hooda, toasted USR?

Post by Fran » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Hooda,
               I am just looking for your opinion on this one for future
reference. I suggested to the customer to get a new modem and was wondering
what you think. It worked fine until yesterday. Nonew hardware or software
installed. Its a usr 56k faxmodem (hardware) . He gets back the error there
is no response from the modem. Under device manager there was no listing for
modems at all, the usr was under other devices. He claims its always been
like that, but of course I had him remove it from there and also from the
modems control panel and reboot. New hardware was found, and he had his
install CD which I walked him through. Everything went fine and the modem
emulated its own com port. But the same problem exist. Through HyperTerminal
upon an AT sent direct to the com port it returns "BOOT"  at&f1 returns
error as does any other at command.
ATDT# as well comes back with error.  Any thoughts?

Frank

--

hooda, toasted USR?

Post by Hooda Ges » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Hooda,
>                I am just looking for your opinion on this one for future
> reference. I suggested to the customer to get a new modem and was
wondering
> what you think. It worked fine until yesterday. Nonew hardware or software
> installed. Its a usr 56k faxmodem (hardware) . He gets back the error
there
> is no response from the modem. Under device manager there was no listing
for
> modems at all, the usr was under other devices. He claims its always been
> like that, but of course I had him remove it from there and also from the
> modems control panel and reboot. New hardware was found, and he had his
> install CD which I walked him through. Everything went fine and the modem
> emulated its own com port. But the same problem exist. Through
HyperTerminal
> upon an AT sent direct to the com port it returns "BOOT"  at&f1 returns
> error as does any other at command.
> ATDT# as well comes back with error.  Any thoughts?

It's damaged. Something happened to the modem; whether it was a power surge,
a lightning strike, an attempt to flash the modem which got interrupted (a
power hit), or just some component going blooey (highly technical term
meaning "sumpin' bad happened") is pretty much unimportant at this point.

His modem should still be under warranty (assuming it isn't actually an OEM
model he bought at a computer show or through an auction site) and he can
get it repaired. He'll need to contact 3Com, on his dime unfortunately.

Hooda

hooda, toasted USR?

Post by Fran » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Thank you ,
                 I always like a second opinion (although I already told him
that before getting one) but hearing it
from you as well, makes me feel better...

Frank

--

> > Hi Hooda,
> >                I am just looking for your opinion on this one for future
> > reference. I suggested to the customer to get a new modem and was
> wondering
> > what you think. It worked fine until yesterday. Nonew hardware or
software
> > installed. Its a usr 56k faxmodem (hardware) . He gets back the error
> there
> > is no response from the modem. Under device manager there was no listing
> for
> > modems at all, the usr was under other devices. He claims its always
been
> > like that, but of course I had him remove it from there and also from
the
> > modems control panel and reboot. New hardware was found, and he had his
> > install CD which I walked him through. Everything went fine and the
modem
> > emulated its own com port. But the same problem exist. Through
> HyperTerminal
> > upon an AT sent direct to the com port it returns "BOOT"  at&f1 returns
> > error as does any other at command.
> > ATDT# as well comes back with error.  Any thoughts?

> It's damaged. Something happened to the modem; whether it was a power
surge,
> a lightning strike, an attempt to flash the modem which got interrupted (a
> power hit), or just some component going blooey (highly technical term
> meaning "sumpin' bad happened") is pretty much unimportant at this point.

> His modem should still be under warranty (assuming it isn't actually an
OEM
> model he bought at a computer show or through an auction site) and he can
> get it repaired. He'll need to contact 3Com, on his dime unfortunately.

> Hooda

hooda, toasted USR?

Post by Rick Collin » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I believe the modem needs to be flashed.  The "BOOT" response
indicates that.
How that happened is a mystery, though.

Quote:> Hi Hooda,
>                I am just looking for your opinion on this one for
future
> reference. I suggested to the customer to get a new modem and was
wondering
> what you think. It worked fine until yesterday. Nonew hardware or
software
> installed. Its a usr 56k faxmodem (hardware) . He gets back the
error there
> is no response from the modem. Under device manager there was no
listing for
> modems at all, the usr was under other devices. He claims its always
been
> like that, but of course I had him remove it from there and also
from the
> modems control panel and reboot. New hardware was found, and he had
his
> install CD which I walked him through. Everything went fine and the
modem
> emulated its own com port. But the same problem exist. Through
HyperTerminal
> upon an AT sent direct to the com port it returns "BOOT"  at&f1
returns
> error as does any other at command.
> ATDT# as well comes back with error.  Any thoughts?

> Frank

> --

1. ATTN: Hooda Gest 3Com USR faxmodem

It should dial with tone by default. You don't need to reprogram the modem
at all. Open Control Panel, Modems, Dialing Properties, and chceck the
correct choice.

You cannot overcome the phone line's limitations with some "magic" string.
The telco is obligated to provide you with a voice quality line. That
guarantees you nothing in terms of data or modem speed. It can be clean as a
whistle and pass all their tests and you could get nothing more than
14400bps connections.

What is likely the cause of your problems is multiple analog/digital
conversions in the path or on your line to the telco. You can confirm this
yourself by querying the modem with aty11 after disconnecting from your ISP.
This will give you two columns; the left one is frequency, the right one is
level. Subtract the level at 3300 from the level at 3750. If it's greater
than 25, you most likely have multiple conversions.

Can this be changed? Maybe, but not likely. It depends upon how far you are
from the telco switch which provides your dialtone, whether they have
sufficient copper pairs available, and if they are willing to do change over
for you. They aren't required to, as I said before.

Hooda

2. Programs on remote UN

3. Hooda Gest 3Com USR faxmodem

4. Need help programming function keys!!!

5. Attn:Hooda:re: 178700 USR modem only connects at 28.8

6. CF

7. Hooda, 3Com USR #2977, Any advice?

8. Cannot execute repllog.exe

9. Need Hooda help on 3com/usr voice faxmodem modem 5605

10. hooda, usr no dial tone ,very weird...

11. USR 00178300 HEY, Hooda, get a load of this....

12. USR- upgrade the upgrade ? (?Hooda?Rick?)

13. Another USR issue Hooda