Help needed on Modem installation.

Post by Wanfeng M » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 10:21:26

I am looking for help to solve the problems encounted during
my modem installation.

My computer is a IMB compatible (DX66). Modem is a v.32 14,400bps one.
The computer has two serial prots (com1 and com2 as defaulted).
A mouse occupies port 1 (with com1).

My problems are as follows:

  1.  How can I use com2 for the internal modem?
      When I simply set Modem jumper to com2, it won't work.

  2. When I set modem jumper to com3 or com4, I could run Modem
     through com3 only with comm. software.  The software would
     not allow me set port 4  though modem jumper was set on com4.
     It said port 4 not available.
     (note: the 3rd com address is 2E8, should be used as com4 as
     my controller card manual says.)

  3. If I run modem with com3 or com4, another problem arised because
     it somehow interfare the mouse function.

  4. Things even turned wierd this evening after I installed a CD-ROM
     driver.  Now the comm. software display a message: port 3 operate
     through bios.  I am totally out of control of it.  I can't use
     Modem at all.

I hope I have presented the problem clearly with my limited compute
knowledge. Sorry to bother the net experts if the problems are too simple.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wanfeng Mou

Post by Robby Berner US/ENI1 60/1/65 #68 » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 16:01:22

> I am looking for help to solve the problems encounted during
> my modem installation.

> My computer is a IMB compatible (DX66). Modem is a v.32 14,400bps one.
> The computer has two serial prots (com1 and com2 as defaulted).
> A mouse occupies port 1 (with com1).

> My problems are as follows:

>   1.  How can I use com2 for the internal modem?
>       When I simply set Modem jumper to com2, it won't work.

>   2. When I set modem jumper to com3 or com4, I could run Modem
>      through com3 only with comm. software.  The software would
>      not allow me set port 4  though modem jumper was set on com4.
>      It said port 4 not available.
>      (note: the 3rd com address is 2E8, should be used as com4 as
>      my controller card manual says.)

>   3. If I run modem with com3 or com4, another problem arised because
>      it somehow interfare the mouse function.

> Thanks!

> Wanfeng Mou

Normally COM1 and COM3 use the same interrupt value (IRQ). COM2 and COM4 also.
If you have the mouse connected to COM1 it's usual to use COM2 or COM4 for
the modem.
There is probably another program/driver which uses COM2 and/or the same
interrupt, otherwise you wouldn't have problems with that. Try to use a program to analyse the use of the COM ports and their interrupts (e.g. Norton...)
With your modem software you can change not only the COM port but also the used
interrupt value by the modem.
Hope this helps a little bit.

Robby

         v              Robby Berner
|  A L C A T E L  |     Dept. US/ENI
        SEL             Lorenzstr. 10     Phone  :  ++49-711-821-6879