Connecting a PC to Sun SPARC

Post by Aditya M. Ja » Mon, 16 Aug 1993 04:57:53

I have access to Sun SPARCstation 2+ and a IBM compatible PC
is there a very simple way in which I can use the PC to login to the
Sun SPARC (probably using a twisted pair and existing serial port)?
what software would I need on the Sun?
would I need addtional hardware ?
Can I do the same using 2 PCs connected as tty terminals to the Sun ?

Is it possible to do this ?

Thanks for reading the post
amj

Connecting a PC to Sun SPARC

Post by Syed Zaeem Hosa » Mon, 16 Aug 1993 07:00:09

Quote:

>I have access to Sun SPARCstation 2+ and a IBM compatible PC
>is there a very simple way in which I can use the PC to login to the
>Sun SPARC (probably using a twisted pair and existing serial port)?

Straight-forward RS-232 serial cable - setup as null-modem, I believe,
is needed.

Quote:>what software would I need on the Sun?

Nothing extra. Just start a getty on the line so that it will start a
login process - the sun manager's docs explain this pretty well. Get
the baud rates matched, etc. You will be limited to 38400 kbps, but may
have difficulty running higher than 19200 due to Sun limitations.

Quote:>would I need addtional hardware ?

If you have a serial port free on both the Sun and PC, then nothing
other than the cable is needed.

Quote:>Can I do the same using 2 PCs connected as tty terminals to the Sun ?

Yes, if you have two serial ports free on the Sun (typically, this is
true on most Sun workstations - there are two built in ones that are
unused generally).

Quote:>Is it possible to do this ?

Yes, see above.

Quote:>Thanks for reading the post

You are welcome.

| Syed Zaeem Hosain          P. O. Box 610097            (408) 441-7021 |