Cirrus Logic 28.8 Modem - Anyone used one/opinions?

Cirrus Logic 28.8 Modem - Anyone used one/opinions?

Post by James W. Maune » Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

Say an ad for a Cirrus Logic 28.8 internal for $99.  Piqued my interest but
didn't know Cirrus Logic made a modem.  Checked their home page and only saw
info on chips they make for built-in modems.  Anyone have information that
he/she is willing to share about pros and cons?

Thanks.
--

Jim Mauney
Burlington Industries, Inc.

Cirrus Logic 28.8 Modem - Anyone used one/opinions?

Post by vclan.. » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>  Say an ad for a Cirrus Logic 28.8 internal for $99.  Piqued my interest but
>  didn't know Cirrus Logic made a modem.  Checked their home page and only saw
>  info on chips they make for built-in modems.  Anyone have information that
>  he/she is willing to share about pros and cons?

Cirrus Logic chips have a tendency to achieve their relative maturity after
spending a noticeable time in the field, among the users, at least their
14.4 families proved to be low-performers with more than a fair share of bugs.
As an example, they chose to sell voice equipped modems at nearly no/no at all
price increase versus their data+fax only. That was not a mission of
people-loving marketing, rather than a necessity caused by a very low performing
voice features. The speakerphone feature, as an example, was very susceptible to
howling, which in turn necessitated a significant decrease on microphone and
speaker gains (to the point of forcing the speakers on both ends to grab the
handset and continue the conversation via conventional means).

Cirrus has been underselling others, even bottom feeders, for a long time. Given
their handicap of having no silicon fab, one can only wonder what short cuts
have been made in design to make it profitable at this price.

If you can waste $100, do so but inform us about the result. In my opinion, even
Donald Trump has better things to spend a crispy $100 bill on than this gamble...

regards, vl.

1. Cirrus Logic based modems- opinions please

I would appreciate any feedback on controlerless modems based on the
Cirrus Logic chipset.

A local retailer has a very good deal on a PCI Cirruss Based modem - I
hoped it was Lucent but the box clearly indicates Cirrus.  It is not a
name brand, and comments on the Cirrus chipset itself would be
appreciated.  I am aware of the pitfalls of no-name stuff, but am still
curious as this is the first Cirrus based modem I have seen.

Thanks.

2. Sobol sequence .m request

3. Cirrus Logic modems and Init Strings - Anyone know these?

4. routing/subnet question

5. Trident e-mail & adress

6. Modems using Cirrus Logic MD9624ECT or better?

7. Dorling Kindersley CD Rom Problems

8. Help Needed: upgrading a Cirrus-Logic modem

9. Cirrus Logic Modem

10. Cirrus Logic CLM95 Modem Install Problem

11. Help with modem CIRRUS LOGIC

12. REQ: Proggy to convert WAV -> .CP (VOICE MODEM CIRRUS LOGIC)