So, ZyXEL's new modems are delayed, and it ain't the software...

So, ZyXEL's new modems are delayed, and it ain't the software...

Post by Patrick Vervoo » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 04:38:12

Since ZyXELs modems are delayed, and it's because of a hardware problem,
it would be nice if the modems, when they come out in februari 1995, had
all the nifty protocols another modems has.

Yup, I'm talking about V.FC and V.Terbo!

Of course, I know they are inferior to V.34, but since I run a BBS I would
like to be compatible with as much modems as possible, and the fact is,
there will still be quite a lot of V.FC and V.Terbo modems around in
february 1995.

So, how about it, ZyXEL?

Patrick.

Post by Gert Doeri » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 08:31:36

>Since ZyXELs modems are delayed, and it's because of a hardware problem,
>it would be nice if the modems, when they come out in februari 1995, had
>all the nifty protocols another modems has.
>Yup, I'm talking about V.FC and V.Terbo!

What's "nifty" about those? They are unreliable at best.

gert
--
Yield to temptation ... it may not pass your way again!  --  Lazarus Long
                                                            //www.muc.de/~gert

Post by Brent Mosbro » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 14:33:23

: Yup, I'm talking about V.FC and V.Terbo!

remnants of being on the bleeding edge...

: Of course, I know they are inferior to V.34, but since I run a BBS I would
: like to be compatible with as much modems as possible, and the fact is,
: there will still be quite a lot of V.FC and V.Terbo modems around in
: february 1995.

at the moment, this is not being considered for initial release.  V.34 is
just one protocol being implemented.. there are dozens of others that
will be there.  We are not completely ruling out V.FC (I would venture a
guess that we aren't planning V.32terbo though).

Its not that we don't understand that there is a group of potential
customers who would consider this a feature, but there are other factors
to consider.. overall reliability, market placement, technical philosophy
behind product design, etc.

--

Product Development, ZyXEL                 voice - 714-693-0808
WWW - http://www.zyxel.com                   BBS - 714-693-0762

Post by Jonathan Lem » Sun, 18 Dec 1994 06:23:16

>: Yup, I'm talking about V.FC and V.Terbo!

>remnants of being on the bleeding edge...

>: Of course, I know they are inferior to V.34, but since I run a BBS I would
>: like to be compatible with as much modems as possible, and the fact is,
>: there will still be quite a lot of V.FC and V.Terbo modems around in
>: february 1995.

>at the moment, this is not being considered for initial release.  V.34 is
>just one protocol being implemented.. there are dozens of others that
>will be there.  We are not completely ruling out V.FC (I would venture a
>guess that we aren't planning V.32terbo though).

Speaking of which, is there any chance of V.18 being implemented?  A lot
of government sites are required to support some sort of V.18 communication
and it would be nice if everything was in one box.
--
Jonathan

Post by Patrick Vervoo » Mon, 19 Dec 1994 23:46:55

>>Since ZyXELs modems are delayed, and it's because of a hardware problem,
>>it would be nice if the modems, when they come out in februari 1995, had
>>all the nifty protocols another modems has.

>>Yup, I'm talking about V.FC and V.Terbo!

>What's "nifty" about those? They are unreliable at best.

I don't care about that. I run a BBS and it is in _my_ best interest I
can accept as much different protocols as possible.

The same goes for calling out.

Regards,

Patrick.

1. Telocity Ain't Bad - at least where I am - Here's my experience

I used this group to get a feel for DSL providers before I picked
Telocity. Read some good comments and the fact they weren't going to
lock me into a one year agreement was a plus. They also provided the
modem at n/c.

Ordered the service at their web site. They verified I was close
enough for DSL. Sent a confirming email and then waited - about 4
weeks.

Got an email two weeks ago that my modem was being shipped and they
gave me the tracking #. Came right when it was supposed to.

Installed it that night. Had some difficulty with their software, but
gave it a second try and all worked well.  I've since added a Linksys
DSL router and am now feeding very fast access (avg > 450Kbps) to 3
machines.

I did send an email to the support address about something minor and
never received a response. But, I've seen the promised land and I
ain't never going back. Telocity, from my perspective, has worked
well. But keep in mind, all DSL is provisioned through your Bell
operating company, whomever they may be.

2. DebugStrings + WinDBG

3. I am looking for 'Fax answering / Voice answering' software

4. Character constants in asm ( AS11 for 'HC11)

5. Net Speed Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

6. Where to find Minix-vmd 1.6.25.1?

7. ICANN's new domains, and new.net's new domains...

8. Append to tape with Backup?

9. What's the best way to determine if a modem's a software modem?

10. 'PC'modem & 'MAC'modem - which one suitable for a dumb terminal?

11. ADSL / cable 'modem' - universal 'modem' for each?

12. Just the FAQ's m'am

13. Modem Baud Rate - There ain't no such animal.