* How do I open 3 COMM PORTS at the SAME time?

* How do I open 3 COMM PORTS at the SAME time?

Post by Chris Walt » Sun, 30 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I have 2 modems and a mouse hooked to comm 2 mouse and 3+4 modems.  The
: mouse freezes when I use comm 3 no matter what irq I reassign the modem
: to.  Even tried to reassign irq in windows control panel.  Any way to get
: the 3 comms working at the same time?  thanks  adas

Changing settings in the windows contorl panel will not change
your interrupts.
You need to acually set the interrupts on your serial card.
This is done by changing the dip switches and jumpers.
Once the interrupts are set on the card make sure you
enter these settings in windows control panel.

If you want things to actually work, you must avoid using
the same interrupt for more than one device.
-Chris

Post by B.E. Johns » Sun, 30 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I have 2 modems and a mouse hooked to comm 2 mouse and 3+4 modems.  The
>mouse freezes when I use comm 3 no matter what irq I reassign the modem
>to.  Even tried to reassign irq in windows control panel.  Any way to get
>the 3 comms working at the same time?  thanks  adas

What is on COM1 and what IRQ's are you using for your ports?

       :
      /^\              To go and learn is reason enough...
 ____:   :____________________________________________________________
     :___:
   .^:_._:^.                             :
   :-:.^.:-:  B.E.Johnson                : As has always been,
   :_:|=|:_:  American Air&Space Artist  : We navigate by the stars.
   : :|.|: :                             :
   :-/|.|\-:                             : Only now...

   /^\^|^/^\                             :
 __/\\___//\__________________________________________________________
   //\   /\\
   / \\ // \\      Cover artist - James A. Michener's "SPACE"
  / /\\ //\ \

Post by Lee Dob » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>: I have 2 modems and a mouse hooked to comm 2 mouse and 3+4 modems.  The
>>: mouse freezes when I use comm 3 no matter what irq I reassign the modem
>>: to.  Even tried to reassign irq in windows control panel.  Any way to
get
>>: the 3 comms working at the same time?  thanks  adas

>>Changing settings in the windows contorl panel will not change
>>your interrupts.

>What's the point in this option then?

It's there to make sure the software settings agree with the hardware
settings. You set the hardware *first* and then use the control panel to
tell Windows what you've done. So, it's still up to you to make sure there
are no hardware conflicts. That's why people are looking forward to
Plug'n'Play systems, which do things like resolve hardware conflicts
automatically, pretty much, kinda sorta.

Lee Dobbs                     Milpitas CA            Voice: 408-946-7860

Post by Rob L » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>: I have 2 modems and a mouse hooked to comm 2 mouse and 3+4 modems.  The
>: mouse freezes when I use comm 3 no matter what irq I reassign the modem
>: to.  Even tried to reassign irq in windows control panel.  Any way to get
>: the 3 comms working at the same time?  thanks  adas
>Changing settings in the windows contorl panel will not change
>your interrupts.

What's the point in this option then?

Quote:>You need to acually set the interrupts on your serial card.
>This is done by changing the dip switches and jumpers.
>Once the interrupts are set on the card make sure you
>enter these settings in windows control panel.
>If you want things to actually work, you must avoid using
>the same interrupt for more than one device.
>-Chris

Rob.

Post by pum » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>Changing settings in the windows contorl panel will not change
>>your interrupts.

>What's the point in this option then?

The settings in the control panel are there so you can tell windows what
interrupts the ports are currently set to, not so that you can change
which interrupts the card/port is actually using.  You need to set
jumpers or change CMOS settings (for internal ports) to change the
interrupts used.

--

* How do I open 3 COMM PORTS at the SAME time?

Post by Cur » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

:>
:>>: I have 2 modems and a mouse hooked to comm 2 mouse and 3+4 modems.  The
:>>: mouse freezes when I use comm 3 no matter what irq I reassign the modem
:>>: to.  Even tried to reassign irq in windows control panel.  Any way to get
:>>: the 3 comms working at the same time?  thanks  adas
:>
:>>Changing settings in the windows contorl panel will not change
:>>your interrupts.

:>What's the point in this option then?

:It's there to make sure the software settings agree with the hardware
:settings. You set the hardware *first* and then use the control panel to
:tell Windows what you've done. So, it's still up to you to make sure there
:are no hardware conflicts. That's why people are looking forward to
:Plug'n'Play systems, which do things like resolve hardware conflicts
:automatically, pretty much, kinda sorta.

Nope.  Well sorta, but only for certain brain-dead programs and devices.
Almost all modern programs have their own setup for the port info, and
just ignore the Win control panel settings (even the Win terminal doesn't).
Unless you are using something off of the mainstream, you can ignore the
Control Panel port settings.

Now, just when I got done saying that, I need to mention that Trumpet has an
option to read *some* of the comm parameters from the Windows control
panel...some of the parameters are not changable in Trumpet (parity bits,
stop bits, ...), so if your ISP uses some odd setup, Trumpet gives you the
option to read them from Windows.

Best wishes,
Curt....

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

  (----)                 High Speed Modem Page:
 ( >__< )        http://www.teleport.com/~curt/modems.html
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

* How do I open 3 COMM PORTS at the SAME time?

Post by adas » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Although I will be taking the advice to get a bus mouse to solve the mouse/modem
conflict, I still wonder why u cannot get 3 comm ports open at the same time,
expecially if one of the ports is a mouse.  When u pull up msd.exe, Comm 1 & 3 are
on one line and Comm 2 & 4 are one another line.   This suggests that 1 & 3 or 2 & 4
will compete for the same irq, no matter how u assign the jumper/irq on the
particular device.   Is this a function of dos 6.21 or is there a way around it???

>>>: I have 2 modems and a mouse hooked to comm 2 mouse and 3+4 modems.  The
>>>: mouse freezes when I use comm 3 no matter what irq I reassign the modem
>>>: to.  Even tried to reassign irq in windows control panel.  Any way to
>>>Changing settings in the windows contorl panel will not change
>>>your interrupts.

So the control panel is not for reassigning then.

* How do I open 3 COMM PORTS at the SAME time?

Post by Dale Shuttlewor » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

: Although I will be taking the advice to get a bus mouse to solve the mouse/
: modem conflict, I still wonder why u cannot get 3 comm ports open at the same
: time, expecially if one of the ports is a mouse.  When u pull up msd.exe,
: Comm 1 & 3 are on one line and Comm 2 & 4 are one another line.   This
: suggests that 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 will compete for the same irq, no matter how
: u assign the jumper/irq on the particular device.   Is this a function of
: dos 6.21 or is there a way around it???
: thanks

[I've reformatted your text, please reduce your line length if you want
 people to follow up your posts. ]

I would be tempted to ignore what MSD tells you with respect to IRQs,
I've never found it that reliable - it may just print up what it
thinks they should rather than actually checking with the hardware.

You should be able to have a setup where COM1 is on IRQ4, COM2 is on
IRQ3 and COM3 is on another IRQ (I use 9 myself although 5 and 7 are
also commonly available on an 8 bit card and 10,11,12 are often free on
a 16 bit card).  Providing you tell Windows the hardware settings you
have made in the control panel, all should work (under Windows anyway,
some DOS programs may have problems with COM3 on a non-standard IRQ).
I seem to recall that windows is quite sensitive to whether you type
in IRQ 2 or IRQ 9 for the IRQ9 interrupt, but I can't remember which
it prefers.

                Dale.

*  Dale Shuttleworth                                                         *

Post by Sean Conne » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I have 2 modems and a mouse hooked to comm 2 mouse and 3+4 modems.  The
>mouse freezes when I use comm 3 no matter what irq I reassign the modem
>to.  Even tried to reassign irq in windows control panel.  Any way to get
>the 3 comms working at the same time?  thanks  adas

I'm curious if this is a Win limitation...I'm running OS/2 Warp and have got:

com1: mouse
com2: Courier v.34+
com3: Sportster v.34

not a problem!  hell, it's hard enough getting Win to run with 1 modem in
the background...I seriously doubt there is any way to get 2 running
along at full speed and actually do anything...

If I had a 3rd phone line I'd hook up my Courier 2400 on com4 just to do
it...

1. Help on Novell Dos 7 / Caldera Dos / Open Dos

Is Novell Dos 7 smart enough to realize there are two of the same license
numbers on a network....

I have six workstations setup with each of their own servers. I am able to see
all workstations on the network within a single workstation. I have a
startup.bat file that will map all machines to Station_A_PC shared printer
(Station_A_HP). When the last of the six call on that batch file, they receive
i/o reading network, a/r/i/f message....

Can someone please help?

Thank you in advance for help.

2. Phrase based fulltext searching

3. Can't Open Comm Port

4. FA: Picasso-II graphics card for Amiga 2/3/4000

5. usr 5683 - comm port open

6. NLB x CLB

7. Windows 95 opens Comm port on startup

8. freelance visual basic programmer wanted

9. can ta comm port be opened with hayes commands

10. open comm port

11. comm port open

12. Error msg "Could not Open Comm Port

13. RAS Error 87 while opening comm port! Help?