2nd try: Play modem and pc speakers thru soundcard: possible?

2nd try: Play modem and pc speakers thru soundcard: possible?

Post by dom » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know if and how I can re-route the sounds of my modem speaker and
system speaker through my soundcard to my speakers? Is there a software
solution is it a hardware thing?
I did find a program that can send the sound of normal telephone conversations
to my modem speaker (folis20, at
ftp://ftp.omen.com.au/pub/files_3/comms/folis20.arj) but the sound is horrible
and this is only part of what I would like to have.

Actually this is a limited version of a question that seems to be more
complicated than I thought (I get no answers). If you can answer that one I
would really be grateful.
Max.

Here is my original question:

Here's a question that looks simple in my non-technical mind. I want to do
handsfree telephoning from the desk where I have my computer. I could buy a
handsfree telephone, but it seems to me I already have the equipment.
I have a computer with a 14k4 modem, an AWE32 soundcard, a microphone and
speakers. I don't know if my modem has voice capabilities, probably not.

As I see it a telephone is nothing more than a serial device with a microphone,
a speaker, a bell and some buttons that make beeps. All this can be done with a
soundcard, with the modem just as a way to plug in the telephone connector.

Is there more to it than this? What (shareware) software do I need?

I have seen this question posted elsewhere but haven't seen answers other than
"I know you can but I don't know how".

------------------------
(note: When responding, please send email in addition to post here)

Max van Dormolen

Post by Brett Hardcastl » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if and how I can re-route the sounds of my modem speaker and
> system speaker through my soundcard to my speakers? Is there a software
> solution is it a hardware thing?
> I did find a program that can send the sound of normal telephone conversations
> to my modem speaker (folis20, at
> ftp://ftp.omen.com.au/pub/files_3/comms/folis20.arj) but the sound is horrible
> and this is only part of what I would like to have.

> Actually this is a limited version of a question that seems to be more
> complicated than I thought (I get no answers). If you can answer that one I
> would really be grateful.
> Max.

Domo:

Try our site for some information. It has not been introduced yet, though
many people already know about it.

http://face2face.com/video.html

Brett Hardcastle
PeopleNet

2nd try: Play modem and pc speakers thru soundcard: possible?

Post by Jim Morri » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Brett: If your modem is voice capable, you can just plug the output jack
from the modem into the line-in jack of your soundcard.

> > Does anyone know if and how I can re-route the sounds of my modem
speaker and
> > system speaker through my soundcard to my speakers? Is there a

1. Play Modem and PC Speakers Thru Sound Card: Possible?

[...]

Please reply by email also.

Thanks,

2. EuroPLoP '97

3. want voicemail to ring the pc speaker or modem speaker

4. Mixing languages??

5. Speakerphone modem, soundcard, mic & speakers etc.

6. Installing AS/400 model 500 RISC system

7. Can voice modem work with speakers plugged into soundcard?

8. Modem Blaster DI5660: Static over speakers when WAVs play

9. PPP for PCs? (2nd try)

10. Possible to use modem & soundcard to record?

11. How do I play a WAV file thru Modem?

12. Playing modem games thru 2 Internet shell accounts.