x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by charle » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

alt.binaries.cracks

Greetings All,.........In order to cut down on all the extra
postings,....I'll try to explain this simply regarding USR modems, as
far as
the Sportster line is concerned,.....

ONLY the Sportster Winmodem, originally sold at 28.8 or 33.6, is
upgradeable
to 56k via a SOFTWARE ROM upgrade,......meaning a software "patch" or
"update" if these words make more sense to you.  One such model has a
USR
model # of 1125 Internal,...there are also many others that fall into
this
catagory.

As far as all other models,..such as the Sportster Faxmodem and
Sportster
Voice Faxmodem series, require a hardware ROM upgrade.  Software
upgrades
will NOT work on these units.  Some models that falls into this
category are
USR models #839, #840,  #1171, #1172 and many others.

As far as USR is concerned,...the only FREE software upgrades they
offer is
to go from 28.8 - 33.6 ,...and also......from 56k -"the unknown future
standard".  33.6 to 56 K is NOT a FREE upgrade regardless of a
software or
hardware upgrade.  Both upgrades cost $60.  I don't agree with this
policy,
but it isn't my company.  I have seen the SOFTWARE upgrade posted here
and
many have said that it works,.....BUT it will only work on the
WINMODEM
series as explained above,.......all others who need a HARDWARE
upgrade have
no other choice but to go thru USR and pay $60 or settle for their
present
33.6 rate.

Just to quickly explain why the above makes sense,.....the Winmodem
series
was made inexpensively to offer the customer a better deal if they
didn't
need to use it in DOS or WinNT,......thus,...made less expensively
since
they are not using a hardware ROM on board,......instead they are only
using
software that loads while windows is running (saves the company and
you
money).  The Faxmodem series does have a hardware ROM on the card and
can
dial in Win95, DOS, WinNT, because it doesn't use software to work
(besides
it's drivers),.....this line of modems cost about twice as much as the
Winmodem line.

So, basically,.....if everyone bought the Winmodem (less expensive
than the
Faxmodem series), you would be able to get a "FREE" upgrade to 56K via
this
newsgroup or anywhere else on the internet,......just not from
USR,...that
will cost you $60.  But remember,..the Winmodem ONLY works in
Windows,...NOT
DOS.

I hope this helps everyone concerned.  I tried to explain it the best
could knowing that some people here may not be as knowledgeable as
others,....but from what I have seen,...this is a pretty bright group
overall.  Also,...I do NOT work for USR or 3Com,.........I am a PC
technician, Web Designer, etc,..... and normally answer technical
questions
in other newsgroups.  The only reason I am posting this here,...is
that I
have seen several requests and contradictory postings and I figured I
would
try to help.   Also,.......I DON'T have the software
upgrade,........but it
is posted here every few days,........keep a look out for it.  I have
never
tested the software that is floating around,....but if it is the one
from
USR, then it will work,.............many people have said it works
fine,........so you'll have to trust they have an original copy.
Lastly,.......USR makes other modems besides the Sportster,.......such
as
the Courier,........and even though I haven't worked with these
others,....I'm sure they follow the same basic
technology,..........but the
software upgrade will probably be slightly different than for the
Sportster.
The only upgrade I have seen in this group is for the Sportster
Winmodem,....so make sure you know what you are looking for.

I'll try to answer follow up questions if there are any,.....just
continue
the thread with this message,.......but ONLY post if your question
wasn't
answered above.  No EMAIL,..Thanks

If you don't believe me, or want to talk to USR,........call
1-800-DIALUSR
or  847-982-5151

Good Luck,

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by Frank Heisl » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: alt.binaries.cracks

Jesus, if that's the kind of garbage being posted to that news group, I
should be checking in there more often for my laugh of the day!

--
Cheeri'o...
            Frank...

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by Bo » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Ha, ha, haaaaaa..............
I can't believe that something like this could be posted.

> [...]

>the Courier,........and even though I haven't worked with these
>others,....I'm sure they follow the same basic
>technology,..........but the
>software upgrade will probably be slightly different than for the
>Sportster.
>The only upgrade I have seen in this group is for the Sportster
>Winmodem,....so make sure you know what you are looking for.

>I'll try to answer follow up questions if there are any,.....just
>continue
>the thread with this message,.......but ONLY post if your question
>wasn't
>answered above.  No EMAIL,..Thanks

>If you don't believe me, or want to talk to USR,........call
>1-800-DIALUSR
>or  847-982-5151

>Good Luck,

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by charle » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

      After looking at the USR website, I found that there's one
mistake with Snakes post. It turns out the 33.6 Sportster Faxmodem(non
voice) models 839(external) 840(internal) and 1265(external Macintosh
version) are also software upgradable, although some older 839,840, or
1265 modems might not be, you have to see using the USR Robotics X2
update wizard or call USR, they'll ask you to see the numbers after
the 839,840 or 1265 on the modem. If you bought one recently then it's
probably software upgradable. Also Couriers might be software
upgradable but I'm not sure about this. But no 33.6 Sportster Faxmodem
with Voice can be software upgraded, they can only be upgraded by
sending it in for a chip replacement.

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by Doug Hair » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

 My real email address may not show in the header, use
dhaire at gate.net for personal replies.
 -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Non-Voice Sportsters (most models) are flashable, as are all Couriers.

Post by charle » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Jesus, if that's the kind of garbage being posted to that news group, I
>should be checking in there more often for my laugh of the day!

Quote:>Ha, ha, haaaaaa..............
>I can't believe that something like this could be posted.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!,
you're right it is so funny!!!!! I can't keep myself from laughing!
somebody help me! I can't stop!...............

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by rcoll.. » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>ONLY the Sportster Winmodem, originally sold at 28.8 or 33.6, is
>upgradeable to 56k via a SOFTWARE ROM upgrade,......meaning a >software "patch" or "update" if these words make more sense to you.  >One such model has a USR model # of 1125 Internal,...there are also >many others that fall into this catagory.

>As far as all other models,..such as the Sportster Faxmodem and
>Sportster Voice Faxmodem series, require a hardware ROM upgrade.  >Software upgrades will NOT work on these units.

Sorry - but Sportster FAX modems have been upgradable through FLASH
uploads for almost a year now.  Older production requires a chip
change - newer production does not.

Rick (remove X from e-mail address)

Post by charle » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Sorry - but Sportster FAX modems have been upgradable through FLASH
>uploads for almost a year now.  Older production requires a chip
>change - newer production does not.

>Rick (remove X from e-mail address)

Not the Sportster FaxModem Voice modems though.

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by FORTY6 » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Saw your post and hope you can help me on this one: I have an old USR Sportster
Winmodem internal #1125 28.8 which I updated to 33.6 with no probs. Then I got
this wild hair about supercharging it to X-2 56K. I used a warez-posted (OK OK,
I know... my first mistake!)) upgrade wizard + code. All went well and my
Control Panel modem icon tells me I've got a Winmodem 56K.

Unfortunately, now I'm connecting even slower than at 33.6 with AOL and can't
even get connected to my ISP! I just want to go back to the way it was. I want
to UNFLASH (downgrade) the modem to it's original specs. How do I do that?

When I use Control Panel to remove Winmodem 56K and restart Win95, I get the
message: Detected Winmodem 56K modem - insert driver disk. Well, if I put in
the 28.8 or 33.6 floppy in, Win95 refused to accept it. So click cancel, which
forces a restart and I'm back where I started!!! -- ad nauseam.

Again... any ideas on how to DOWNgrade my Winmodem? You post said something
about this modem being software (not flashROM) upgraded. Then why does Win95
keep recognizing my winmodem as a 56K unit instead of 28.8 after removed via
control panel??

Any help you can offer will really be appreciated. TIA.

-Joe in NY

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by Owen Sween » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Again... any ideas on how to DOWNgrade my Winmodem? You post said something
>about this modem being software (not flashROM) upgraded. Then why does Win95
>keep recognizing my winmodem as a 56K unit instead of 28.8 after removed via
>control panel??

>Any help you can offer will really be appreciated. TIA.

This is just a shot in the dark, but have you tried removing the
Winmodem from the PCI slot,  as well as removing it from through the
Control Panel, and then trying a reinstall?

The only 100% sure way of doing it, if this fails is by getting the
336 u/g file again, saving it to flopy, and ahem...reinstalling Win95!

>-Joe in NY

x2 upgrade for USR modems-- A FULL explanation of how the upgrades work,........

Post by rcoll.. » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>even get connected to my ISP! I just want to go back to the way it was. I >want
>to UNFLASH (downgrade) the modem to it's original specs. How do I do >that?

Gee - maybe you should "downgrade" the same way you "upgraded" - look
for a "warez" solution.

ROFLMAO!

Post by cqui.. » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>>Again... any ideas on how to DOWNgrade my Winmodem? You post said something
>>about this modem being software (not flashROM) upgraded. Then why does Win95
>>keep recognizing my winmodem as a 56K unit instead of 28.8 after removed via
>>control panel??
>This is just a shot in the dark, but have you tried removing the
>Winmodem from the PCI slot,  as well as removing it from through the
>Control Panel, and then trying a reinstall?
>The only 100% sure way of doing it, if this fails is by getting the
>336 u/g file again, saving it to flopy, and ahem...reinstalling Win95!

Or identify and rename the extension of the .inf file for the modem.
PnP works by looking for an .inf that matches whatever the modem says
it is... to identfy the .inf involved, enable and look through
ModemLog.txt (rename if the log file exists and is 64k long, it
truncates at that point).  Then Find that file, etc.

1. How does USR X2 upgrade work on 33.6 USR Sportster internal modems

: I am considering buying a 33.6 USR Sportster (int) and then upgrading, any thoughts, concerns?

: Or should I just buy an X2 straight up.

: Are there any hardware differences between the 33.6 and 56K besides the
: flash ROM upgrade?

No.  In fact, both the 33.6 and 56K modems use the *same* flash ROM upgrade.
There is a feature switch in the modem that enables 56K.  In the US or
Canada, the only *legal* way to enable that feature switch is to purchase
the upgrade for $60 from USR.  So, if you are offered a 56K Courier for a
price less than $60 more than the 33.6K unit, buy the 56K unit instead, since
you are planning to upgrade anyway.

Larry

2. BEWARE of Smart and Friendly and their crappy tech support!

3. How does USR X2 upgrade work on 33.6 modems

4. Progress Control in VC++?

5. USR X2 vs ISDN (Was: USR X2 upgrade free or not?

6. GEOS/NewDOS on other DOS'es; Win95 keyboard driver?

7. USR x2 Upgrade does not work

8. SMS Site Comp. manager Freaked Out!!

9. 56 x2 upgrade form USR 60$\not working

10. The New USR x2 to x2 upgrade

11. Cannot upgrade my USR Sportster Flash to X2, says USR wizard

12. USR X2 and the Modem Upgrade Wizard