Microcom FAST & persistent fax retrains

Post by Paul Har » Mon, 26 Sep 1994 18:34:11

I've got a problem which I thought had automagically fixed itself,
but now it's just returned.

I have a Microcom TravelPorte FAST with ROM revision 1.3 (the
TravelPorte didn't appear to go to 1.4 at the same time the
DeskPorte FAST did). Using Delrina Winfax 4 on a Zeos 90MHz
Pentium machine and WFWG 3.11, the modem makes a connect but
at the end of the first page retrains from 9600 to 7200 and
sends the page again, then down to 4800, then 2400, then Winfax
tells me the transmission failed. However, 4 perfect-looking
pages did come out at the other end.

I've tried setting the modem up as a generic class 1 with software
handshaking, also hardware handshaking. The two entries for other
Microcom modems don't work: the modem doesn't connect.

I think this is simply an initialization string problem, but I don't
know how to improve it. The TravelPorte is not the same chipset as
the ES or EP: strings for these are not the answer!

Paul Hardy                                                  Keys available

Microcom FAST & persistent fax retrains

Post by Mike Teli » Thu, 29 Sep 1994 22:51:49

Hi Paul,

>I've got a problem which I thought had automagically fixed itself,
>but now it's just returned.

:-)) It's been just hiding in the bushes for a while :^)

Quote:>I have a Microcom TravelPorte FAST with ROM revision 1.3 (the
>TravelPorte didn't appear to go to 1.4 at the same time the
>DeskPorte FAST did). Using Delrina Winfax 4 on a Zeos 90MHz
>Pentium machine and WFWG 3.11, the modem makes a connect but
>at the end of the first page retrains from 9600 to 7200 and
>sends the page again, then down to 4800, then 2400, then Winfax
>tells me the transmission failed. However, 4 perfect-looking
>pages did come out at the other end.

It my humble opinion, the problem is not in your hardware. What's happening,
the fax machine on the other end sends negative confirmation on the page you
just sent (so-called RTN message). A generic fax machine either ignores the
RTN or prints an error report saying that there may be errors in pages number
nn,mm,kk (i.e. in pages confirmed with RTN). The reason is that the page already
gone thru the fax machine by the time it got RTN, and fax machine can't repeat
it. Winfax still has the page handy, and tries to retransmit it.

You can't fix the problem adjusting your modem, simply because it is working
right. It is the other end who transmits RTN, and your modem just reports it.

There are two ways to fix the problem.

1. If the problem appears with one fax machine only (or a small number of them),
you can try to pursuade the owner(s) to adjust it. Some machines have a setup
for the max allowed number of bad lines or/and consequtive bad lines on a page.
If this number is too small, the machine will almost always send RTN.

2. Try to find another fax software, not as smart as Winfax :) Some softwarez
just ignore RTN, and it's all right in your case.

Quote:> Mike

Microcom FAST & persistent fax retrains

Post by Mike Teli » Mon, 03 Oct 1994 03:01:59

Hi Paul,

>>It my humble opinion, the problem is not in your hardware. What's happening,
>>the fax machine on the other end sends negative confirmation on the page you
>>just sent (so-called RTN message).
>OK, I'd buy the argument, except this is happening with a fax group of some
>60 fax machines. Of course, I don't actually know if all 60 respond this way
>to my humble TravelPorte, and I don't intend to find out, but the first dozen

I'm sure they all *do* respond with the RTN.

Quote:>or so all respond the same way. Faxing out through my ZyXEL, which is
>Class 2 although I don't know if that's relevant to this particular
>problem, works just fine.

Class 1 even more strong from the point of view of the response messages. Class
2 modems decode responses internally and report them in form +FPTS: n messages.
Class 1 modems simply forward to the host (PC) what they get from the line, and
then software decodes the information. To solve your problem, we need to figure
out *why* does receiving fax machine send back the RTN message.

I know two reasons for that:

1. Poor quality of the received image, and
2. No RTC in the end of page.

You mentioned that all four copies were of excellent quality, so it is not the
case. Then, it may be RTC problem. RTC (Return To Control) is a special sequence
in page data (six or more End-Of-Line in a row). Receiving fax machine, upon
receipt of the RTC, should stop receiving of page data and proceed to the post
page negotiations. In real life, fax machines wait for the transmitter to drop
page carrier, and then go to post-page. They do it regardless of whether they
received RTC, or not - if they detected that page carrier's gone, they exit page
mode and goto post page. However, many of them notice that there was no RTC, and
consider the page bad - they send RTN.

Class 1 fax modems do not parse the data they are sending, so that the software
is responsible to add RTC to the end of page. Class 2 modems may add RTC
themselves. So, the natural question is: did you try your modem with the software
it came with ?

Quote:> Mike

Post by Paul Har » Sun, 02 Oct 1994 18:25:00

>Hi Paul,

Hi Mike

Quote:>It my humble opinion, the problem is not in your hardware. What's happening,

Post by Paul Har » Thu, 06 Oct 1994 22:10:00

>Hi Paul,
>>or so all respond the same way. Faxing out through my ZyXEL, which is
>>Class 2 although I don't know if that's relevant to this particular
>>problem, works just fine.

>To solve your problem, we need to figure
>out *why* does receiving fax machine send back the RTN message.
>2. No RTC in the end of page.
>Class 1 fax modems do not parse the data they are sending, so that the software
>is responsible to add RTC to the end of page. Class 2 modems may add RTC
>themselves.

Right, so the problem is probably in the software itself, Winfax Pro.
Unfortunately, Delrina aren't quite as responsive to questioning. I've
already disabled ECM since it was suggested that might be a cause, but it
did not remedy the problem.

Quote:>So, the natural question is: did you try your modem with the software
>it came with ?

And the shallow answer no, I didn't. It's my experience that once a
program is added to Windows, especially a comms program, it's remarkably
difficult to un-add it. I do need some of the features Winfax offers.

Sigh. I know, I know, if it was supplied with the modem, it will likely
work. I'll install it and find out.

Thanks for the help.

1. Microcom DeskPorte FAST v.34 --&-- Poor Lines

I'm considering a Microcom DeskPorte FAST v.34 modem for a rural area where
the phone lines seem marginal at best.  I like the DeskPorte's LCD display,
and what I've heard about it (not much) is good.  Has anyone had any
experience with this beast?  How does it compare to the other modems with
displays?  (Supra?  Practical?  Others?)

mucho TIA, dan
___
dan mcmullen                               don't worry - pay attention

      fingerprint  =  E4 F9 24 00 8C 1F 69 48  3B 09 C4 9A 09 59 43 0E

2. State Department official stands firm on Y2K dangers

3. Microcom D'porte Fast V.34 & Trumpet

4. Please Advice!!>

5. Microcom DeskPorte Fast ES 28.8 & Macintosh--Help Please!

6. !!! WAVeBOY Plugins for Ensoniq EPS/ASR - Package Special !!!

7. Microcom Deskporte Fast V.34 & PPI V.34

8. Microcom DeskPorte FAST ES 28.8 serial port & auto-answer

9. microcom deskporte fast & windows nt

10. &&& PLAY AND EARN MONEY FAST &&&