Modem keeps dropping connection

Post by Kevi » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:50:30

 I have 2 modems and both of them keep dropping my connection to the
net.  I think my lines are good, and I have fiber optics on my lines,
could the fiber cause the modem to drop a connection?  Anyone have any
suggestions?

--
-Kevin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Modem keeps dropping connection

Post by Hooda Ges » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:05:07

Quote:> I have 2 modems and both of them keep dropping my connection to the
> net.  I think my lines are good, and I have fiber optics on my lines,
> could the fiber cause the modem to drop a connection?  Anyone have any
> suggestions?

Having fiber doesn't mean you can't have problems on the line. Fiber optic
lines in your neighborhood means the "local loop" (the route between your
house and your telco central office) is mostly digital. There can be
problems at the point the circuit becomes digital, in the digital portion
(timing, usually), or on the analog side (inside your house).

You need to find out the reason for disconnect. That can usually be
determined by examining the post-call diagnostics of the modem. Since you
didn't provide the make/model modems you are using, I can't tell you the
command to use to query the modem for this.

Hooda

Post by Kevi » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:07:07

> > I have 2 modems and both of them keep dropping my connection to the
> > net.  I think my lines are good, and I have fiber optics on my
lines,
> > could the fiber cause the modem to drop a connection?  Anyone have
any
> > suggestions?

> Having fiber doesn't mean you can't have problems on the line. Fiber
optic
> lines in your neighborhood means the "local loop" (the route between
your
> house and your telco central office) is mostly digital. There can be
> problems at the point the circuit becomes digital, in the digital
portion
> (timing, usually), or on the analog side (inside your house).

> You need to find out the reason for disconnect. That can usually be
> determined by examining the post-call diagnostics of the modem. Since
you
> didn't provide the make/model modems you are using, I can't tell you
the
> command to use to query the modem for this.

> Hooda

My modem is a Motorola 56k (not exactly sure of the model) and its
internal.  I can give you more info when I'm at home if you need it.

Thanks
--
-Kevin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Rick Collin » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 07:12:55

Quote:> I have 2 modems and both of them keep dropping my connection to the
> net.  I think my lines are good, and I have fiber optics on my
lines,
> could the fiber cause the modem to drop a connection?  Anyone have
any
> suggestions?

You'll have to use whatever after-call reports are available to
determine why the connection is failing. Fibre has nothing to do with
it.

Modem keeps dropping connection

Post by Kevi » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:09:03

Ok, I just ckecked my modem and it is a Motorola modemSURFER 56k
internal PnP.  How do I check the after call log?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Modem keeps dropping connection

Post by Hooda Ges » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:26:05

Quote:> Ok, I just ckecked my modem and it is a Motorola modemSURFER 56k
> internal PnP.  How do I check the after call log?

Try these:

at&v1

at#ug

It'll probably be the first one.

Hooda

Modem keeps dropping connection

Post by Kevi » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 03:34:16

where do I put them?  And how do I access, decipher them afterwords?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Modem keeps dropping connection

Post by Hooda Ges » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 06:51:41

Quote:> where do I put them?  And how do I access, decipher them afterwords?

I like the easy questions!

You use Hyperterminal. Set it up this way:

http://808hi.com/56k/x2-hyperterm.htm

Deciphering them is fairly simple for your purposes. The display will have
"Termination reason" or something similar. Just capture the result and paste
it into a reply here and we'll try to tell you what is going on.

Hooda

Post by Rick Collin » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 08:31:46

Quote:> where do I put them?  And how do I access, decipher them afterwords?

You send them to the modem using a "direct to port" connection in
Hyperterm. The results (if any) are human readable.