Problems with my NEW Maxtech NetPacer Pro (XPVS56I) X2 modem

Problems with my NEW Maxtech NetPacer Pro (XPVS56I) X2 modem

Post by Jerry Neel » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I bought this 56K modem (maxtech NetPacer Pro XPVS56I) which uses the X2
technology at a Technology Expo for $50.  I have nothing but trouble and the
support at Maxtech sucks. Their idea of "tech support" is an answering
machine where you can leave a message and hope they call you back.  Anyway,
enough *ing.  I have tried this modem in my computer with nothing else
with it but the video card.  It acts weird as in it either ties up the line
and will not hang up the line, or if by some miracle of God I am able to
dial, it just ends up getting all tied up in its' shorts.  The USR Sportster
33.6 that I took out worked absolutely perfectly and I never had any
problems with it.  I just couldn't resist the low offer for the 56K which my
ISP will support soon.  I have tried jumpering the modem for com 1 irq 4,
with my mouse at com 2, irq 3.  I have tried it for plug n play, I have even
tried dousing my system with holy water from the church down the street
(unintended sarcasm, sorry).  It always acts the same.  By the way, when I
type ATI7 in a terminal screen the eprom date and revisions are nothing but
9's (ex. date 99.99.9999)  is that normal for a Maxtech modem?  My USR has a
date of approx 08.19.1996 by comparison (not exact date, just an ex.)  Also,
if I set my Internet dial-up connection so I am prompted to manually type in
my id and pswd, it will not take any input, it just freezes up, which
reminds when I worked in Gateway 2000 tech support about a year ago and we
had those early USR sportster 33.6 modem that had the issue with "pausing" -
what we did to fix those was it had a socketed eprom and USR had an updated
version that fixed that problem.  Could it be possible that Maxtech has a
similar problem and hopefully they have some type of updated EPROM that I
could use to replace the faulty one on my card?  Just thought that I would
mention it.  I took the modem back to the place I bought it at and exchanged
it for another one of the exact same type and model.  They all act the same.
They were BRAND NEW modems and NOT USED modems at all.  If anyone out there
has the MAXTECH NETPACER PRO - MODEL XPVS56I and has gotten it to work
please let me know how by either responding to my post, or by emailing me at

Thank You,
Wayne D. Neely
NationsBank Systems Consultant
Systems and Programming Consultants - Dallas, TX

1. PLEASE HELP! - Problems with my NEW Maxtech NetPacer Pro (XPVS56I) X2 modem

I bought this 56K modem (maxtech NetPacer Pro XPVS56I) which uses the X2
technology at a Technology Expo for $50.  I have nothing but trouble and the
support at Maxtech sucks. Their idea of "tech support" is an answering
machine where you can leave a message and hope they call you back.  Anyway,
enough bitching.  I have tried this modem in my computer with nothing else
[...]

2. Beam a whole category?

3. Maxtech NetPacer 56k x2 modem problems

4. SAP Business Connector and XML - SAP Tutorials - OneStopSAP.com

5. Maxtech XPVS56I trouble

6. How do *you*/ what's the best way - to do backup? (was Re: Automating Standalone Backup)

7. MaxTech NetPacer "freezes" intermittently?

8. Workbench 2.0 TagLists

9. MaxTech NetPacer v.34+

10. Maxtech modem on new m/c problems

11. FS 7845 NT1, WaveRunner, NetPacer 221, Eicon Diva Pro

12. FS WaveRunner, NT1, NetPacer 221 & Eicon Diva Pro

13. FS 7845 NT1, WaveRunner, NetPacer 221, Eicon Diva Pro