SupraFaxModem 288 or Hayes Accura?

Post by asir.. » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

If you had to choose between the SupraFaxModem 288 V.34 V.FC and
the Hayes Accura V.34 V.FC, which would you choose as the more
reliable and better modem. Give reason. Thanks, I need this info
quick.

Daniel

SupraFaxModem 288 or Hayes Accura?

Post by John Nav » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

[Posted to comp.dcom.modems]

>Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
>If you had to choose between the SupraFaxModem 288 V.34 V.FC and
>the Hayes Accura V.34 V.FC, which would you choose as the more
>reliable and better modem. Give reason. Thanks, I need this info
>quick.

Hayes is in Chapter 11 (bankruptcy); Supra is not.  An easy call IMHO.  ;-)
--
Best regards,

28800 Modem FAQ: http://web.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Post by Chad Wagn » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> What a stupid way to decide what modem to buy. "Chapter 11" is
>Reorganization. Many many companies have done this, in the past like
>Media Vision who is done reorganizing, and are better than ever.

From financial releases, and what I have picked up, Hayes has filed
a Chapter 11 reorganization and has complete it.  And apparently their
first quarter out of Chapter 11 was a profitable one, and supposedly they
have had profitable quarters thereafter.

I agree that it is not a good way to decide whether or not to buy a
product.  There is quite a few companies that have done a Chapter 11
Reorganization, and they still provide a quality product.
--
Chad Wagner

Post by Barry Levins » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: SupraFaxModem 288 or Hayes Accura?
>Date: 23 Jun 1995 02:13:26 -0400

>> What a stupid way to decide what modem to buy. "Chapter 11" is
>>Reorganization. Many many companies have done this, in the past like
>>Media Vision who is done reorganizing, and are better than ever.

It's true that Hayes had a profitable quarter while in its Chapter 11 case,
but I follow the case fairly closely, and Hayes has been having trouble
obtaining the long term financing that it needs to remain a viable company and
has been having trouble getting necessary parts from certain vendors.

Certainly the quality of a company's products needn't suffer while the
company is reorganizing, but I think the point is valid that if there are two
more or less equal products, I am going to buy the product from the company
that will be around for the long haul, that will be around to improve the
product and to provide support for the product. Personally, I think that Hayes
will survive its case, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't recommend a
competitive product, otherwise Hayes' equal, just because of the bankruptcy.

1. Hayes Accura or SupraFAXModem 288

Okay I didn't get a good answer the last time, so I'll ask again.
In more detail this time:-

1.      I know Hayes is under Chapter 11, but this question has
        nothing to do with the company, its about the Hayes
        Accura V.34 V.FC modem.

2.      Which modem is a better performer all round, the Accura
        V.34 V.FC or the SupraFAXModem 288? A blow by blow
        comparison would be great here.

3.      In the long term, which will be a better investment?
        Assuming that Hayes pulls out in the projected 6 - 8
        months.

4.      BYTE benchmarks shows that the Accura is averaging some
        200 cps faster than the Supra but I do not know what
        kind of files are being transferred. May I assume then
        that the Hayes does V.42 faster or more efficiently than
        the Supra? (or another Rockwell L39xx series controlled
        modem for that matter?)

5.      So if it comes to the crunch, I have a few more days to
        decide, which should I pick?

Thanks. I appreciate all informed answers.

73 de 9V1ZV Daniel

2. NEC 5FGe at 832x624 resolution

3. Motorola Power 288 Connecting to Hayes Accura 288

4. how to mesh an irregular shape?

5. Hayes Accura 288 V.FC upgrade???

6. SAP Connector for Notes

7. Help: Hayes Accura 288

8. Hayes ACCURA 288 Message Modem - Anyone know about it?

9. Accura Hayes 288 modem Voice&Fax strings

10. REDUCED Hayes Accura 288

11. (HELP!) Hayes ACCURA 288

12. Hayes Accura 288 - upgrade V.FC -> V.34?