1. Gateway 2000 Telepath II (USR) Problem
I have a small problem with my Gateway 2000 telepath II 28.8 data/fax
modem (manufactured by USR) and I was hoping someone could shed some light
on it. The modem seems to pause during a session. In other words, the
modem seems to stop receiving and transmitting. Instead, information
seems to be stored in a buffer. After a variable amount of time (30
seconds to 2 minutes), reception/ transmission resumes. However, at no
time does this problem cause termination of my session.
The specific symptoms of the problem are as follows:
1) I begin a text based terminal session.
2) After a variable amount of time (under 5 minutes), inputted
information is no longer echoed to the display. Clicking on the modem
icon on the taskbar reveals that data is neither transmitted nor
3) After anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, reception/ transmission
resumes. Previously unechoed commands/ keystrokes are displayed and
4) The terminal session appears normal until the next instance of
Here is some specific information on the modem. Although the modem has
plug and play capability and is externally labeled as a Telepath II 28.8
fax modem, Gateway 2000 manually configured the modem as a 28.8 Sportster
internal modem. Gateway 2000 confirmed that this was correct, and
examination of the modem clearly reveals US Robotics as the manufacturer.
Modem diagnostics reveals the following (abbreviated) :
ATI4 Gateway Telepath II 33600 Fax/Voice Settings...
ATI7 Configuration Profile...
ATI7 Product type US/Canada Internal
ATI7 Options V32bis, V.FC, V.34+
ATI7 Fax Options Class 1/Class 2.0
ATI7 Clock Freq 92.0Mhz
ATI7 Eprom 256k
ATI7 Ram 64k
ATI7 EPROM date 12/1/95
ATI7 DSP date 12/1/95
ATI7 EPROM rev 2.0
ATI7 DSP rev 2.0
Now my questions. Given the above information, does anybody
1. know what may be happening?
2. know how to correct the problem?
3. know where to find documented information about the problem?
4. know if line noise could cause such a problem?
5. know how I could test such a problem?
6. know if I have a 28.8 or a 36.6 modem?
Thanks in advance for your forthcoming answers.
2. TECHNICAL: Chain reaction in Pentiums (Was: The Flaw: Pentium-Contaminated Data Persists)
3. Gateway 2000 Telepath - Not a TRUE 57.6K modem!!
4. modem server
5. Gateway 2000 TelePath modem bugs
6. Can't connect after starting up without network
7. Followup on Gateway 2000 Telepath modem fiasco
8. TeX for OS/2?
9. Gateway 2000 Telepath modem, comments??
10. Gateway 2000 Telepath Modems
11. Gateway 2000 telepath modem setup
12. Gateway 2000 - Telepath modem back orders?
13. Gateway 2000 Telepath Modems on *hold* again