Maintaining connection

Post by Dominic Tr » Sun, 03 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I am not sure this is the right group for posting this but I couldn't
find a better group.  When I am connected to the internet, any phone
call in my number will break the connection.  The connection of my
modem is the first in the line.  All other phones in the house go after
the modem.  I have tried a Radio Shack device to disconnect other
phones in the same line when the modem is in used, but I get no luck
when someones calls in.  Does anyone have experience with this problem?
Is it the problem with my phone line or my modem.  I am using Zoom
V34.i modem.  Any suggestion is welcomed.  Thanx in advance

Maintaining connection

Post by John P. Dearin » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I am not sure this is the right group for posting this but I couldn't
>find a better group.  When I am connected to the internet, any phone
>call in my number will break the connection.  The connection of my
>modem is the first in the line.  All other phones in the house go after
>the modem.  I have tried a Radio Shack device to disconnect other
>phones in the same line when the modem is in used, but I get no luck
>when someones calls in.  Does anyone have experience with this problem?
>Is it the problem with my phone line or my modem.  I am using Zoom
>V34.i modem.  Any suggestion is welcomed.  Thanx in advance

It sounds like you have Call Waiting on your phone line. You need to disable
call waiting when placing an outgoing modem call. In almost all locations in
the USA the code to disable call waiting is *70 from a touch tone line (1170
from a pulse dial line. If the code doesn't work, call your phone company and
ask about how to disable Call Waiting on a per call basis.

For example: ATDT*70,5551212 uses touch tone to dial *70 then pauses briefly
and then finishes dialing 5551212.

This will disable call waiting for the duration of that call. Call waiting
will return to normal after you hang up.

If the line is being used for dial-in purposes, like leaving the PC turned on
to accept calls from others, there is nothing you can do but have Call
Waiting removed from the line. Call Waiting and *incoming* data calls are
mutually exclusive of each other.

Hope this helps!

John
--

1. Help. Modem maintains connection but no activity?

I've got a USR External 56K Voice Fax Modem Pro. It's connected to my Server. I'm using Win Proxy on the server. All settings are correct.  I connect from my workstation and everything is fine. Then after times ranging from 5 minutes to 2 hours. All of a sudden all I get are 404 timeouts, mail connection errors etc. It's as if I'm no longer connected to the internet. Yet the modem is still connected and on line. The only way to fix it is to hang up and redial. Then everything is fine again until it happens again. It happens to my daughters machine on the network too at the same time mine stops, so I know it's something with the server/modem.

What I've done to fix it. Uncheck use FIFO, clear all cache on both server and workstation. Uncheck Hardware flow control and then recheck when I discovered it didn't work. Did the same with error correction. Changed the Port speeds. Put AT&F in "extra settings", then changed everything back, all to no avail. I do have a 50 foot RJ11. I thought this could be the problem, but why aren't I just disconnecting.

2. FDDI to Cisco FDDI

3. Help w/5200 to call and maintain connection to 776

4. Problems with Flash MX

5. Help. Modem maintains connection but no activity?

6. Urgent Requirement: MySQL DBA / MN

7. Problems maintaining connections, please help

8. Sportster Won't Maintain Connection at 14400

9. Lan clients lose connection with 4.11 server; but maintain ms lan connection...

10. 1721 maintaining the state of VPN connections

11. How to Maintain Netware Connection with Win95

12. Can't maintain 128K ISDN connection