TWO MODEMS ON ONLY ONE TELEPHONE LINE

Post by Z.W. Birnba » Tue, 21 Jul 1992 20:10:35

I  have  an  office  in the same building were I live
and I have a terminal with a modem at home and in my
my office.  Both  terminals have a modem (one is Hayes
the other Supra), and both modems are connected to the
same telephone line.

The problem I would like to solve, is to have both
terminals active, I mean displaying the same incoming
text, at the same time and sending commands to the
host computer.

The way things are now, if I forget to log out and hang up
from one of the terminals, I cannot do nothing from the
other one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Post by tni.. » Wed, 22 Jul 1992 23:37:34

> I  have  an  office  in the same building were I live
> and I have a terminal with a modem at home and in my
> my office.  Both  terminals have a modem (one is Hayes
> the other Supra), and both modems are connected to the
> same telephone line.

> The problem I would like to solve, is to have both
> terminals active, I mean displaying the same incoming
> text, at the same time and sending commands to the
> host computer.

There's no way to do this with full-duplex modems (that transmit
their carriers continuously); they will always interfere with each
other.

What you could do is put the two terminals on some kind of sharing
device on the EIA-232 side of a SINGLE modem.  But that would mean
running an EIA-232 cable from one to the other, which might not be
possible within the building.

The other suggestion would be to figure out some way to bump the
other station off the line, if you find you gone home and left the
office computer connected, or vice-versa.  I find that oftentime
simply going off-hook with a telephone and mashing a few touch-tones
will confuse one modem or the other enough to cause them to think
they've lost carrier and hang up.  Another alternative would be get
Call Waiting on the modem phone line, and set your S10 register a
little bit lower; then, to cause a disconnect, just call the modem
line from another phone, which will cause a Call Waiting beep and
thus a disconnection.

Another thing you could do is set up some kind of "inactivity timer"
so that if the link sits unused for more than a few minutes that it
will be automatically disconnected.  This is a feature of many
modems, but you could also set it up on the host side or in your PC
software (some packages).  I know, for example, that our Vax here
will log you off if you don't type anything for several minutes (it
warns you first).

But, of course, the easiest thing (and the safest, from a security
point of view) is to just always remember to log off whenever you
leave your office or home.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer      | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 401243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.  | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

Post by Bernard Fouc » Sun, 02 Aug 1992 10:47:53

> > I  have  an  office  in the same building were I live
> > and I have a terminal with a modem at home and in my
> > my office.  Both  terminals have a modem (one is Hayes
> > the other Supra), and both modems are connected to the
> > same telephone line.

Can't you use screen3.1 of GNU ? You should then be able to run multiple
sessions over a single RS232 link.
Bernard Fouche  VOX   : +(33) (1) 48.04.56.30  FAX :  (33) (1) 48.04.98.95|

Postal Mail : CPIO S.A., 13-15 Rue de la Verrerie, 75004 Paris, France

1. Two modems on one telephone line

Mabe somebody can help me. I want connect two modems and I can't use
telephone line. ( No I can use it but I can't choose telephone numbers
beacouse I bouth modems I have in my house , and I have only one telephone
line.). I know that I can connect computers by Null Modem , that mean by
RS  without modems but I must use modems. How modem work at lease lines?

                                Lukasz Dutka

2. waiting for and getting the ascii code of a keypressed (ie esc & f2)

3. Compaq Presario 1410 monitor w/S3 Trio V+

4. Two apartments on one telephone line

5. TOASTER + NEW CAMERA = PROBLEMS

6. Two Apartments on One Telephone Line

7. Executing files from NT4.0 on Samba Share

8. Two phone lines, one works one doesn't

9. Configuring two PRI lines: one 5ESS and one DMS

10. How do i use Two ISPs, Two Modems, and Two phone lines together

11. Two lines; two modems; two shared connections; is it possible?

12. Need to Convert One Line Phone to Two Line