects with the new flasher.
(Exccept mine is on a Duo 230 and I was using the -09 beta for only a
few weeks with no problems...)

SUPRA/DIAMOND: Could you put the -09 beta back on your website? Please?
 $^)

---

Post by bmi » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >    I also have had several disconnects in the past couple of days after flashing
> >  with the official 33.6 SFM 288 flasher. I use a Power Mac 7500.
> >    I haven't had more than one or two disconnects in the last 9 months of using
> > this SFM 288 modem, so it would seem to me that these disconnects are
> > quite possibly related to the new flash rom code.

> Add me to the list of folks having disconnects with the new flasher.
> (Exccept mine is on a Duo 230 and I was using the -09 beta for only a
> few weeks with no problems...)

> SUPRA/DIAMOND: Could you put the -09 beta back on your website? Please?
>  $^)

> ---

Me too!  My SupraSonic hangs up when connected to a USR Courier.
(The Courier does a dial-back to my Sonic.)

Where is -09 ?

Post by Andy Y » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>Anyway if anyone else experiances this kind of problem with a sudden rash
>>of disconnects following the upgrade to -14 please let me know. Until then
>>I'm staying with -09!! (BTW I flash the -09 version using SoftWindoz )

>I am getting the same problems in Win95 (haven't tried Linux, yet).

>Disconnected after 5-10 mins consistently.  Now I need to find a way
>to "flash back".

>        Fuzzy.

I've had NO problems using V1.440-12 code on Win95.

Andy Yee, Senior Software Engineer
Emerson EMC, Chanhassen, MN
Personal Home Page:   http://www.winternet.com/~nde
"Democrats?  They think that all government is good.  They think that
the government can make you healthier, taller, improve your golf game...

Republicans, on the other hand, think that all governement is bad.
Then, they get elected to office and PROVE IT."

- P. J. O'Rourke

New SupraFax SFM 288 1.44-12 flasher problems

Post by Barry Nath » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Try adding this to your init string if you are having disconnect problems:

s191=150

This will slow down the initial connects, but it may help avoid drop problems. To counteract the slow connect speeds, add this as well to make the Supra adapt a little more dynamically to the line conditions:

%e1%g1s190=10

This way the Supra can use simple up/downshifts as well as full retrains (the shifts take *much* less time), and only waits for 10 seconds of good (or bad) line conditions, not 20, before it shifts or retrains.

If you still have drop problems after trying this, try increasing the number after s191=, up to a max of 255 (slowest connects). I hope this helps!
--

key. Web page coming RSN.

New SupraFax SFM 288 1.44-12 flasher problems

Post by Ken Stua » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

>>>Anyway if anyone else experiances this kind of problem with a sudden rash
>>>of disconnects following the upgrade to -14 please let me know. Until then
>>>I'm staying with -09!! (BTW I flash the -09 version using SoftWindoz )

>>I am getting the same problems in Win95 (haven't tried Linux, yet).

>>Disconnected after 5-10 mins consistently.  Now I need to find a way
>>to "flash back".

>>        Fuzzy.

>I've had NO problems using V1.440-12 code on Win95.

I'll bet this is an interoperability problem, ie when our modems with
V1.440-12 connect to certain other modems (otherwise Supra would have seen the
problem in testing).

It's too bad that there is no system that will allow one to download ATI style
information about the modem one has connected to.   That way, all of us who
the problem could see whether it was a particular brand, or whether the modem
connected to was also V.34+ or whatever.

Cheers,

Ken                         <*>

New SupraFax SFM 288 1.44-12 flasher problems

Post by Fuzz » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I wish I could find my copy of the -09 Beta.  When I searched around
>the Supra archives, all I found was an old 13.xxx flasher, so I did that
>and (while I now have a slightly slower connection) I now stay connected.
>If anyone can point me to a -09 Beta site/URL/whatever, I'd appreciate
>it.

And faster than you can say, "A-la peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!"
(talk about a cultural reference!), the Supra dudes put the Beta on
their ftp site:

ftp://ftp.supra.com/pub/flashers_history/v34/1.440-09BETA/

        Enjoy,
                Fuzzy