Zoom k56/Mac questions

Post by Colleen Wilso » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am new to this newsgroup and appreciate your patience with my
questions.  I read the threads but have not seen any info about my
problems.  Here I go...

I recently received a Zoom k56 modem for my Mac Performa 180mhz.  I
cannot find an init string that works reliably and I'd appreciate any
suggestions.

Also, I have read about the important of the modem firmware version and
updates.  How do I locate that info?  It is not on the disks that came
with the modem and I do not know what to search for in the finder.

Lastly, my FreePPP software tells me I am connecting at 230,400bps but
that is not what I've read is standard.  How do I check the speed of my
average connection?  I have several links to line testers and some speed
testors but I though loading the CCL file would give me that accurate
reading in PPP.

TIA, Colleen
______________
remove SPAM for replying

Zoom k56/Mac questions

Post by roy lewi » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> To get your modem to report
> CONNECT (line speed) instead of CONNECT (port speed) try adding S95=43 to
> your init string.

thanks for that.  works great.

Zoom k56/Mac questions

Post by Richard To » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

 -=> Quoting Colleen Wilson to All <=-

 CW> I recently received a Zoom k56 modem for my Mac Performa 180mhz.  I
 CW> cannot find an init string that works reliably and I'd appreciate any
 CW> suggestions.

AT&F1

 CW> Also, I have read about the important of the modem firmware version
 CW> and updates.  How do I locate that info?

Use terminal mode, type ATI3I6.  That'll reply with your firmware revision
installed, then your datapump version

 CW> Lastly, my FreePPP software tells me I am connecting at 230,400bps but
 CW> that is not what I've read is standard.

That is the speed between the modem and your Mac

 CW> How do I check the speed of
 CW> my average connection?  I have several links to line testers and some
 CW> speed testors but I though loading the CCL file would give me that
 CW> accurate reading in PPP.

Best way is by CPS download rate on a fully compressed file greater in size
than 130kb located at your ISP (not a remote site).  You can also call
back aftercall diagnostics which will give you details of your last connect
using a terminal program with command AT&V1.  To get your modem to report
CONNECT (line speed) instead of CONNECT (port speed) try adding S95=43 to
your init string.  You can add to your dial string as an alternative:
ATS95=43D^T

rgdZ
Richard

   +=======================================+
   |    PackLink / Zoom Modem Support      |
   |      BBS & Fax +44(0)1812972486       |
   |      FidoNet 2:254/235  V34Plus       |

   +=======================================+
... Why pay more?

1. Zoom k56 Flex internal (Model 2826)

I'm having problems installing this modem.

The first thing that happens is that PnP does not list the name of the
modem, but displays it simply as K56Flex (Not sure if that is an actual
problem in itself, but every other PnP device I've had has had the
manufacturer listed).

When I search for a driver in the installation wizard, Windows can't find
one.  If I manually try to load the driver for a standard K56Flex, I get a
warning telling me that this driver was not originally written for the
device and do I want to proceed.  When I click yes, after a few seconds,
'Device not installed' appears in the wizard window)

When boot up competes, there are two new 56k modems installed - K56Flex and
K56 Flex #2. One is on COM3, the other is COM5, which I'm not even sure
exists.  The #2 modem connects ok, but I'm not convinced I'm getting 56k
performance.

Does anyone know of a Zoom site in the UK? www.zoomtel.com only seems to
provide drivers for US modems

Andrea

***JUNK EMAIL STUFF***
If you reply to the email contained in this message, your message will be
bounced back to your ISP

bits removed.
Apologies for any inconvenience
***JUNK EMAIL STUFF***

2. Soundsmith Problem

3. K56 Zoom Connection Problem

4. Kiss Your Doomer Ass Good-Bye

5. Need Help with ZOOM 56K Mod 2826 (V90 & K56)

6. AWP file reader in C

7. Teeny-tiny Zoom 2949 K56/V.90 Review

8. MSDN Subscribers can now receive responses in 2 business days!

9. Zoom k56 Flex internal 2819

10. volume control commands for Zoom K56 - please help

11. Richard Town: When does Zoom 2849 K56 light come on

12. Problems with latest Zoom K56 Flash Internal iz1200a

13. Zoom K56-Too loud