BOYCOTT MEGAHERTZ PCMCIA MODEM!

Post by Amir Attar » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I have been the miserable owner of a 28.8 Megahertz CruiseCard since a
few months ago.  ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD ONE BUY THIS MODEM!
I have had great difficulty faxing with it, and NO SUPPORT at all has been
forthcoming from Megahertz.

The problem is that the modem fails to work with about 20% of fax
machines.  It dials, handshakes, but does not send.  When I try the same
experiment with either of 2 other modems (Global Village or Magnum) on
the same phone line and to the same fax machines, it works fine!  The
failure is 100% repeatable in my experience.

Megahertz has an e-mail address for tech support.  I have used this at
least twenty times, and NEVER HAD A REPLY FROM TECH SUPPORT!  It

infrequently, if ever, replied to.  The last time I tried was in January,
when out of exasperation I sent the same message 10 times!!  No reply yet.

I have spent hours on the phone with Megahertz, often at my expense, to
diagnose this problem, but they are unable to say with certainty what is
wrong.  Part of the problem is that their hardware is made for PC, and
their support for Mac is AWFUL.  For instance, if you own a PC and the
ROM of the modem needs to be flashed, this can be done by phone via their
BBS.  They do not offer this service for Mac, but offer instead to
exchange your modem by DHL.  Cost for this service: $35!!  And if it does
not work, too bad, since it is not refundable!!  You, the user, pick up
the tab for what would otherwise be unnecessary if Megahertz supported
Mac equivalently to PCs.

To top it off, the Megahertz techie I spoke to suggests that it's a problem
not with their product, but the Mac OS.  Of course this is rubbish as the
OS works with other modems, but it conveniently takes the onus off
Megahertz.  He suggested I upgrade my OS (it is only four months old).
Apparently the fact that Megahertz touts System 7 compatibility is
only relevant when they sell you the product.  Later, when their kit fails
to work, it becomes Apple's problem...

This is a poor product, with miserable support for Mac users.  I CANNOT
ADVISE STRONGLY ENOUGH THAT YOU NOT BUY A MEGAHERTZ
MODEM FOR MAC!  I would be very interested to know if any other users
have this SAME problem (no general problems, please), since I am
contemplating legal action under the British Columbia Sale of Goods Act.

Amir Attaran