Is USR line test for X2 accurate?

Post by m.. » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Is the USR line test for X2 compatibility accurate?  I get 50k+ connections at
work with USR Sportster X2 external modem--used it here at home (12 miles
outside of town and work) a couple of months ago and remember getting 45k+
connections.  So, I bought a new USR Sportster X2 Internal modem (1787) for
home, installed and can't get a connection above 28k.  USR line test
(1-888-877-9248), run multiple times, says can't get X2 connection on this
line or would be very poor quality.  Believe I am using latest drivers & ROM
from USR.

Is the USR line test the final (disappointing) word for my home??  Thoughts or
comments?

Mike

p.s.--my old modem, SupraFax internal regularly got 31k connections from home.

Is USR line test for X2 accurate?

Post by Guardia » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Is the USR line test the final (disappointing) word for my home??
Thoughts or
> comments?

well, being intelligent, one would guess that using the ACTUAL x2 modem and
not getting x2 would indicate the line is unable to achieve x2..* to
your phone company, but I doubt that will help.
Even if the line test said your line was ok, if you used your x2 modem at
home and got 28.8, which would you believe?
Be logical! :)

Is USR line test for X2 accurate?

Post by John Nav » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>Is the USR line test for X2 compatibility accurate?

Not completely.

Quote:>Is the USR line test the final (disappointing) word for my home??  Thoughts or
>comments?

The final word is to try an x2 modem to several different x2 numbers,
local and long distance.

--
Best regards,

      28800 Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Is USR line test for X2 accurate?

Post by John Nav » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>USR's line test, since it's a long distance call, is actually pretty
>meaningless as far as being able to provide an accurate *PASSING* grade.
>ie, it can say that you passed when in fact on a local call there's no way
>in hell you can get an X2 call up.  However, it's real accurate at handing
>out failing grades.  If it fails you, buddy you failed.  The reason for
>this is that LD calls travel over different (ie, better) circuits than do
>your local calls.

Not necessarily.  The test can fail either way.  Many long distance
connections are not as good as local connections.  It all depends.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Post by Mike Owe » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

> >USR's line test, since it's a long distance call, is actually pretty
> >meaningless as far as being able to provide an accurate *PASSING* grade.
> >ie, it can say that you passed when in fact on a local call there's no way
> >in hell you can get an X2 call up.  However, it's real accurate at handing
> >out failing grades.  If it fails you, buddy you failed.  The reason for
> >this is that LD calls travel over different (ie, better) circuits than do
> >your local calls.

> Not necessarily.  The test can fail either way.  Many long distance
> connections are not as good as local connections.  It all depends.

> --
> Best regards,

>       28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Got a point there! Depending on who you use for Long Distance, and the
route taken, line quality can vary considerably. Also keep in mind that
all long distance calls are routed from your location to the Long
Distance provider over the same "Local Service Providers" wire. So, if
the drop to your house is noisy, it doesn't matter how, or who, you
call.