Attn: JIM THOMSEN - USR 33.6 - External - 1172 model - PROBLEMS

Attn: JIM THOMSEN - USR 33.6 - External - 1172 model - PROBLEMS

Post by John R. Lo » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

The following is just a small part of the several letters that I have
sent to usr over the past 4 months. To data I have not received a
satisfactory answer to any of my questions. You seem to be the only
"live" contact to the USR metropolis. Could you please provide answers
for me.

1 - when will rom upgrade be avia?

2 - when if ever will you have comprehensive docs on this modem?

3 - when will you provide a single comprehensive .inf file to use
instead of the 3 that are recomended?

4 - why is it that the internal modems have an extra book (the one on
quicklink) and other stuff and the external does not?

just as an extra - Why dont you guys rearrange your web and ftp site
to place ALL the Relavent files for a specific modem to its Own
directory/catagory. ie:
28.8 sportster
33.6   "
28.8 VI
33.6 Voice

ETC...
then someone just has to go into that dir for all they need to know,
instead of wasting hours scoping out the entire site for files they
need.

John,

        At this time there is not an updated release for this modem.
There
should however be one shortly. If you have any other questions or
comments
please let us know.

Regards,

Patrick
USRobotics On-Line Support
The Intelligent Choice In Information Access
G2P134QN

_________________________________
Subject: Re: Rule: Re: 0000

Date:    8/5/96 03:14 PM

serial # 0011720052531539

from win 96 modem/ diags / info/
ati7
product type   us/canada
92 mhz
256k
64k
3/20/96
3/20/96
2/0
2.0

John R. Long
Star Systems
19126 Bessemer St.
Reseda, Ca 91335-6701

818-344-9330

However ever since getting this 33.6 sportster voice, it just locks up
for some time, I have allways thought this to be the isp now I see it
in the news groups that this is a problem with the modem eprom rev.

Please send me the upgrade for mine. 92 mhz dsp and 3/20/96 roms,
external 33.6 voice. I am hearing that a Jim Thomsen there says a
5/20/96 rom is avia.

Also I did not get the green booklet from quicklink in my package
whereas I just recommended and installed an internal 33.6 voice and it
had the green book and what looked like 3 cd's in it.

Please send me what I am missing.

Also when you get the real and comprehensive docs for my modem please
let me know so that I can d/l them.  everything that is on your ftp is
dated pre to this modem, ie 8-15-95   etc...  I would like to have one
doc that covers this modem and only this modem in it's entirety. not
some of this and get this one too and read this also etc.. I feel that
I should not have to cut and paste the relevant docs together, there
are many others that would like the same thing, why dont you guys do
it.

The manual that came with this 33.6 is the most worthless book I have
seen that comes with a modem. at least the courier v.everything
booklet is comprehensive but that is not what I bought.

Also how about one inf file for win 95 that is specifically tailored
for
this modem, right now from what I can gather I have loaded mdmusrsp
mdmusrvi and usrwave.inf's in my inf dir and let win 95 do it's thing
but which one is it using? and is it the right one..

Quote:

>     Hello,

>     We will need the serial number of your modem and the supervisor/DSP
>     date in order to further assist you.  You can find the Supervisor/DSP
>     date of your modem by typing in ATI7 in a terminal screen such as the
>     one provided with quicklink.  The serial number can be found on the
>     box or on the modem itself.  It is on a white barcoded sticker and is
>     approximately 16 digits long.  As soon as we get your response with
>     this information, we will do our best to answer your question or solve
>     your problem.

>         Thank you

>     Best Regards,

>     Joon

>      U.S. Robotics On-Line Support
>           The Intelligent Choice in Information Access
>           AOL Keyword=  USRobotics
>           CompuServe=   GO USROBOTICS
>           FTP=             FTP.USR.COM

>           BBS            847-982-5092
>           MACINTOSH BBS  847-676-1598
>           Fax On Demand  800-762-6163
>           FAX            847-676-7314

>           Voice Support
>           Sportster      847-982-5151
>           Courier        800-550-7800

>           Please include all previous messages when responding...

>     FR376TVW

Attn: JIM THOMSEN - USR 33.6 - External - 1172 model - PROBLEMS

Post by Jim Thoms » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

John,

We have identified the problem and have a priority effort towards a
resolution. As soon as the fix is available I will post this
information in this NG.

Quote:>2 - when if ever will you have comprehensive docs on this modem?

Our Documentation is working on new manual formats as well as up to
date Technical Reference guides. Many documents, manuals, FAQ's,
Reference Guides are available via our On-line Services already. I
would be more then happy to forward feedback to our documnetation
group as to what you would like to see.

Quote:>3 - when will you provide a single comprehensive .inf file to use
>instead of the 3 that are recomended?

Although, I like the idea I do see some problems

The more modems the bigger the file. If you only have one modem and
have to obtain a 2 meg INF file to define your modem, I think it
defeats the purpose. Remember some INF's are for NT and some are for
95 as well. The switch to NT's driver style may make your request
happen.

Quote:>4 - why is it that the internal modems have an extra book (the one on
>quicklink) and other stuff and the external does not?

We have now gone to On-line Manuals which are on the CD. If you don't
have a CD a 800 number is provided so you can order the manual.

Quote:>just as an extra - Why dont you guys rearrange your web and ftp site
>to place ALL the Relavent files for a specific modem to its Own
>directory/catagory. ie:

The Web is currently being worked to make it more user friendly. There
is a new section called Software Library which breaks down products
into the major lines.

Regards,

Jim Thomsen
On-line Support

U.S. Robotics
The Intelligent Choice in Information Access