USR Rom update question

Post by Craig Brauckmill » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 02:50:47

Hello all,

After reading a lot of posts about the 11-30-94 ROM and the problems
it fixes, I still have a couple of questions.

1.  My friend and I both purchased the Sportster 28.8 external about
a month apart, his has the 8-24-94 ROM and mine has the 11-30-94 ROM.
Whe we connect and transfer large files, it starts out above 3000 cps, but
will eventually slow down to around 1700 cps.  Is this due to his 8-30-94
ROM?

2.  If so, how can my friend get the updated ROM and will it cost anything?
Is it a flash ROM or does he have to get a new chip?

3.  If I use the &N14&U12 combo, will this solve our problems of speed loss?

TIA

SSSSHHHHH.  Do you smell something????
- Craig Brauckmiller

USR Rom update question

Post by David Badovin » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 09:22:30

> After reading a lot of posts about the 11-30-94 ROM and the problems
> it fixes, I still have a couple of questions.

> 1.  My friend and I both purchased the Sportster 28.8 external about
> a month apart, his has the 8-24-94 ROM and mine has the 11-30-94 ROM.
> Whe we connect and transfer large files, it starts out above 3000 cps, but
> will eventually slow down to around 1700 cps.  Is this due to his 8-30-94
> ROM?

It is probably due more to the phone line conditions than to the modems.
The 8-24-94 ROM works well with other USR sportsters v.34 modems. Its
problem was that it wouldn't work well with Rockwell chip v.34 modems.

Quote:> 2.  If so, how can my friend get the updated ROM and will it cost anything?
> Is it a flash ROM or does he have to get a new chip?

There is a chip-swap program through US Robotics. He can call 1 800 543
5844 and ask for his free ROM chip swap. It takes a while to get the new
chip. Some people get them in 2 weeks, but mine took 5 weeks to come. It
depends on their supplies.

USR Rom update question

Post by Larry Min » Wed, 08 Mar 1995 12:34:25

Quote:>Hello all,

>After reading a lot of posts about the 11-30-94 ROM and the problems
>it fixes, I still have a couple of questions.

>1.  My friend and I both purchased the Sportster 28.8 external about
>a month apart, his has the 8-24-94 ROM and mine has the 11-30-94 ROM.
>Whe we connect and transfer large files, it starts out above 3000 cps, but
>will eventually slow down to around 1700 cps.  Is this due to his 8-30-94
>ROM?

That is *one* possibility.

Quote:>2.  If so, how can my friend get the updated ROM and will it cost anything?
>Is it a flash ROM or does he have to get a new chip?

SInce you both have V.34 Sportsters, there is *absolutely* no cost to your friend
to replace the ROM in his modem.  But, it will take time.   5 to 7 weeks usually
separate the phone call to USR's fulfillment house and actual delivery of the new
ROM, regardless of what the people on the phone say.  The number to call is
1-800-543-5844 in the US.

Quote:>3.  If I use the &N14&U12 combo, will this solve our problems of speed loss?

Can't answer that one.

Larry

1. USR 28.8 Rom update???

        I keep hearing about this 4/18/95 ROM update.  I have a USR 28.8
Sportster.  It is internal.  Do I need this rom update?  I would like to
know, because I sometimes have problems with my dropping carriers etc.

                                                        Simon Hon

2. adpro and fargo Primera help please

3. Concerning USR's flash ROM update program

4. CNAME stuff in Bind8.2

5. USR Sporster v.34 ROM Update

6. only one comment type?

7. USR 28.8 ROM update from BBS - Not Yet

8. RAID ARRAYS AND DISKTABS

9. USR rom update problem

10. USR Promised Rom Update <PHOOEY>

11. USR V.Everything Flash-Rom-Update

12. USR Courier 6/04/96 Flash Rom Update

13. Concerning USR's flash ROM update program