serial port check ? null modem cable check ?

serial port check ? null modem cable check ?

Post by Mario Desideri » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 05:26:21

Hello,

Is there a shareware or freeware software to check serial ports in a
Windows 98 based PC ? if so please where can I download it ? what is it
call this software ?

What about a dos command line ? what is the command to test the COM
ports ?

What about checking a null modem cable ( pin 2 with 3, 3 with 2 and 5
with 5 ) how can I check if a cable is properly wired ?

Possible to connected in the same PC between com1 and com2 and check it
? How ? any software or command line to execute ? what is this DOS
command ?

Thanks,

Mario Desiderio

serial port check ? null modem cable check ?

Post by Hooda Ges » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 06:06:38

Quote:> Hello,

> Is there a shareware or freeware software to check serial ports in a
> Windows 98 based PC ? if so please where can I download it ? what is it
> call this software ?

Best test for a serial port is an actual modem. Most of the software
requires a loopback device connected to the port to thoroughly check it.
Here's a link to a search I did at Cnet...

http://shareware.search.com/search?cat=237&tag=ex.sa.fd.srch.sa_win&q...
+port+test

Quote:

> What about a dos command line ? what is the command to test the COM
> ports ?

There are DOS programs that do the testing, again with the same requirements
above.

The reason for the external loopback tool is because the software doesn't
test all the way out without one, it just creates a loopback within the UART
itself.

Quote:

> What about checking a null modem cable ( pin 2 with 3, 3 with 2 and 5
> with 5 ) how can I check if a cable is properly wired ?

Sure, easiest test is to put the cable between two computers. But you want
to do more than the wiring you've shown above. I don't have the wiring info
handy though. It's cheap and easier to buy a Null modem adapter than to wire
a cable yourself.

Quote:

> Possible to connected in the same PC between com1 and com2 and check it
> ? How ? any software or command line to execute ? what is this DOS
> command ?

I used to do that back in the old days (pre-5.0 version of DOS) using a
multitasker called Desqview.
I haven't tried it with Win9x but it's worth a try. Open two copies of a
terminal program (preferably a DOS one, not a Windows type), put one on 1
port and the other on another port and see if you can type to each.

Hooda

serial port check ? null modem cable check ?

Post by Joe Durusa » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:34:39

        The usual way of checking a cable is with a multimeter,
available for $10 or so at numerous stores.  You can check the whole
shebang by connecting com1 on computer 1 to com1 on computer 2,
then run kermit or some similar program, and watch yourself
type on computer 1 with the screen on computer 2 and vice
versa.

        The above is just an example, there are more elaborate
things you can do if you are running Linux or something similar.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

> > Hello,

> > Is there a shareware or freeware software to check serial ports in a
> > Windows 98 based PC ? if so please where can I download it ? what is it
> > call this software ?

> Best test for a serial port is an actual modem. Most of the software
> requires a loopback device connected to the port to thoroughly check it.
> Here's a link to a search I did at Cnet...

> http://shareware.search.com/search?cat=237&tag=ex.sa.fd.srch.sa_win&q...
> +port+test

> > What about a dos command line ? what is the command to test the COM
> > ports ?

> There are DOS programs that do the testing, again with the same requirements
> above.

> The reason for the external loopback tool is because the software doesn't
> test all the way out without one, it just creates a loopback within the UART
> itself.

> > What about checking a null modem cable ( pin 2 with 3, 3 with 2 and 5
> > with 5 ) how can I check if a cable is properly wired ?

> Sure, easiest test is to put the cable between two computers. But you want
> to do more than the wiring you've shown above. I don't have the wiring info
> handy though. It's cheap and easier to buy a Null modem adapter than to wire
> a cable yourself.

> > Possible to connected in the same PC between com1 and com2 and check it
> > ? How ? any software or command line to execute ? what is this DOS
> > command ?

> I used to do that back in the old days (pre-5.0 version of DOS) using a
> multitasker called Desqview.
> I haven't tried it with Win9x but it's worth a try. Open two copies of a
> terminal program (preferably a DOS one, not a Windows type), put one on 1
> port and the other on another port and see if you can type to each.

> Hooda

serial port check ? null modem cable check ?

Post by RoBearBell » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:12:27

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:26:21 +0100, Mario Desiderio

Quote:>Hello,

>Is there a shareware or freeware software to check serial ports in a
>Windows 98 based PC ? if so please where can I download it ? what is it
>call this software ?

There are several software that could be used to check out PC hardware
such as SYSCheck.  The "null" plug you are asking about is most likely
called loopback plug.  It basically wires tx and rx together (forgot
the exact wiring diagram) so when a data is sent to a comm port, the
dame data should return from the same port.  If no data returns,
either you don't have the plug installed or it's not working (ie blown
port or turned off in BIOS)

serial port check ? null modem cable check ?

Post by John » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:00:14

There used to be a number of PC diagnostic programs around.  One was
"checkit" .  Try this site for starters

http://www.smithmicro.com/checkit/
--

John

"Being beautiful is better than being smart."
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Quote:> Hello,

Post by Plat » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:04:55

> Is there a shareware or freeware software to check serial ports in a
> Windows 98 based PC ? if so please where can I download it ? what is it

I still use dos and a loopback plug and a real old version of
CheckIt to test serial ports on modern systems.

1. Modem-to-Modem via Telephone wire...not null cable (RS232, port-to-port).

I have two computers in my home.  I want to connect them together via modem.
Both modems are 28.8, well, one is really 26.4.  The computers are in
different rooms & I don't have enought money to get some ethernet cards yet.
I have cable to each modem.  I have been trying commands but no luck.  They
are both external & good, Cardnal & US Robotics sportster.  I am operating on
Win3.x & the other computer is on Win95.

2. IDE/EIDE/SCSI newbie question

3. snmp error checking which field to check?

4. win program problems!!

5. Cisco Price Check / Reality Check

6. group policy only works sometime

7. Packets check in but they don't check out!

8. SAT programs

9. 26HD (AGS+ serial) null modem cable pinout?

10. 6501 serial null modem cable

11. How long serial and parallel null modem cable can be?

12. Modem Hangs? Check the cables.

13. Is there software for networking WfW via serial/null modem cable?